The Morality of Sending In The Clones!

GoldenAge

Re: The Morality of Sending In The Clones!

If the answer to both is no' date=' what is left except "Special Dietary Requirements" (that can be overcome)?[/quote']

There are some vampire myths in example in literature where vampire do need to feed off human blood...and take it from a living host. The fear and the life force is what they feed off...the blood is almost inconsequentials...so raiding blood banks or feeding of animals don't feed them.

So how is that overcome? A sharp defination of vampires are evil. Does not bother me. Sure I like world where they can be the good guys....but worlds where they can't can be just as interesting.

Also as a sidenote I think Balabento bans vampires in his game for the same reasom some GMs ban drow from their games. Just tired seeing the same dual weilding drow named Drizzt in his games...though I can't say as I only been playing in his games for about 10 years...and there was alot of players involved in his games over the years.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They just kill a sentient being? If they can be reconstructed you say (I gues in a Mechanon style with thousand lives), then it wouldn't be killing.

But a unique, not rebuildable artificial being with no spare lives?

Every time a culture first meets another, they have to decide if The Other counts as people. In most cases the answer is initially "No." When homo sapiens meets homo synthetic there is going to be friction. Until the law is negotiated and written it may not be a crime to kill or harm The Other, or it may be a lesser crime like Destruction of Property instead of Murder or Manslaughter.

Also as a sidenote I think Balabento bans vampires in his game for the same reasom some GMs ban drow from their games. Just tired seeing the same dual weilding drow named Drizzt in his games...though I can't say as I only been playing in his games for about 10 years...and there was alot of players involved in his games over the years.

In the Sword and Sorcery Draft thread, it was jokingly proposed that that specific Drow was mandatory on all teams. I asked if I could bring him in just to kill him immediately, and was told yes.

So I wrote and posted the story of how my (still not quite complete) team tracked him down, lured him into a trap, and destroyed him in what I hope will be regarded as an amusing mannor.

Feel free to review The Death of Drizzled Drow'Burden and if you disapprove, tell me how you would have killed him off.

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/84980-Superdraft-Sword-and-Sorcery!/page41

The irony is - I have never read any of the stories featuring that rebelious Drow. I'm just being a conformist, hating on him because everyone else does.

Lucius Alexander

I've got this palindromedary character, see, but it's totally unlike other palindromedaries and is an exile because it wouldn't go along with their herd mentality and even though palindromedaries don't have hands it has these REALLY COOL SWORDS

They just kill a sentient being? If they can be reconstructed you say (I gues in a Mechanon style with thousand lives), then it wouldn't be killing.

But a unique, not rebuildable artificial being with no spare lives?

Yes, they'd just kill a sentient being. And they didn't give much attention to the possibility that a reconstructed version of one wasn't actually the same individual.

In the Sword and Sorcery Draft thread, it was jokingly proposed that that specific Drow was mandatory on all teams. I asked if I could bring him in just to kill him immediately, and was told yes.

So I wrote and posted the story of how my (still not quite complete) team tracked him down, lured him into a trap, and destroyed him in what I hope will be regarded as an amusing mannor.

Feel free to review The Death of Drizzled Drow'Burden and if you disapprove, tell me how you would have killed him off.

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/84980-Superdraft-Sword-and-Sorcery!/page41

The irony is - I have never read any of the stories featuring that rebelious Drow. I'm just being a conformist, hating on him because everyone else does.

Lucius Alexander

I've got this palindromedary character, see, but it's totally unlike other palindromedaries and is an exile because it wouldn't go along with their herd mentality and even though palindromedaries don't have hands it has these REALLY COOL SWORDS

Like Wolverine his fans/and many copies are far more annoying than the character within his own stories.

The first 2 trilogies are pretty darned entertaining. The books after that are OK, but nothing too great. The thing that POs me about Drizzt is that all of the munchkins started to play clones of him because he was Kewl. Which means that any other Drow character is now seen as being a munchkin's annoying character no matter what take you have on a Drow Character or what Class you play, or even if you play without any angst.

I've read dozens of the old Realms novels. What Salvatore is really best at is rendering truly broken player characters. One of my favorites is this dwarf that dual wields 2 magic flails (1 w/ rust monster oil... the other with oil of impact).

If you think Drizzt is munchkin, Jarlaxle will surprise you:

Jarlaxle's Combat tactics and equipment from wiki:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jarlaxle

/quote

In combat, Jarlaxle will throw an unlimited supply of magical daggers conferred to him by one of his bracers. About 4 in 10 of those daggers are illusions, but as he pointed out to the assassin Artemis Entreri, "an illusion can kill you if you believe it to be real". There are, of course, real daggers included among the illusory ones (prompting a comment from Entreri that "the real thing can kill you, whether you believe in it or not"), which magically disappear after a short period of time, returning themselves to his magic bracer. He is renowned for having a seemingly unlimited supply of magical tricks: an eye patch that prevents magical and psionic intrusion and enhances his vision; a hat with a large feather that can be used to summon a diatryma (a large flightless bird native to the Underdark), and is an nondimensional space to hide things (nondimensional means that he can put items which are many times the size of the hat in); a many-hued piwafwi that displaces projectiles, thus hindering ranged attacks and makes him invisible on his command; a varied array of magical wands; two artifacts (from a lich named Zhengyi), which have the power to raise humans from the dead and employ the help of a powerful dracolich, a ring which protects from fire or ice by choice,a dragon figurine that can summon the breath of chromatic dragons, a ring that tells when someone is lying, a necklace which gives him supernatural power and speed, a sword which can control the mind of weak people, and many other unknown magical items.

Jarlaxle's belt is a snake, that will uncoil into a rope form for climbing when needed, extending to whatever length is needed. He also has a wide array of extra-dimensional devices, including a button on his vest that turns into a bag, and a black piece of cloth in the tip of his hat, a portable hole, that when pressed against a surface, will create a hole in it. Jarlaxle has trinkets that grant him immunities to many things. Jarlaxle also possesses a seemingly endless supply and variety of slender magical wands which are capable of releasing anything from a lightning bolt to a great blob of goo, powerful healing water, or illusionary and real fireballs. (He always seems to be prepared for any situation.)

Jarlaxle's endless supply of magical items is partially explained in one short story. It reveals that Jarlaxle regularly meets Kimmuriel and often receives an item procured by Bregan D'aerthe's considerable resources, even revealing that he will even change his trademark broad-brimmed purple hat, complete with enormous feather, out for one of identical appearance but different enchantment and in another short story it is reveal that Jarlaxle has a dragon with whom he makes regular deals for magical items.

In situations where his daggers are of no use, he can magically extend the blades, transforming them into long swords, not to mention the array of weapons (including a small iron maul, used in Servant of the Shard) that he keeps miniaturized in the sweat band of his outrageously large hat. He is extremely skilled in the two long-blade fighting style commonly used by the drow, though when mismatched with less skilled opponents he has been known to use the less effective but visually showy swashbuckling style to distract them—though his mastery and effectiveness of swashbuckling dispelled any doubts his companion Entreri had about the style.

/end_quote

What I remember being most broken of Jarlaxle was his exploitation of fireball illusions. He is not (to my knowledge) a "magic-user": but, using wands, he has studied actual fireballs so carefully that, for him, wanded illusionary fireballs are phantasmal killers.

I knew a DM who once dealt with a ludicrously Monty Haulish character by having a dimensional rift open up' date=' and 3 old-school Gamma World Death Machines appear...[/quote']

While this is tangent, a ludicrously munchkinish character once entered my game. Confronted with the possibility of loot from a pair of mated black dragons (Keep in mind, this is 2nd edition), the character joined the group and the heroes set out on their journey.

Well, thinking himself invulnerable, he neglected to understand that the black dragons had trained their group of goblin minions to be glassblowers. These guys had more glass spheres of acid than you could shake a stick at. But that wasn't all...I rolled all treasure out in those days because there was one massive treasure generator and it was a lot easier than to go searching through a trillion books for items the way they do now.

So the dragons had a ring of wishes, which they used a few of to create some deadly resettable traps, and a talisman of ultimate evil. Well, the goblins had a 3rd level shaman. That was where the fun began. The dragons had chosen an area of the swamp filled with marsh gas, and stuck a fuse inside a tube that went from their lair under the swamp to the marsh gas above.

The munchkin character charged across the gas to get to the lead group of goblins with acid spheres. At that moment, one of the dragons gleefully lit the fuse, causing a marsh gas explosion. This enraged the munchkin player, especially after getting hit with two flasks of dragon breath acid.

Well, the character's rage led to it's undoing. The character swiftly slew the nearest few acid throwing goblins, ignoring the shaman with the talisman. Well, in 2nd edition, the Fighter/Cleric had no saving throw vs. the Evil Cleric using the talisman, and off to the center of the earth his character went, never to return.

Afterwards, everyone except the munchkin player thought the best thing about that encounter was me messing up my hair, dancing wildly like a Goblin Shaman, getting out something that resembled a stick with some feathers on the end and shouting "Oonga Boonga Nok Nok!" as the character went to his doom. It was pretty funny, looking back on it.

That was when everyone else ran. It's been almost 20 years in-game. even though the system is Pathfinder now. No one has been back to take another crack at those dragons.

The ludicrously munchkinish are worth a whole 'nuther thread. Interesting sidenote: In the War Machine rules from the D&D Companion set, a million goblin mercenaries hired up and sent into battle without training together are no match for a few tens of thousands of well-trained humans.

I want to thank EVERYONE who has participated in this debate!!! :cheers:

If I've learned anything, your impassioned and often diametrically opposed perspectives have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that there is NO consensus on the legal handling of clones. I can easily see these very same arguments being bandied about in the halls of government as they try to develop laws to deal with this complex situation. Just like this thread, those arguments would be fierce and ongoing.

This leads me right back where I began...

GITMO. :)

You guys ROCK!!!:rockon:

Right but in the set up of your Epic City game, and the sheer number of those Clones and or other Clone cells, GITMO would end up being it's own City State within a year and then you have Mini Australia, Penal Colony of the Clones floating off the shores of a Monster Island Equivalent. :D

Now there's potential in that... :D

~Rex

Right but in the set up of your Epic City game, and the sheer number of those Clones and or other Clone cells, GITMO would end up being it's own City State within a year and then you have Mini Australia, Penal Colony of the Clones floating off the shores of a Monster Island Equivalent. :D

Now there's potential in that... :D

~Rex

Taking notes...

(Remember Rex... The Moon habitat and research facility [delivered by Corona and interrupted by the Amlem 3 Invasion] is just waiting to be populated!)

Read more about it HERE!

Like Wolverine his fans/and many copies are far more annoying than the character within his own stories.

The first 2 trilogies are pretty darned entertaining. The books after that are OK, but nothing too great. The thing that POs me about Drizzt is that all of the munchkins started to play clones of him because he was Kewl. Which means that any other Drow character is now seen as being a munchkin's annoying character no matter what take you have on a Drow Character or what Class you play, or even if you play without any angst.

pretty much. Though I never saw Drizzt as having too much angst. could have missed it :)