WWE Snark-Free Zone

Psybolt

Re: WWE Snark-Free Zone

Bit of a depressing article here on Flair... :(

Grantland: The Wrestler in Real Life

It is depressing to see a bona fide wrestling legend in such dire straits, but hopefully most current professional wrestlers will take note of it.

It reminds me of how the Macho Man was infamously "cheap," but who wasn't up to his eyeballs in debt? Mach. Who could live comfortably as a retired pro wrestler? Mach. On the other hand he's dead now, so...

That is sad. I had always thought he was someone who had money. Wasn't there a point where he was involved in buying one of the Carolina sports franchises? Never knew he had all these problems, but explains why he still kept wrestling long after he should have stopped.

There's more then a few pro's out there living well but they are folks that woulda been smart with their money regardless of career. Some of these guys though, old and new alike, they burn through it faster then they make it.

~Rex

That is sad. I had always thought he was someone who had money. Wasn't there a point where he was involved in buying one of the Carolina sports franchises? Never knew he had all these problems' date=' but explains why he still kept wrestling long after he should have stopped.[/quote']

There had been a lot of stories about Flair over the years... especially with the money aspect. The long parties and drinking blow through $ quickly.

All this stuff going on, All these Old Guys still getting in the ring (And note, I is an Old Guy, heh).......

How come I don't have a Bill DeMott/Scott Norton Tag Team wrecking Havoc in the WWE? Also, why is the awesome Talent in the X-Division now (Kid Kash, Austin Aries = Best Heels Ever) playing second fiddle to the Incredible Shrinking Kurt Angle (236, no way in hell), and the Lumbering can barely move Scott Steiner and friends?

~Rex

Matt Hardy posted a "fake" suicide note on his YouTube account last night that caused a lot of turmoil, including several calls to the police from people wanting them to check on him. Turns out, it was just Matt and his desire for attention. It is sad how far this guy has fallen. I watched the WWE OMG DVD and enjoyed the TLC match at Wrestlemania X-7. At this point, Matt was on top of his game. So was Jeff, who is returning to TNA soon. Both Hardys seem to have serious issues that need to be handled. I hope they can straighten themselves out.

As for the OMG DVD... it was a fun DVD. The #1 OMG moment was...

Hell int he Cell... Mankind thrown off and through the cage by the Undertaker. That is a well deserving OMG moment. ""Good God Almighty, Good God Almighty... they've killed him! As God is my witness, he is broken in half! That never fails to give me chills.

Matt Hardy posted a "fake" suicide note on his YouTube account last night that caused a lot of turmoil, including several calls to the police from people wanting them to check on him. Turns out, it was just Matt and his desire for attention. It is sad how far this guy has fallen. I watched the WWE OMG DVD and enjoyed the TLC match at Wrestlemania X-7. At this point, Matt was on top of his game. So was Jeff, who is returning to TNA soon. Both Hardys seem to have serious issues that need to be handled. I hope they can straighten themselves out.

As for the OMG DVD... it was a fun DVD. The #1 OMG moment was...

Hell int he Cell... Mankind thrown off and through the cage by the Undertaker. That is a well deserving OMG moment. ""Good God Almighty, Good God Almighty... they've killed him! As God is my witness, he is broken in half! That never fails to give me chills.

Agreed with your spoiler, and how he ever got up and back to the top was ridiculous.

He can't remember the match. His wife gave him grief about it. The autobiography covers this. Hard to believe but both were carrying injuries at the time.

Yeah, the Undertaker had a broken foot. You can see him grimace in pain when he dropped down into the ring from the top of the cage. Big props to both of them, but especially Mick.

I am really looking forward to the DVD coming out in October (I believe) where Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart sit down with JR and do an interview/documentary about their rivalry. Should be a fascinating look at two of the greatest in ring performers of all time.

So how did NoC play live?

I have to admit...it's surreal watching wrestling without hearing the commentators.

Buffalo was a phenomenal crowd. By luck, we ended up in a high concentration of smarks so that made watching the PPV a lot more tolerable, especially for the last 4 matches. The hometown crowd was mother[MEEP]ing PISSED Beth Phoenix didn't win and I can't blame them. I have no idea what the WWE hopes to gain by trolling the fans at this point. I can't buy Kelly Kelly as a legitimate, credible (and competent) face champion. I'm half wondering if Beth & Nattie will end up "future endeavored" and team up with Awesome Truth as fellow victims of The Conspiracy, but Creative would actually have to care about the Women's division first and consider them just as important and vital to the overall angle arc.

I see nothing to be gained by giving Cena the belt again. It cuts off del Rio at the knees -- just like every other heel on the RAW roster.

Likewise, I'm worried about Punk falling into the cracks. Don't know if they showed on air the DX crotch chop Trips gave to Punk at the end. It's looking more and more that the real feud is Trips vs. Johnny Ace and Punk becoming little more than an afterthought. The Hubby put it better elsewhere...

The storytelling problem in a nutshell...

CM Punk's character, as it currently stands, is a popular rebel. Steve Austin was in the same mold.

For a rebel to work, he needs someone to rebel against. Austin had Vince McMahon as the authority figure for him to fight against.

When it was Punk vs. Cena, that worked, because Cena was clearly the "Establishment". Even though Cena is a face, there's enough of an anti-Cena backlash that Punk could tap into, leading to a situation where both were getting both face and heel responses.

((Side issue- Cena somehow manages to be both very underrated and very overrated at the same time. I really cannot think of another wrestler who is both so loved by half the fanbase and so hated by the other half since Flair in the mid-80's. I'm not sure how many other wrestlers could have been Punk's foe and pulled it off))

Then it was Punk against HHH. That could have worked, except that the WWE doesn't want HHH to be a heel. So Punk was rebelling against a boss that the WWE didn't want us to boo.

And now there's John Laurenitus as an authority figure. Which would work... except above him is HHH, still a face, still able to overcome the odds.

Night of Champions would have worked beautifully if HHH had lost. Laurenitus could have been revealed as the man behind the strings, Punk could have realized that he was being used to replace one boss with a worse boss, HHH, Punk, and Cena could have been forced to work together to overcome Laurenitus and his army- that works on a ton of levels.

But no. HHH had to win. Therefore, he's still in charge. And therefore, there's no one for Punk to rebel against.

The WWE cannot have (a) a competent face in charge of the company and (B) a popular rebel character like Punk. They can try, but it will fail. The fans will either treat the Authority Figure like a heel, or stop cheering for the rebel.

And unfortunately, given that choice, the WWE would rather kill the Punk character than the HHH character.

I agree about Cena. He doesn't need the belt and I think his title win was simply a reaction to the ratings drop. Del Rio is definitely hurt by dropping the title here, despite the fact that I thought it was a pretty good match.

I don't agree with Punk. He is still the driving force behind the storyline and losing to HHH (after three pedigrees and a jack knife) does not hurt him. Things are moving along, and I think we'll soon see Punk & HHH together before we see them at each other's throat again. Plus, Punk is in the triple threat HiaC with Cena & Del Rio. All good things.

• 1 month later...

Neither am I but honestly, the 90 pound Barbie Doll's bore the hell out of me where as the ones like Natalya, are my type of women. Factor in Ring ability and well, I don't care how hard you work, if you can't sell it, and the reason being a combo of stupid management wanting scrawny underfed models as eye candy and potential pinup money, plus a sheer lack of ability it gets painful to watch.

Now that being said, I've been having a great time with the Natalya/Beth Phoenix running with Awesome Kongs storyline and the fact another of my favorite diva's at the moment, Eve, can hang with the big girls as well, has made for some matches I actually like watching. WWE has some great women on it's roster. But they got to be willing to take the bumps. The Bella Twins will take bumps. A.J. will take bumps like no other even if she doesn't have the mass to BUDGE a rope. Kelley Kelley though.....puts me to sleep. It's got to LOOK like a wrestling match. Not like a slap fight.

~Rex