"Leadership" multipower

lendrick

Greets!

I'd like to put together a Leadership type multipower for a commander or squad leader. Essentially, I'd like the leader to be able to give commands that grant various bonuses to friendlies.

Here's what I want to have happen:

• Leader makes a PRE roll.
  • If successful, all friendlies in range gain a temporary, fixed bonus to some stat (OCV, DCV, etc)
  • I don't want the leader to have to make additional rolls (such as attack rolls or rolls to see how much the stat increases by)

I was looking at Aid, but it doesn't seem to work quite like this. Is there any way I can put this together?

Thanks!

Bart

Re: "Leadership" multipower

Will have to check through the rules but I would have thought Aid was indeed the thing for this.

You could buy the Aid with a variable effect, standard effect and area effect. You essentially build a compound power

6 points of Aid to chosen stat

+6 points of Aid to chosen stat 14 or less

+6 points of Aid to chosen stat 11 or less

+6 points of Aid to chosen stat 9 or less

+6 points of Aid to chosen stat 7 or less

And there you have up to 30 points of Aid if you make the right roll.

Rather than fixed numbers you could make the rolls relative to PRE or some other stat. You could also add limitations to reflect the impact of combat factors etc.

A bit more detail on what you want to accomplish and I might come up with a more detailed build.

Doc

Okay, a bit of background on where I'm coming from. My players and I are all rank beginners at Hero (coming from D&D/Pathfinder) so for the time being I'm trying to keep combat as simple as possible by reducing the number of rolls needed. On the other hand, I want this power to reflect the fact that it's derived from the leader's Presence. It's not intended to be magical or psionic or something of that nature, more that the leader is issuing a specific order and raising the morale of the troops. I don't want to let people choose an arbitrary characteristic to increase -- I'd rather pre-make a few different orders that increase a particular characteristic (or set of characteristics). I also want to make sure that no more than one order can be active at one time. It doesn't make sense to tell people to take cover and simultaneously make an all-out attack.

I'm torn on whether or not the power should cost endurance to maintain or just have a fixed duration, however I don't really like the fading mechanic that the standard Aid power has.

It is not rules legal, but as a GM I might consider allowing you to apply the UOO advantage (not permited on characteristics by rules as written) to the max bonus of the characteristic with a Requires a roll equal to the Leader's PER

You might also want Selective on the Area of Effect so that you don't affect your enemies. In that case whether you need to make an attack roll to affect your friends or not is going to be up to the GM (but since it's a friendly power I'd personally let you have it without the attack rolls, unless maybe in the thick of battle).

I did a basic conversion of 2nd Edition AD&D bard song a while back, but it's on my other hard drive which I don't have access to right at the moment. Maybe I'll be able to post it later.

Okay' date=' a bit of background on where I'm coming from. [/quote']

Good. I think I see part of what you want - though this ony simplifies combat in that it provides elements that the players are familiar with - though that is itself a good thing.

My players and I are all rank beginners at Hero (coming from D&D/Pathfinder) so for the time being I'm trying to keep combat as simple as possible by reducing the number of rolls needed. On the other hand, I want this power to reflect the fact that it's derived from the leader's Presence. It's not intended to be magical or psionic or something of that nature, more that the leader is issuing a specific order and raising the morale of the troops. I don't want to let people choose an arbitrary characteristic to increase -- I'd rather pre-make a few different orders that increase a particular characteristic (or set of characteristics).

The choice I built into the last suggestion was for the leader to decide not each of the individual recipients. :-) The variable power effect was to allow the leader to vary what was being aided at any one time.

I also want to make sure that no more than one order can be active at one time. It doesn't make sense to tell people to take cover and simultaneously make an all-out attack.

That is a limitation on the power. I would indicate that the application of another Leadership Aid immediately causes the benefits of the first one to disappear. The value of that limitation would depend on the next part - duration.

I'm torn on whether or not the power should cost endurance to maintain or just have a fixed duration' date=' however I don't really like the fading mechanic that the standard Aid power has.[/quote']

Well, this is pretty much up to you. In your situation I think that you should avoid as much book-keeping as possible and fade rates are simply too much book-keepng even for people that have been playing the game for a long time. As you are GM this is not an issue - you make the decisions and adapt the game to your situation.

You should only bring the options you feel comfortable with into your game. Some people do not track END for simplicities sake, fade rates are less important than that.

What you need to decide is how long you think that the effect should remain. Effectively most Aids last for about 12 seconds before they begin to fade. You could decide that they last a turn (in Fantasy Hero that is usually three or four actions for the average hero). I think that a 12 second aid (then it all disappears) would mean that the limitation discussed previously would be worth about +1/4. But you would also get a +1/4 limitation for the fact that the aid completely faded all at once 12 seconds after application - for less book-keeping make it the next time the recipient takes a recovery (including post segment 12 ones).

How does that sound??

Doc

If you don't mind limiting the possible effects, a simple Overall Level or two usable by the group can cover a huge amount of circumstances (to hit, to damage, skills, EGO rolls, etc.). Then you don't need a Multipower at all.

You might also want Selective on the Area of Effect so that you don't affect your enemies. In that case whether you need to make an attack roll to affect your friends or not is going to be up to the GM (but since it's a friendly power I'd personally let you have it without the attack rolls' date=' unless maybe in the thick of battle).[/quote']

The Advanced Players Guide (APG) expands on Selective to give options for all friendly/hostile targets.

Greets!

I'd like to put together a Leadership type multipower for a commander or squad leader. Essentially, I'd like the leader to be able to give commands that grant various bonuses to friendlies.

• If successful, all friendlies in range gain a temporary, fixed bonus to some stat (OCV, DCV, etc)
  • I don't want the leader to have to make additional rolls (such as attack rolls or rolls to see how much the stat increases by)

I was looking at Aid, but it doesn't seem to work quite like this. Is there any way I can put this together?

Thanks!

Bart

Here is my solution.

One, a mechanic that a leader has to grant the powers to his troops

Two the various Commands that a leader igth have and distribute

5 Command : Naked Advantage: Usable Simultaneously (up to 8 people at once; +3/4), Grantor can only grant the power to others, Recipient must be within Limited Range of the Grantor for power to be granted for up to 20 Active Points; Limited Power: UOO only appliesd to PRE based Command Powers Power loses about half of its effectiveness (-1), Lockout : Only One Command Power per Target (-1/2), Requires A Roll (Characteristic roll, -1 per 20 Active Points modifier: PRE; -1/4) 1

Notes: Grantor can only lend power to others -1/2Recipient must be within Limited Range of Grantor for Power to be granted -1/4

Command Leadership

17 Bounding Overwatch: Running +10m (22m total), Usable [As Second Mode Of Movement] Swimming (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); Limited Power: Only for calculation of half move Power loses less than a fourth of its effectiveness (-0)

20 We Move and Perceive as One: Danger Sense (immediate vicinity, in combat, Function as a Sense, Intuitional, Transmit) 12-

16 +2 with Ranged Combat

Notes: Substitution of Melee lvls if unit is melee based

I recently made a Cap homage, and gave him "Tactical Leader: Aid OCV 3d6, AOE 4m radius, Selective, Requires a Tactics Skill Roll, Limited Power (affected allies must be able to hear command and must follow it), Incantations"

So as a 1/2 action he can shout something for his teammates (within 4m of him) to do, makes a Tactics Skill roll (and you can ditch that part if you want, to cut down on rolling), and if it works everyone gets 3d6 cp towards their ability to punch the bad guy in the face (for almost always a +1 to hit, and really good odds for a +2).

For the points, it came out pretty well, I think. Something similar might work for what you have in mind.

Found it.

17  Bardic Song:
        Multipower: 30 point
           Limitations on All Slots:
              No Range (-1/2);
              Concentration: 1/2 DCV (-1/4);
              Incantations (-1/4)
              [ reserve cost: 15 ]
           Inspiration
              Aid: 2d6;
                 Variable Effect: any CV, Dex, Con, Ego, Speed, or Rec (+1/2);
                 Area of Effect: 16m radius, Selective (+1);
                 No Range (-1/2);
                 Others Only (-1/2);
                 Concentration: 1/2 DCV (-1/4);
                 Incantations (-1/4)
              [ fixed slot cost: 1; 30 active; 12 real; 3 End ]
           Counter Magical Words
              Drain (Suppress): 1.5d6;
                 Variable Effect: any magic based on song/words (+1/2);
                 Area of Effect: 8m radius (+1/2);
                 No Range (-1/2);
                 Costs End to maintain (-1/2);
                 Concentration: 1/2 DCV throughout (-1/2);
                 Incantations throughout (-1/2)
              [ fixed slot cost: 1; 30 active; 10 real; 3 End/Phase ]

Note the bard would have to keep the effect up or it would quickly fade.

I'm torn on whether or not the power should cost endurance to maintain or just have a fixed duration' date=' however I don't really like the fading mechanic that the standard Aid power has.[/quote']Maybe you could buy whatever power it is as the Boost form of Aid and tack on the Time Limit Advantage to it. That is sort of what Time Limit is designed for.

I'd keep it simple - one (or more) overall levels with usable by others. That way the leader can add +1 to attack, or defence - but also to things like a roll to resist mind control or fear-related (ie: PRE) effects. He can also help (for example) CON rolls to keep weary trooper on the march, help them make coordination rolls to hit a foe together, etc, etc. Simple and flexible: no dice rolling involved and no worry about area effect - as long as they stay within sight of the leader, they are good to go. I might limit it by "Must be able to hear as well as see leader (-1/4)" if it reflects commands, but that's about it. If he bought two levels, he could also use it to increase damage by one DC.

Cheers, Mark

Here's my attempt at it. Since they're part of a framework, the leader can only give one command at a time. Each command can affect up to 8 people of the leader's choice, provided they're within 6 meters. At that point, the people affected can move away, but the command expires after one minute. I stayed away from Aid and Boost because this way was actually a bit cheaper, and it feels simpler. Thoughts?

[b]Cost    Power[/b]
14      [b]Leadership[/b]: Multipower, 25-point reserve,  (25 Active Points); all slots
       Requires a PRE roll (Characteristic roll; -1/2), Incantations (-1/4)
1f      [b]1)[/b]  [i]Attack![/i]: +2 OCV, Usable Simultaneously (within 6m) (up to 16 people
       at once; +1 1/2), Recipient must be within Limited Range of the Grantor
       for power to be granted (25 Active Points); Time Limit (1 Minute; -2),
1f      [b]2)[/b]  [i]Take Cover![/i]: +2 DCV, Usable Simultaneously (within 6m) (up to 16
       people at once; +1 1/2), Recipient must be within Limited Range of the
       Grantor for power to be granted (25 Active Points); Time Limit (1
       Minute; -2), Requires a PRE roll (Characteristic roll; -1/2),
       Incantations (-1/4)
1f      [b]3)[/b]  [i]Hold the Line![/i]: +20 STUN, Usable Simultaneously (within 6m) (up to
       16 people at once; +1 1/2), Recipient must be within Limited Range of
       the Grantor for power to be granted (25 Active Points); Time Limit (1
       Incantations (-1/4)
1f     [b] 4)[/b]  [i]We're in this Together![/i]: +5 Teamwork, Persistent (+1/4), Usable
       Simultaneously (within 6m) (up to 8 people at once; +1 1/4), Recipient
       must be within Limited Range of the Grantor for power to be granted (25
       Active Points); Time Limit (1 Minute; -2), Requires a PRE roll
       (Characteristic roll; -1/2), Incantations (-1/4)
[b]Powers Cost: 18[/b]

Here's my attempt at it. Since they're part of a framework, the leader can only give one command at a time. Each command can affect up to 8 people of the leader's choice, provided they're within 6 meters. At that point, the people affected can move away, but the command expires after one minute. I stayed away from Aid and Boost because this way was actually a bit cheaper, and it feels simpler. Thoughts?

[b]Cost    Power[/b]
14      [b]Leadership[/b]: Multipower, 25-point reserve,  (25 Active Points); all slots
1f      [b]1)[/b]  [i]Attack![/i]: +2 OCV, Usable Simultaneously (within 6m) (up to 16 people
1f      [b]2)[/b]  [i]Take Cover![/i]: +2 DCV, Usable Simultaneously (within 6m) (up to 16
       Incantations (-1/4)
1f      [b]3)[/b]  [i]Hold the Line![/i]: +20 STUN, Usable Simultaneously (within 6m) (up to
       Incantations (-1/4)
1f     [b] 4)[/b]  [i]We're in this Together![/i]: +5 Teamwork, Persistent (+1/4), Usable

I'd suggest putting a boost to PRE in as well, so the leader can help the team withstand PRE attacks.

What good's a leader who can't help morale?

Lucius Alexander

House of the Palindromedary

[b]Cost    Power[/b]
       Incantations (-1/4)
       Incantations (-1/4)

That's pretty sick! I think my players just met their next super villain! A guy with this multi power could effectively lead a group of normals against a group of low level supers with all the bonuses he can heap on. It kind of reminds me if Bless or Bardic music from D&D :sick: Sorry... that seems to happen every time I mention that game.

Greets!

Thanks!

Bart

Multi (XX) RSR: "Leadership" (a Power skill based on Pres)

OR just a list of bonus's...

Like say +2 All Combat (16, 20 in 6TH) RSR: Leadership, Usable by others (x#) (say x8...) Lim: subjects must follow orders/acept leader as such...

I don't think Levels belong in a multi, but I really don't know much about 6 as yet...

Example power +X running "Get you goat smelling *** up that hill!"

+X STR "Put yur Back into it!" etc....

Just depends on what you want, and how much you'd like to spend...

Opps or just do like all those posts I didn't read first...;)

Here's an updated version. I liked the bit where it increases PRE versus Presence attacks, so I added that. I also like the suggestion that it be limited to characters who are actually following orders, so I added that too. Here's the new version:

Multipower, 27-point reserve, (27 Active Points); all slots Requires a PRE roll (Characteristic roll; -1/2), Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Recipients must be following follow leader's orders to receive benefit.; -1/2), Incantations (-1/4):

Attack!
(1f CP)

• +2 OCV, Usable Simultaneously (within 6m) (up to 8 people at once; +1 1/4), Recipient must be within Limited Range of the Grantor for power to be granted (22 Active Points); Time Limit (1 Minute; -2), Requires a PRE roll (Characteristic roll; -1/2), Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Recipients must be following follow leader's orders to receive benefit.; -1/2), Incantations (-1/4)

• Costs END

Take Cover!
(1f CP)

• +2 DCV, Usable Simultaneously (within 6m) (up to 8 people at once; +1 1/4), Recipient must be within Limited Range of the Grantor for power to be granted (22 Active Points); Time Limit (1 Minute; -2), Requires a PRE roll (Characteristic roll; -1/2), Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Recipients must be following follow leader's orders to receive benefit.; -1/2), Incantations (-1/4)

• Costs END

Hold the Line!
(1f CP)

• +20 STUN, Usable Simultaneously (within 6m) (up to 8 people at once; +1 1/4), Recipient must be within Limited Range of the Grantor for power to be granted (22 Active Points); Time Limit (1 Minute; -2), Requires a PRE roll (Characteristic roll; -1/2), Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Recipients must be following follow leader's orders to receive benefit.; -1/2), Incantations (-1/4)

• Costs END

We're in this Together!
(1f CP)

• +5 Teamwork, Persistent (+1/4), Usable Simultaneously (within 6m) (up to 8 people at once; +1 1/4), Recipient must be within Limited Range of the Grantor for power to be granted (25 Active Points); Time Limit (1 Minute; -2), Requires a PRE roll (Characteristic roll; -1/2), Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Recipients must be following follow leader's orders to receive benefit.; -1/2), Incantations (-1/4)

• Costs END

Fight the Good Fight!
(1f CP)

• +10 PRE, Persistent (+1/4), Usable Simultaneously (within 6m) (up to 16 people at once; +1 1/2), Recipient must be within Limited Range of the Grantor for power to be granted (27 Active Points); Time Limit (1 Minute; -2), Limited Power Power loses about two-thirds of its effectiveness (Only versus Presence attacks; -1 1/2), Requires A PRE Roll (Characteristic roll; -1/2), Incantations (-1/4)

• Costs END

Powers Total: 17