The Morality of Sending In The Clones!

GoldenAge

Re: The Morality of Sending In The Clones!

What if Dr. Sivana' date=' Professor Ivo and myself were so well hidden that we could continue to create clones indefinitely. We pump out 10,000 a day that show up in random US cities... Should the government give them green cards and eventually citizenship?[/quote']

There's no way you can simultaneously be so well hidden that you can't be found, and at the same time be dispatching 10,000 parcels a day all over the place. Not in my campaign. And of course if they weren't born in my country, then they are illegal aliens and there's no obligation to ever let them free.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if Dr. Sivana' date=' Professor Ivo and myself were so well hidden that we could continue to create clones indefinitely. We pump out 10,000 a day that show up in random US cities... Should the government give them green cards and eventually citizenship?[/quote']

Well, if that's the case, it's a state of emergency on the scale of a war. Shoot on sight would be the logical route to go. Any taken prisoner would be interrogated, probably found to have no useful information, and put into prison camps for the duration. Once the crisis was over, they'd figure out whether the clones could ever be rehabilitated.

Okay, who hasn't used them. We've seen them in the service of Viper and all over the comics we love. They're a GREAT plot device and are entirely expendable... But what then?

Cloning is the ultimate form of identity theft. Under normal circumstances the law would simply erase the stolen identity and return it to its original owner. But, in this case, does that mean the execution of hundreds of living beings (who were never part of their inception)?

What would your government do??????

I've been working cloning and genetic engineering into my world recently - it's the primary shtick of my versions of Malachite and Dr Destroyer. DD started it, a few scientists working for him have chosen to go freelance with the knowledge, and Malachite was his finest work and greatest failure. DD has a small clone army, and a cadre of engineered people (think Khan from Star Trek).

Cloning and genetic engineering is illegal everywhere, but more for religious reasons than any need. If you can't play with stem cells, you certainly can't make new people, after all. But, very few know they exist. Of those that do, some think them to be abominations that should be destroyed, as they are thought to have no soul. Most consider them as merely another person with a different manner of birth. No matter if they were brainwashed as a child into a merciless killer - lots of people have bad childhoods. As long as you are a good person, your origin doesn't matter to most. The person doing the work is always punished; the clone or engineered person is never punished for being that, only what they do. It is key for my world that there is no way to tell they are a clone or engineered person.

Your clones may be identity theft, but mine are usually not. It's considered an honor to have a clone made - "I'm so valuable that they want more just like me!" Outside of DD, the most common use of a clone is to create an heir, organ donor, or new body for a brain transplant (success not guaranteed!). In all cases, the donor wanted it to happen. Note that doesn't always mean the clone is happy about the situation.

What happens when a clone is freed from the influence of its creator? If it is mindless, and many are, it is just a lump of tissue, and most governments would quietly pull the life support plug. Those with a mind are more problematic. Many governments just ignore them after the battle. If they want help, they can apply to be a citizen, get a job, etc. Appropriate organizations would help them, just as they do the homeless, immigrants, mentally unstable. Some have realized they were only created as spare parts, and this may mentally scar them for the rest of their life. And it just gets more fun if personalities and memories are copied into the clone. Who is the original, and if the original was a criminal, how do you know the right one is being punished for that old crime?

I've been working cloning and genetic engineering into my world recently - it's the primary shtick of my versions of Malachite and Dr Destroyer. DD started it, a few scientists working for him have chosen to go freelance with the knowledge, and Malachite was his finest work and greatest failure. DD has a small clone army, and a cadre of engineered people (think Khan from Star Trek).

Cloning and genetic engineering is illegal everywhere, but more for religious reasons than any need. If you can't play with stem cells, you certainly can't make new people, after all. But, very few know they exist. Of those that do, some think them to be abominations that should be destroyed, as they are thought to have no soul. Most consider them as merely another person with a different manner of birth. No matter if they were brainwashed as a child into a merciless killer - lots of people have bad childhoods. As long as you are a good person, your origin doesn't matter to most. The person doing the work is always punished; the clone or engineered person is never punished for being that, only what they do. It is key for my world that there is no way to tell they are a clone or engineered person.

Your clones may be identity theft, but mine are usually not. It's considered an honor to have a clone made - "I'm so valuable that they want more just like me!" Outside of DD, the most common use of a clone is to create an heir, organ donor, or new body for a brain transplant (success not guaranteed!). In all cases, the donor wanted it to happen. Note that doesn't always mean the clone is happy about the situation.

What happens when a clone is freed from the influence of its creator? If it is mindless, and many are, it is just a lump of tissue, and most governments would quietly pull the life support plug. Those with a mind are more problematic. Many governments just ignore them after the battle. If they want help, they can apply to be a citizen, get a job, etc. Appropriate organizations would help them, just as they do the homeless, immigrants, mentally unstable. Some have realized they were only created as spare parts, and this may mentally scar them for the rest of their life. And it just gets more fun if personalities and memories are copied into the clone. Who is the original, and if the original was a criminal, how do you know the right one is being punished for that old crime?

Clearly, your world didn't have any superheroes during the 1950's. Examples of 1950's superhero plots include...

With my modified kryptonite ray, I shoot Superman, creating his evil duplicate, Bizarro. No, really. That was it. No biotechnology, no nothing, I create Bizarro by shooting Superman with a ray gun. It's still a clone.

Pod People. That's right. Plants come, copy your memories and grow new versions of you. Still a clone. An evil alien clone, to be sure, but still a clone.

Because I can't stomach a world in which' date=' when identical twins are born, the second born is slaughtered in the delivery room.[/quote']

"Born" and "made" are two very different things!

Defined how? In Macbeth, Macduff fulfilled the prophecy that no man "born of woman" could kill Macbeth. How? Well, Macduff was delivered by caesarian section, so he was not "born of woman". Do we then take that to mean that being delivered by c-section is not actually born and has no legal rights?

I ask the same question: How?

And where exactly is the line between made and borne?

Is "made" that you DNA get's mixed up in a test tube? Well, ART does involve mixing DNA in a Laboratory (the difference is, they DNA is in the cell to beginn with).

Is "made" that you were gestated in an artificial womb, instead of a normal one? Then how about "normal" persons that must be conceived in this way (due to problems with the mothers natural womb).

Or incubating our clones in actual women, and having the clones then born.

When genetic is that far, how about a lesbian couple that has their daugther made as Binay Clone but then implanted and go on as with "normal" ART?

What about Surrogacy?

What about Surrogacy for Homosexual Men (same method as above)?

I'm with Lucius - this isn't an easy bright line definition. There would be a ton of legal arguments, and a lot of jurisprudence, before we ever get to an answer under the law. Tack on legislators trying to take the decision out of the Court's hands, and the number of different legal systems world wide, and we get a huge array of legal complexities.

Take Balabanto's example - his Clone Super is outed and the US, say, decides "NO - Clone is Bad. Clone must Go!" You think there won't be an array of other nations willing, even competing, to offer residency to that famous Super?

So 'Nurture" totally dominates "Nature" in your book? What if their insidious orders and the "bomb" they carried were coded into their DNA?

What if the villain kidnapped 1,000 random, normal people and encoded the same "bomb" in their DNA? That seems no less plausible in a comic setting than cloning those designer DNA beings. Why go through all the effort of raising them from a single cell when you can implant existing specimens?

I remember reading recent evidence that separated twins are surprisingly similar in their life's endeavours (Nature over Nurture). What if the only way to cure them was to kill them???

Why would their clone status differentiate the question from normal people implanted with the same problem?

What if we, instead, set up the same MegaTeleporter and start shoving the populations of Third World villages through? Will we just shoot them on sight as well? We'll put the MegaTeleporter on a satellite with the same cloaking tech - it's programmed to relocate 10,000 a day. Oh, and it only moves biomass, so they show up with no ID to track them to their country of origin.

How many newborns show up in US cities every day? How many are born to unfit parents? Maybe 10,000 isn't that big a number. Maybe we should put contraceptives in the water so people have to get a permit before they can receive counter-contraceptive prescriptions that will allow them to procreate!

People with only the hormone driven technology they were born with are already adding 216,000 more people to the world's population every day.

at what point are you willing to cry "hold, enough!" and deny the new influx basic human rights?

Lucius Alexander

Just don't ask the palindromedary

Are they?

Let me point out a scenario...

Evil Genius decides he needs a heir. Since the only one worthy of such an honor is himself, he makes a clone embryo, implants it in his mistress (without her knowledge), and has her raise it. Circumstances occur where the Evil Genius must fake his death and go into hiding. The mistress, thinking the child is hers by the evil genius, takes him into hiding in a different country. The boy grows up with no knowledge of his father. He's a genius, but he is raised under other circumstances, so he isn't "evil" (or no more so than any other child). Being a super-genius, he attends the Ravenswood Academy (Champions Universe school for teenage metahumans training to be superheroes). At the age of 15, his father comes out of hiding, and anounces that the boy is his son, clone, and heir to the throne of his 3rd world dictatorship.

So, what happens now?

I'm surprised no one answered me.

Many Bad things will happen. IF, and that's a big If, you are running a campaign styled on comic books. Looking at it from a comic point of view, the kid has a 89% chance of following in the "fathers" footsteps, apple doesn't fall far from the tree so to speak, with roughly a 10% chance of becoming a sort of Iron Age Anti Hero version of said father as well should he not just turn Heel eventually anyway and the 1% where he gets to be a Hero out to stop his dad (or other family member etc etc).

I can point out a few comic examples of each if you want them but most of us should be able to name at least one or two.

In my own campaign, which is best described as More Hugo Danner less Superman, outing said character wouldn't do much at first other then layering on a lot of "watched" or "hunted" complications, then, depending on the direction the "target" goes, everything else developes. If I were to use that as a sort of NPC arc and focal point, it would depend on if anyone in the group had the dad as an enemy, then there are more then a few angles that could be worked from that perspective as well. Do you trust the clone son of say, Hitler, especially when he developes a taste for Art, and starts getting into Politics?

Get's pretty twisted pretty quick. Eventually you either White Wash it, or, hand it to John Ostrander and say, "Do something twisted with this...."

~Rex

Good RP hook though for a player to jump on

Well in most games aren’t the rank and file exactly the same stats (VIPER, COIL etc)? You have just decided to make them even better than your normal rank and file and put in a back story to explain the fact that they are all exactly the same by saying they are cloned. ;)

Clones are not all the same. It has been proven that identical twins (natural clones) separated at birth and brought up by different families can actually become physically different (different diets so different heights, weights and pick up different disorders so different health) and also be totally different in outlook and personality. So clones do not mean exactly the same (just in films and games they are).

Human nature does not like pre-programming. “You will be and evil son of a B*** and kill with your pre-programmed killing skills”. So in my game a good number of the (100) clones will decide to go along with the game for so long then decide to escape and not be evil clones (some of these will be killed for not covering up this not so evil tendency).

Any evil clones when captured by the heroes would be judged on their actions initially. When found out they are only a few months old the Heroes would have the opportunity to use a similar technology to unbrain wash them and give them a chance of being reformed characters.

Technically they would be children and should be prosecuted as juveniles as being pre-programmed to kill was not their choice. Given a chance to change their views will be given once beyond the environment of being told to be totally evil.

Any future deviations will then be viewed as their new personality.

But then this would only be in my game (when I steal the cloning idea for future entertainment).;)

Ask the clones what they want to do.

If they can't think of anything, suggest some logistically reasonable options.

Provide them with peer support. Give them a sense of identity. Have them select names for themselves. Solidarity with clone-kin should be easy to instill. Solidarity with other clones, likewise. Show them how everybody is more alike than different.

Inform them that "clono"-phobic prejudice will always be a problem. Tell them there is nothing wrong with being a clone.

Being a clone is not their fault. What they do after being cloned is.

If they have committed crimes, they are responsible for reparations. Even if only one single crime was committed by just one clone acting alone, inform them all of it. Attempt to limit the humiliation of criminally suspect clones, but hold them accountable for their actions. Point out how the actions of one clone reflects on all the clones (for good or bad).

Here are some options I would suggest (not-mutually exclusive):

• Foster parenting (warding). Use super-tech to regress them physically to a cute age, or whatever age they choose for themselves, given their own individual private tastes. Whatever, they are all fantastically inexperienced & naive. They require loving care, positive role models, and a stable home.

• Mind-melding. Merge the memories of individual clones together into one single clone. This is not an option I would choose for myself, but I am not a clone, and depending on the condition (or lack of condition) of some or all of the clones, this seems like a reasonable *solution*. That's probably what I'd call it,"The Clone Solution."

• Virtualization. Perhaps (given their prior electronic eduction) existing within a super-computer simulation is an attractive option for clones. They could be given their own whole universe to play in. It would be like a post-modern fantasia. I'd call it, "Tír na gÓn," and these clones would be known as, "goners," (I'd rip them of their in-game PRE).

• Genetic re-cultivation. Maybe they would like to mix up their DNA with something new in order to further distinguish themselves (and end the purely *clone* derived problem). Phenomenally more significant differences (than DNA) can be selected, too... if desired (or not).

All interesting points... I have to wonder - a bit off-topic - how this relates to the 'Old Republic' era of the Star Wars films.

Even the enlightened Guardians of Freedom and Peace (the Jedi Knights - who seemed to have no problem with chopping off people's arms at a moment's notice) viewed their clone troopers as expendable assets. Malachite - or Teleios - would be much the same...

All interesting points... I have to wonder - a bit off-topic - how this relates to the 'Old Republic' era of the Star Wars films.

Even the enlightened Guardians of Freedom and Peace (the Jedi Knights - who seemed to have no problem with chopping off people's arms at a moment's notice) viewed their clone troopers as expendable assets.

Where and when? Afaik they stood towards them the same way they stand toward any other soldier that is willing to die for it's cause (like the Gungans and Humans on Naboo).

Of course, we have no information on how free willed they were in their loyality. Where they truly loyal (because the seperatist hated clones to beginn with and would just kill every one they met), or was it programmed loyality? Something in the middle?

We don't even know what hapened to them after Episode 3, but afaik there were no new ones made and the stormtroopers in Episode 4 where normal (indoctrinated) humans.

Do you trust the clone son of say, Hitler, especially when he developes a taste for Art, and starts getting into Politics?

The son of Adolf Eichmann is a professor of archeology. I have heard that on the first day of each his lecture classes, after introducing himself, he says "Yes, my father was THAT Eichmann. If you have a problem with that, I will work with the university to get you withdrawn from this class or transferred to another with no detriment to you. If you don't have a problem with it, I don't expect to hear about it for the rest of the semester."

Half of his genes come from his father. If I should be suspicious of his father's clone, should I be half as suspicious of his father's son?

Or to put it another way:

Would I trust Hitler's clone? Maybe.

Would I trust Hitler's clone if he were raised in a Nazi family, indoctrinated in Nazi ideology, and/or showed an affiinity for racist or fascist politics? Hell no. Neither would I trust my OWN clone in that case.

Lucius Alexander

Do you trust the clone of a palindromedary?

A recent Captain America story (in the big anniversary issue) dealt with an Adolf Hitler clone who'd managed to escape Arnim Zola's lab before being imprinted with his original's memories. He'd made a life for himself as an art gallery manager, but showed some worrying personality traits. In the end, Cap decides that the clone isn't actually doing anything villainous, and orders surveillance kept up just in case. (And the man himself was worried about his compulsion to paint swastikas.)

As for myself, as with the last time this came up, this is what would be happening if I run Champions.

Thanks to the slightly higher overall tech level of the world, "realistic" human cloning is available. Normal clones start as embryos and age normally; most of them gestate in a human womb. Legally, they're human and in countries that are signatory to the United Nations Protocol on Cloning and Genetic Engineering, theoretically possess all the civil rights of normal humans. (None of the normal clones have yet reached the age of majority.) It is illegal to clone someone without their prior informed consent, and illegal clones become wards of the state if found. Most celebrities have clone/don't clone clauses in their contracts.

Realistic cloning is expensive, and most medical insurance won't cover it, so mass cloning is not believed to be a major problem in the civilized world. (Rogue states are always the exception, but they aren't going to follow your rules regardless.) Also, the necessary genetic information for cloning starts breaking down by the time the corpse enters rigor mortis, so the realistic cloning of long-dead people is out the window. If the cloned person has the metagene, so does their clone, but that does not mean they'll ever express it, or in the same way.

Rumors persist of secret Joshua experiments (think "Boys From Brazil"), but there's no hard evidence.

However, there's also mad science cloning. That uses various methods to force the clone to maturity in a few months (or days for the more dangerous formulas.) Mad genetic engineering and psychoeducation can fill in the gaps to ensure that the clone has the same powers and personality of the original, or alter it in any way desired. (Opposite sex clones are popular with many mad scientists, as they tended not to get laid when they were young.) Force-grown clones have oddities in their physiology that can be detected by a simple medical examination or blood test, and are at high risk for degenerative diseases.

Mad science cloning is of course highly illegal, but the resultant clones are treated as human beings. Depending on how heavily programmed they are, they may be treated as human beings with severe mental impairments. There have been attempts at creating clone armies, but these have been stopped by alert heroes, and so far all implementations have proved deeply flawed.

Dr. Destroyer, Teleios, and perhaps one or two other supergeniuses are able to create "perfect" clones that are functionally identical to the original, absent a full genetic scan or deep mind probe. Apparently this is quite difficult even for them, and they can produce only one or two a year, reserved for only the most important master plans. All detected "perfect" clones have been destroyed by their creators, presumably to keep the secret of how they're made out of anyone else's hands.

The Evil Minions of Evil Genius plot against him as he visits his Clone and Heir, and assassinate him on his return, then send a message warning the Clone and Heir to not try to lay claim to the dictatorship. Clone and Heir responds "Are you crazy? I never wanted to be a dictator."

Lucius Alexander

What happens now is a palindromedary tagline

Opposite sex clones are popular with many mad scientists' date=' as they tended not to get laid when they were young.[/quote']

There was one movie movie that dealt with such a cloning. In that chase it was about creating female "sex puppets". The organsied crime behind it was jailed, but the genticist had used his own dna to create the clones and the legal system was behind on that matter. So he was free and he could have started from new.

Only that one of the clones shot him. And succesfull suicide wasn't illegal by then (while some countries have laws against atempted ones), so such flaws in the law have their downsides too.

And don't forget that this is only an option for male Mad Geneticists, as women don't have an Y-cromosome (so they need to take it from someone else).

Star Trek had to deal with Transporter-Clones once or twice (basically instant Carbon Copies), at least one "clone murder 1st grade" in DS9 and there was a story arc in the webcomic "Schlock Mercenary" that dealt with transporter clones (just a few million). Including a story of a "atempted suicide" that ended in a "self defense suicide" + identity theft + false accusation.

This means you may have to find some new terms for those things.

Where and when? Afaik they stood towards them the same way they stand toward any other soldier that is willing to die for it's cause (like the Gungans and Humans on Naboo).

The Star Wars milieu features slavery outside the territory of the Galactic Republic. It can be argued that droids such as R2-D2 and C-3PO are thinking hunks of tin with all the legal rights of your trash can.

What caught my eye, though, was a little scene in one of the Dark Horse graphics tales. A Jedi Master expresses surprise when Obi-Wan refers to a clone officer by name ("Alpha", I think he was).

"What? You gave them names?!"

"Don't look at me - Anakin started it!"

I'm a bit surprised just how contentious this topic is - but it's giving me some ideas for schemes that Malachite will set into motion...

It can be argued that droids such as R2-D2 and C-3PO are thinking hunks of tin with all the legal rights of your trash can.

What caught my eye, though, was a little scene in one of the Dark Horse graphics tales. A Jedi Master expresses surprise when Obi-Wan refers to a clone officer by name ("Alpha", I think he was).

"What? You gave them names?!"

"Don't look at me - Anakin started it!"

Wouldn't giving Droids name (and not deleting their memory) regarded in the same way? So perhaps the two theme are tied together.

For the Jedi, I think it has something to do with how the force views clones (and droids).

As I heard it they have something unusual about their "force fingerprint". And that they could let them grow faster than they did, but that it creates some sort of "force feedback" between the clones minds that may make them insane.

For C3PO-Style Droids at least, I heard that their droid-brain is equipped with dampers so they aren't too imginative. Also, droids are programmed not to lie. All of them (In KotOR 2 one was reprogrammed so he could).

For me personally this borders on BrainWashing/Mind Controlling a sentient being.

Clearly, your world didn't have any superheroes during the 1950's. Examples of 1950's superhero plots include...

With my modified kryptonite ray, I shoot Superman, creating his evil duplicate, Bizarro. No, really. That was it. No biotechnology, no nothing, I create Bizarro by shooting Superman with a ray gun. It's still a clone.

Pod People. That's right. Plants come, copy your memories and grow new versions of you. Still a clone. An evil alien clone, to be sure, but still a clone.

My campaign is probably a lot closer to dark Champions than to standard Champions. The first paranormal appeared just 10 years ago, and at this time there only about 150 worldwide, although most are in the USA. Tech levels are a lot closer to real life, and comic book tech and mad science are greatly reduced. This is rapidly changing, but duplicator guns, de-evolution rays, and mutant genes controlling weather will never happen. Plenty of people with super powers, but it's magic, not science or genetics, that cause it. I'm not interested in duplicating a certain genre of comic books; playing in a world with super powers is the idea.

Tough call what to do with them. Nations and organizations are going to both want the clones and also not want others to have them. Physical appearance doesn't necessarily translate to adulthood in the eyes of society also. They could get divvied up amongst all the people with a claim.

I would treat the clones like other abused children, placing them with responsible foster families until adopted or the age of maturity is reached. In your game, GoldenAge, I would say someone or the whole team just got a handful of a sidekick!

The old Goodwin/Simonsen Manhunter series touched on this a bit, and one of Paul Kirk's clones ended up resurfacing in The Power Company by Busiek and Grummett. Strike Force also had their Shadowwalker storyline where he was cloned but his clones were kicking butt and taking names when not trying to kick his butt and take his name so he practiced Live and Let Live with them.

I would treat the clones like other abused children' date=' placing them with responsible foster families until adopted or the age of maturity is reached. In your game, GoldenAge, I would say someone or the whole team just got a handful of a sidekick![/quote']

Again... Sounds like Gitmo to me. :)