Kill, jail, or rehabilitate, what happens to your villains?

Supernaut

Re: Kill, jail, or rehabilitate, what happens to your villains?

In my newly formed Champions campaign all my Players must take the Code Against Killing Complication. Defeated Super Villians are teken to Strong Hold for detention whilst there lackeys will end up in the state penitentiary. IMO Super Heroes shouldn't kill except in the most extreme circumstances.

The way I tend to run things as GM is the villains that the PCs _WANT_ to kill and have the opportunity to try to kill, tend to be those that are inherently unkillable due to their powers or nature. Those the PCs might want to kill and _are_ killable, also have some of the best evasion possible and are perfectly willing to flee when things turn against them. Those that are killable and don't have phenomenal methods of escape are generally those who are just in it for the cash, and thus aren't gleefully firebombing daycare centers or the like.

If I make a villain that breaks with type, being both killable, murderous, and without nefarious escape plans, I don't expect them to last more than one plotline with the PCs.

Historically, all three have happened to villains at one point or another depending on the PCs, the particular villain and circumstances. I should note that my world doesn't have generic 'power supressors', requiring something specific to be created and tailored based on a given villains power set, often giving time for the villain to escape before something is created for them. But often they just sit there until broken out by someone who isn't incarcerated.

We should seperate killing and attempted killing I think. Major villains should rarely get killed. However' date=' major villains should be more prone to someone *wanting* to kill him. After all their the villains.[/quote']

The PCs should resist those urges, though. After all, they're the heroes.

Villains go to jail. As a GM, I'm not comfortable with 'heroes' who execute their opponents.

And they tend to stay in jail a long time, although the most clever can find ways to escape or beat the legal system.

More manageable villains compete to get selected for heavily-supervised service with lots of precautions that counts against their prison time; like high-risk military missions or specialty tasks that require their powers. More than usual, super powered prisoners being confined to jail is a waste of their potential, at least in the eyes of the government. Slight improvements in rehabilitation rates have been claimed. Some remain in government employ after they've served their time.

So the PCs could run into their old nemesis in the field, with a squad of US marines equipped with anti-super weapons as her handlers. Awkward.

With one campaign exception that I can think of, my players and their characters , even the ones without CVKs, always go for capture and jail time of said villain. This doesn't mean they treat said villains with kid gloves per se. That varies a lot more. Sometimes villains "die" due to their own foolish plans run amok (classic or cliche, sometimes I use it) but my players know that isn't necessarily a career ending situation

You know, come to think of it, I don't know if I've ever had a 'loot their stuff' mentality among my group when playing champs, BUT something close did occur. A villain group had a really nice floating base with holographic camoflauge tech. The heroes in question liked it so much they ended up keeping the thing, revamping it, moving it slightly, and making it their own base ;)

You know' date=' come to think of it, I don't know if I've ever had a 'loot their stuff' mentality among my group when playing champs, BUT something close did occur. A villain group had a really nice floating base with holographic camoflauge tech. The heroes in question liked it so much they ended up keeping the thing, revamping it, moving it slightly, and making it their own base ;)[/quote']

I am embarassed to say that when I first started to play Champions our group did just that. We grew out of it quickly, but in the early days we looted the unconscious.

From the title, What immediately came to mind was: Wood Chipper. Old villains go to the wood chipper :P /Joke (damn, now I am thinking of Fargo) We just send them to jail or to whatever the government has to deal with villains.

In supers, jail until their inevitable breakout/escape. Rehab is pointless, and unlike fantasy characters their powers are usually innate so you can't take them anyway. That, and the PC can rarely afford to pay the character points for the villain's super-gadget, since it's usually better than what the PCs have.

In supers' date=' jail until their inevitable breakout/escape. Rehab is pointless, and unlike fantasy characters their powers are usually innate so you can't take them anyway. That, and the PC can rarely afford to pay the character points for the villain's super-gadget, since it's usually better than what the PCs have.[/quote']

Gotta disagree that rehab is pointless. Comics are full of characters that started off as bad guys, but turned good...and stayed there. Examples include Rogue, The Beetle(now Mach-Whatever), Songbird, and so on...

True, but none of those 'Heel-Turn-Face' ex-villainous heroes ever got rehabilitated by 'the system'... most got adopted into Super-Teams or were never really dedicated villains to begin with. In fact, I can't think of one 'went to jail, got out, was better' Hero off the top of my head... and lets not even look into Arkham's recidivism rates!

True' date=' but none of those 'Heel-Turn-Face' ex-villainous heroes ever got rehabilitated by 'the system'... most got adopted into Super-Teams or were never really dedicated villains to begin with. In fact, I can't think of one 'went to jail, got out, was better' Hero off the top of my head... and lets not even look into Arkham's recidivism rates![/quote']

Wasn't there a story arc where it was revealed that Arkham was engineered to make people worse and more violent?

Arkham has been the subject of a variety of... poor implementation factors... that make it a model ineffective rehabilitation facility. Purposefully making people worse, experimenting on people, hauntings, curses, villainous and super-villainous staff... all have been factors over the years.

But, this facility aside, the rehabilitation record of comic prisons and similar facilities is still abysmal; at least for super-villains. Mooks, on the other hand, I would imagine have slightly better results.

True' date=' but none of those 'Heel-Turn-Face' ex-villainous heroes ever got rehabilitated by 'the system'... most got adopted into Super-Teams or were never really dedicated villains to begin with. In fact, I can't think of one 'went to jail, got out, was better' Hero off the top of my head... and lets not even look into Arkham's recidivism rates![/quote']

Arkham is an asylum for the mentally ill, not a prison, so "rehabilitation" is a different concept.

Justice went to prison for killing his father, but he was already a hero. Power Company had a character who appeared in one old Brave & Bold comic, went to jail and, on release, had reformed and went straight. Why would you expect a "truly dedicated" Villain would be reformed? By definition, if he reformed, he wasn't really a "truly dedicated" villain, was he?

I am embarassed to say that when I first started to play Champions our group did just that. We grew out of it quickly' date=' but in the early days we looted the unconscious.[/quote']

Well, if D&D is your first RPG as it is for most, I suppose it is natural to pick up a few habits there. :) I wouldn't let it embarrass you too much.

Gotta disagree that rehab is pointless. Comics are full of characters that started off as bad guys' date=' but turned good...and stayed there. Examples include Rogue, The Beetle(now Mach-Whatever), Songbird, and so on...[/quote']

Hawkeye

As to the OP question, our campaigns generally went with incarcerate first work out the others later, we rehabilitated a few - a couple of misunderstood monsters, romantic foils, and the lot. A few villains were executed by the Feds, and there were one or two we took down to prevent global catastrophe.

And one guy my brother's character killed because he was really tired of losing to him all the time. But Pete was 12 at the time.

Maybe it's the cynic in me, but in my supers games the last few years, if a super villain is at all manageable they get recruited by the government to work off their time in public service...often in an overseas warzone with special forces handlers.

Maybe it's the cynic in me' date=' but in my supers games the last few years, if a super villain is at all manageable they get recruited by the government to work off their time in public service...often in an overseas warzone with special forces handlers.[/quote']

In the Marvel Universe they tried that with the Abomination. I don't think it worked out very well...