Likelihood of a Country Producing Costumed Heroes

Armitage

You have a world identical to our own, until a worldwide event turns a small percentage of people into superhumans. It's distributed evenly, so the number of superhumans is proportional to population, e.g. 1 person in every 1,000,000.

The majority will either keep their powers secret, end up working for the government, or use their powers for a professional career. But what countries would be most likely to produce superheroes and villains? I don't just mean using one's powers to help people or commit crimes. I mean the whole nine yards, costume and everything.

What cultures have traditions of people putting on odd clothes and performing larger than life actions? Honestly, a superhuman in the USA is more likely to become a costumed hero than a superhuman in Zimbabwe.

North America obviously has extensive superhero comic books, cartoons, movies, and TV shows.This would then extend to countries with easy access to North American media. There are a couple hundred costumed heroes in North America and Western Europe now, without anyone having powers.

Mexico: Luchadors.

Japan: Anime, manga, sentai. Maybe you could include some of the more exotic fashion trends (I'm suddenly picturing a Ganguro superheroine).

Russia: There's the Bogatyr legends-superhuman warriors battling monsters and villains, but they looked like normal people. Maybe superhumans wearing historically accurate period clothing.

Greece/Italy: Heroes from Greek and Roman myth, similar to Russia, with the same issues.

Ireland: Again, ancient heroes who looked normal, for their time.

Egypt: The Wild Cards books had superhumans patterned after the Egyptian gods, who dressed appropriately, but they weren't heroes so much as the focus of a cult that had decided they were the gods reborn.

India: I know Bollywood has done the occasional superhero movie. I'm not sure how colorful the mystics and holy men of legend were.

Middle Eastern countries: Arabian Nights-style heroes maybe, like the other folklore-based countries above. Although a lot of people consider Marvel's Arabian Knight an appalling stereotype.

Things like per capita GDP or quality of life index might factor in too. If you're constantly on the verge of starvation, you're probably not going to care about putting on a costume. If you live in an oppressive dictatorship, you're probably conditioned to not attract attention.

But that's not really the point of this thread.

So what other countries would be likely to produce costumed superhumans?

Re: Likelihood of a Country Producing Costumed Heroes

A few points. Firstly, superhero genre is widely spread around the globe now, so in theory they could pop up anywhere. Superman, Spiderman and Batman are pretty iconic characters, thanks to the movies, so I think residents of every major urban area around the world would recognise them on site. Less so rural farmers in a hindustani backwater, but in population terms they're very much in the minority.

Secondly, I hate hate hate hate the assumption that US superheroes will dress up in spandex, while superheroes everywhere else will become some cheesy parody of a historical figure or some national characteristic. There's no super Abe Lincoln wandering around, or super Davy Crockett, so why must we assume that all Greek heroes will become Ares or Poseidon?! They have as much right to don the lycra and become Άτομο ψύλλων - Flea Man :)

Thirdly, it all depends how realistic you want to be. "Heroes" is probably a much more accurate reflection of how people would behave with powers than most comic books, except that it doesn't have anyone exploiting their powers for fame & fortune, which would definitely happen in the modern celebrity obsessed world. The White Wolf Aberrant game also had some interesting ideas in this area.

Secondly' date=' I hate hate hate hate the assumption that US superheroes will dress up in spandex, while superheroes everywhere else will become some cheesy parody of a historical figure or some national characteristic. There's no super Abe Lincoln wandering around, or super Davy Crockett, so why must we assume that all Greek heroes will become Ares or Poseidon?![/quote']

Personally, I find Captain Ethnics rather amusing, but stereotyping can go a bit too far.

As far as "super Abe Lincoln" and "super Davy Crockett", try Uncle Sam and the Vigilante. I think they qualify.

For what it's worth, Boomerang and Kangaroo Man were supposedly Americans! It's hard to decide which character is lamer - one who fought crime with the aid of a stick, or one who was allied with a sentient marsupial.

Finally, there are episodes of a TV series called No Heroics online. I'd link to them, but the language and themes aren't exactly family friendly. If that's not an issue, it's an interesting view of a superpowered world.

The first thing to consider is why someone would wear a "costume" apart from being a comic book geek with no sense of proportion. There are reasons.

1. You have powers that cause you to run or fly at high speeds. Speed skaters and lugers do not dress that way because they are big comic book fans. They do it to avoid drag. I've always thought that they should have had Clark Kent's clothes end up in rags when he ran so fast that the human eye couldn't see him.

2. You have powers that envelope you in a sheath of energy.

3. You have powers that cause you to flex or bend in a way that fabrics that aren't stretchy or loose-fitting (like a martial arts gi) can't accomodate.

4. You are using your powers to entertain the public. The leotard became superhero garb because they were imitating circus strongmen and acrobats. You know who dresses the most like a superhero these days ? Pop singers in their stage personae. Wrestlers. Foiling crimes in the costume from your act would be priceless publicity.

5. So your government can show everyone the hero they have on their payroll.

And then of course there are the heroes who get powers from their bizarre get up. Doctor Strange may look ridiculous, but the cape and Eye give him a lot of power.

Secondly' date=' I hate hate hate hate the assumption that US superheroes will dress up in spandex, while superheroes everywhere else will become some cheesy parody of a historical figure or some national characteristic. There's no super Abe Lincoln wandering around, or super Davy Crockett, so why must we assume that all Greek heroes will become Ares or Poseidon?! They have as much right to don the lycra and become Άτομο ψύλλων - Flea Man :)[/quote']

It certainly wasn't my intent to suggest ethnic stereotype heroes. I was just looking at iconic cultural figures that might provide inspiration to heroes, and a lot don't dress any differently than normal people, which defeats the purpose. I expressed myself poorly.

I mean, Italy has Entomo the Insect Man in the real world. Your own country has Black Arrow, Vague, The Swift, ...um...Angle-Grinder Man...

good topici'd say besides theus the united kingdom is most likely to produce supers

And why? Because they speak English, like all the superheroes in your comic books do? You can't be serious.

Spandex clad superheroes would pop up all over the world IMHO.

As far as inspiration goes, you don't always have to delve into myth or history. In the Legatusverse there is a super-strong character from India who works in the ship-breaking yards of Alang and dimantles entire ships by himself after pulling them onto the beach.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alang

The first thing to consider is why someone would wear a "costume" apart from being a comic book geek with no sense of proportion. There are reasons.

1. You have powers that cause you to run or fly at high speeds. Speed skaters and lugers do not dress that way because they are big comic book fans. They do it to avoid drag. I've always thought that they should have had Clark Kent's clothes end up in rags when he ran so fast that the human eye couldn't see him.

2. You have powers that envelope you in a sheath of energy.

3. You have powers that cause you to flex or bend in a way that fabrics that aren't stretchy or loose-fitting (like a martial arts gi) can't accomodate.

4. You are using your powers to entertain the public. The leotard became superhero garb because they were imitating circus strongmen and acrobats. You know who dresses the most like a superhero these days ? Pop singers in their stage personae. Wrestlers. Foiling crimes in the costume from your act would be priceless publicity.

5. So your government can show everyone the hero they have on their payroll.

And then of course there are the heroes who get powers from their bizarre get up. Doctor Strange may look ridiculous, but the cape and Eye give him a lot of power.

Also to keep a secret ID secret. If we are talking about a "Poof, Superpowers!" event, there is not going to be laws on the books for super-heroic actions and their legal consequences. Or in more violent parts of the world you might not the local warlord you are fighting to track down you and your family. When witness to your actions report you as "the big guy in the purple spandex" rather then "a 6' 2" man, with a mole and a scar" it makes it hard to track you down. This also flips around to why villains wear the get up. When you take off the suit, you blend.

Costumes have all sorts of hidden advantages. there's speed --when there's an emergency and every second counts, you don't have to worry about what to wear. There's laundry --the housekeeper at the Xavier Academy/Four Freedoms Plaza has much less trouble sorting the loads. There's economy --buying in bulk is cheaper.

The standard problem with uniform codes in the workplace is that female employees tend to want to express their individuality, while some colours and looks don't suit individual employees. Fortunately, superheroines are all built alike and have the same extroverted fashion sense, so the difficulties are limited to colour scheme and can be managed by restricting each team to one or two token females.

Based purely on numbers, I would guess that China would have the lion's share of superhumans. If the superhumans are not exterminated, I could see China organizing such a group as a nigh invincible army and pride of the nation. Kinda scary, no? Costume? Not likely, unless you consider dress uniforms and military regalia as costumes.

Based purely on numbers' date=' I would guess that China would have the lion's share of superhumans. If the superhumans are not exterminated, I could see China organizing such a group as a nigh invincible army and pride of the nation. Kinda scary, no? Costume? Not likely, unless you consider dress uniforms and military regalia as costumes.[/quote']

A superhuman draft would be one reason to do your heroics in a mask.

Well, a mask or head covering might be necessary if one wanted to maintain an anonymous private existence while not "adventuring". Similarly, one might want to avoid leaving fingerprints(by wearing some kind of durable skintight glove), and have an outfit that was flexible and resistant to tearing(mylar or, yes, spandex), while feeling fairly comfortable to wear. Alternatives to skintight costumes pretty much involve tightly tied loosefitting costumes like martial arts gis, or alternatively a tight-fitting leather jacket or "battle vest" over that mylar leotard/body stocking. Symbolism might be useful and more marketable, so a hero might wear a big letter, a bright color scheme, or something fitting a particular animal or mythical or iconic motif(e.g, some sort of flying rodent theme).

Well' date=' a mask or head covering might be necessary if one wanted to maintain an anonymous private existence while not "adventuring". Similarly, one might want to avoid leaving fingerprints(by wearing some kind of durable skintight glove), and have an outfit that was flexible and resistant to tearing(mylar or, yes, spandex), while feeling fairly comfortable to wear. Alternatives to skintight costumes pretty much involve tightly tied loosefitting costumes like martial arts gis, or alternatively a tight-fitting leather jacket or "battle vest" over that mylar leotard/body stocking. Symbolism might be useful and more marketable, so a hero might wear a big letter, a bright color scheme, or something fitting a particular animal or mythical or iconic motif(e.g, some sort of flying rodent theme).[/quote']

Something like a Gi might be the best choice anyhow for secret identity purposes. If someone opens your bag, trunk, or closet and finds a Spider-Man costume or a Superman costume, you're gonna have a hard time explaining it. But a gi? Millions upon millions of people own gis. If your nosy girlfriend opens your bag and finds one, she probably won't instantly jump to the conclusion that "You're Kung Fu Man!" without at least SOME other evidence.

well in the case of an army of Chinese Super Heroes that all have their own set of super powers

they would probably be working in individually tailored teams with between 5 to 9 members

put 20 on a field and there's bound to be some confusion

so flags are raised so they know who there allies are

My biggest problem with your question is that you haven't completely defined what it is you want. Specifically, what are your criteria for defining costumed heroes? What are the whole nine yards you speak of?

My take on it is that you'll find costumed sorts everywhere except places with a strong, centralized authority with a policy of state service, with China and North Korea being the obvious ones. I'm not so certain about Russia. Do they still have a draft?

All cultures are full of characters with supernatural abilities and distinctive modes of dress, so most people would be familiar with the concept. The context of why might be different, but anyone not hiding it will end up with a costume or uniform of some variety. Some will be for functionality, others for sheer flamboyance, and some for secret identity.

Codenames will follow fast, largely just from cultural expectation.

But another aspect of your question is in what countries are people less likely to hide their powers or just use them mundanely/for work. And that I can't help you with. At the rarity you've mentioned, and with a truly random distribution, it would really depend on who was selected and their personality.