How do you use The Champions in your campaign?

Escafarc

Re: How do you use The Champions in your campaign?

I use them as the Team from Detroit/Millenium City. The "Premier" title gets batted around about The Justice Squadron and The Sentinals, while the Champions are seen as too 'new' to be considered "Premier". I've "used" (mentioned in news reports, had show up, etc) The Champions, Strike Force, the Justice Squadron, the Sentinals, the Guardians (from the Champions comics), plus my 'home grown' teams (former campaigns, filling in locations like Los Angeles and Seattle).

With my PCs based out of Chicago, they're fairly close (distance-wise) to Millennium City and the Champions. S-Squad has a good relationship with the Champions (in fact, Styx is dating Witchcraft on and off). Since the PC heroes have minimal magical knowledge / mystic skills, if anything magical comes up they may confer with Witchcraft on it, though they do have a local mage (Rubicon) that they also work with.

As far as power level, the Champions are comparable to S-Squad, and both are considered major hero groups in my world.

They are world famous cartoon and comic characters having starred in their own lighthearted Saturday morning cartoon in the 70's & 80's and later a more serious take after the turn of the century. They are some the most well known fictional characters in the world (Foxbat is as well known as the Joker is to us).

If I ever run a Champions game I would very likely do a homegrown DCU setting.

I had the Champions fall apart after Nighthawk faked his death in order to infiltrate VIPER. Defender is still rather bitter about that fact, actually. Defender and Witchcraft were important in bringing the players together into the League of Champions, which is a spiritual descendant of the Champions, expect with over 30 members*. Nighthawk is operating which Project Mongoose, a group that occasionally works with the, eh, less publicity minded characters. The other Champions have joined the League, or retired.

While I don't use them in my present campaign, in the past I've used them in the same scale as the JLA or Avengers (actually a little closer to the latter). The team itself was founded by the 4th ed Champions and have expanded to include a few members here and there, including a chunk of the 5th ed team ...

• Seeker I: Quit the team and went to work for UNTIL as a special agent. At campaigns end, he was still working in that capacity

• Quantum: Went from member to leader of the team until she was de-powered. At campaigns end, she's been working with PRIMUS as a superhero liaison to the Champions.

• Obsidian: Has served the Champions on and off during the life of the team. At campaigns end, he was a reserve member and worked in Millennium City as one of its defenders.

• Defender III: Married Solitaire after a long courtship. The two had a short life together when Defender III was killed by The Ultimates in a raid on their base.

• Solitaire I: Married Defender III and lived briefly with him before his death. At campaigns end, she took a fraction of her inheritance and retreated to solitude to become the Mistress of Magic.

• Jaguar: Came to peace with his dual nature and was merged into a cat-man. At campaigns end, he took to being a street hero, still working hard to keep Millennium City safe.

• Starburst: Reserve member of The Champions. At campaigns end, he retired from superheroing and became a teacher of meta-human physics.

• Behemoth: The demon-fused hero served briefly with the Champions but was found to be a spy for Demon. At campaigns end, he was working to rebuild a Demon faction in Millennium City.

• Defender IV: Nephew to Defender III, he was given a prototype armor while in college and has continued the fight as the current Defender. At campaigns end, he became the leader of the Champions.

• Seeker II: Protege of Seeker I. Joined to follow in his mentor's footsteps but was killed by Green Dragon.

• Nighthawk: Brief member of The Champions. At campaigns end, he'd quit and moved to Hudson City, forming a team there with other vigilantes.

• Sapphire: Newest member of the team. At campaigns end, she had learned that she couldn't juggle team and celebrity, joining the team full-time.

• Kinetix: Reserve member that helped the team on many missions. At campaigns end, he was being called in for full-time membership.

• Ironclad: Occasional member. At campaigns end, he was contemplating joining full-time.

• Witchcraft: Replacement for Solitaire. Joined to help with a Demon-related problem and fell in love with Defender IV. At campaigns end, she was deputy leader.

And, while not a member of the team, a close ally was:

• Crusader: Faking his death, he ferreted out Crusade and took him into justice. Working occasionally with The Champions, he formed tight bonds with Seeker I and Jaguar. At campaigns end, he was offered Champions membership and was thinking it over ...

The Champions in my Campaign were based in Manhattan as of the Big Blue Book and with 5th edition I used an old Avengers adventurer from the Marvel Superheroes source book that had the team have tryouts to form a new team (such as the Great Lake Avengers or the West Coast Avengers).

The new team would be based in Millennium City while the old guard from New York would step aside and be replaced with their 5th edition counter parts. This left the new players as a part of a larger organization and the Champions as the premier hero team that they are in the universe and could be called upon in dire emergencies.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...