HERO SYSTEM VEHICLE SOURCEBOOK -- What Do *You* Want To See?

Steve Long

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would add in some cool suggestions, but it looks liek to me everything has been added that can reasonably be added to the book

I do vote for not having reprints of the TUV book in the new book.

Sidebars would be useful.

I hate doing "me too" posts, but at least I did get a vote in.

Great Ideas everyone.

Originally posted by Dr. Anomaly

Submarines: very early (Turtle, Hunley), WWI U-Boats, WWII subs, nuclear subs (attack and ballistic). A couple of super-deep subs or submersible vehicles (Alvin, Trieste, NR-1).

I did a 5th edition version of the Hunley for a recent issue of Haymaker. Steve, if you think you can use it, you can have it.

Count another vote for WWII vehicles, though I enjoy playing with the vehicle creation rules so I'd probably still make up my own version :) . I'm working on the V-1 and V-2 right now, in fact (plus the never-used-in-combat manned V-1).

Some small one-person vehicles:

Jet Ski

Snowmobile

Segway (I don't know who'd use it, but why not?)

Asteroid Hopper/Miner

Wonkavator

Perhaps a few writeups of the form:

X Military Aircraft:

...full stats...

For Y Military Aircraft, use X as above, but change Flight to A, STR to B and other stat to C.

For Z Military Aircraft, use X as above, but change Flight to D, STR to E and weapon system to F.

This would save some space and allow similar vehicles to be listed together, highlighting their specific game-effect differences, rather than having to list multiple vehicles that are 95% the same as full separate write-ups.

A good sampling of fantasy/Supers vehicles like:

Supers:

Super Car w/oodles-o-gadgets

Flying Motorcycle

Spider/Insect-shaped Mecha

Fantasy:

Flying ship pulled by a dragon

Fully furnished back of a ship-size turtle

City-sized castle of a demon lord in hell, mounted on giant wheels and pulled across the arid plain by a million souls of the damned. (Did I think of this myself, or did I steal the idea from D&D somewhere? I don't remember. Oh well. They say memory is the second thing to go.)

And most importantly:

Correct the weird rule in TUV for towed vehicles that says that the animal/engine that tows the trailer must be able to *lift* it. This of course makes no sense. Horses couldn't lift most of the carts and carriages they pull. It's funny how the game system takes into account space flight, FTL, teleportation, and even time travel, but fails to understand the wheel and the inclined plane.

What I most want to see stats for are a full sized van, and a small panel truck. I'd expect any group of agents, and even some villian groups, to be in the back of one of these vehicles when they arrive. But neither has been done in 5th Edition :( (other than as 'use pickup truck')

Also useful would be an assortment of cars (compact, sports car, family sedan, luxury sedan, etc.)

And finally, most of the time I don't need a full writeup, just speed, movement, defense, body, and weight. So one page chart that listed this info (perhaps one per chapter) would be a very handy reference chart!

If you wanted to include a large number of real world modern day vehicles such as different models of sports cars, I think pages could best be spend by providing a full writeup for one, and then handle others as options. Each could have it's own line in the chapter chart :)

Can't believe I missed this thread until now.

As I don't foresee WWI or WWII sourcebooks coming out anytime soon, it would be great if there were some early-to-mid twentieth century war vehicles.

Zepplin

Tigershark (bomber)

U-boat

Panzer tanks

While we're at it, how about a Hydrofoyle

As for non-WW period vehicles, how about some mecha! Unless yer gonna reprint robot-warriors :D

First, I would have preferred if TUV had been split into multiple books, and had the materials in both these projects divided differently. I would have preferred something like Ultimate Ground Vehicle, Ultimate Mecha, etc, and have a more extensive set of write ups of that type of vehicle in each book.

Having said that, what I would like to see is a write up of a towed barge, either a modern version that is pulled by a tug, or one like the ones used on the Erie Canal.

Splitting TUV

Actually I like what they did with the TUV. It covers a wide swath of vehicle interests. Individual genere source material can be made from it. I think a line of PDF products would be good because it had negligable distribution costs and you don't have to guess how large your production run needs to be.

Its a LOT of work making good lists of vehicles, characters, equipment... I am working on a campagin book for my Post Apocalyptic world that I plan on giving away in PDF format. I am working on the equipment lists now. Oy what work! In working on my book the TUV has become extremely useful as I have to devise both very hightech and very low tech vehicles.

What would be nice is the Hero Community producing more free stuff. There are some fantastic examples of this already. Grey Hero comes to mind. I have a lot of knowlege of the American Civil War, several periods of Samurai history and WWII. It makes sense for me to begin the work on creating lists of weapons, armor and vehicles for those periods. They are things many people running Hero games could use. We'll have to see. The popularity of my Post Apocalyptic book will determine how interested I am in producing additional books. Watch the Star Hero board for an announcement for V1.0 soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Reading the weekly update about all the research Steve puts into each vehicle write-up reminds me of something else I'd like to see: How these stats were derived.

Undoubtedly, some of us will drag up some bizarre real-world vehicles to use in one campaign or another, and these will never ever show up in any official capacity, because they're so off-the-wall. Having some sort of official guidelines for how real-world stats translate into game stats would help to keep home-brewed vehicles in line with the rest of the game.

dunno if this has been mentioned but:

a vehicle that is a base, and nt like a small mobile base mind you, but a full blown this is where some characters live type base

a vehicle with a larger inside then out (wouldn't it be a suprise to the new member who climbs into the Bug and falls down a flight of stairs?)

just some of the more outlandish type things...

• 2 weeks later...

Personal Watercraft ("Jet Skis")

Have you done those yet? I am very familiar with them and specifically, what they're really capable of. I used to race them (qualified for the world finals, thank you very much...) and have a lot of experience with the day to day use of them. Let me know if I can help!

John