Billionaires: Supervillains earn, Superheroes inherit

Sociotard

http://www.juliansanchez.com/2011/09/21/ceos-in-comics-villains-earn-heroes-inherit/

An interesting read. It points out that Bruce Wayne and Tony Stark both inherited their companies from their daddies. Lex Luthor (in most versions) and the Kingpin forged their own empires. Even Dr. Doom (in the original) was a gypsy orphan who built himself up from nothing.

Does anybody know of more counterexamples?

Re: Billionaires: Supervillains earn, Superheroes inherit

reed richards built his company on a government grant. most heroes that are playboys turned mystery men do inherit. the only exceptions I can think of are from the pulp era like Doc Savage and the Avenger. Ted Kord's original incarnation owned his company, but in the DC series he was put in charge by his dad and built it up until it was destroyed at the end of the series.

CES

The New Mister Terrific, Hardware, and Big Bertha all earned their monies IIRC.

And to be fair, Stark has lost and rebuilt his empire more than once.

On the villain side of the coin:

Count Nefaria is old money, I believe

White Rabbit is too.

Does this mean that the children of supervillians grow up to be superheroes? That’s not an uncommon theme in generational stories. First Family’s Rex springs immediately to mind.

It could be argued that inheriting one’s wealth is less complicated than earning it because it closes the door on the possibility of heroes using their powers and abilities for personal gain. If Professor X earned his wealth, instead of inheriting it, then questions would be raised if he used his psychic powers as a means to his wealth. Interestingly, I think that very topic was raised in Ultimate X-Men.

It could be argued that inheriting one’s wealth is less complicated than earning it because it closes the door on the possibility of heroes using their powers and abilities for personal gain. If Professor X earned his wealth' date=' instead of inheriting it, then questions would be raised if he used his psychic powers as a means to his wealth. Interestingly, I think that very topic was raised in Ultimate X-Men.[/quote']

That in part is because of the mutant histery in his world, but otherwise it is a good point.

Each of the villian examples earned their companies, but I think that is to stress that they were evil enough to get that far in such a short time. They were ruthlessly to get the power/money they needed when they needed it. They were skrupolous enough to amass wealth that a honorable buisinessman needs 1 to 2 generations to amass. i fact them going (super)villian was a logical conclusion to their previous livestyle.

Tony Stark might had to rebuild but I doubt he ever started from a postion equal to Lex Luthor (he always had at least his name, genious, fame and connections to go for him).

The article also points out that "amassign wealth inherently corrupts" and I think that fits to my "you have to be corrupt to get that far in that short time".

Good point. By extension, business owners occasionally need to take actions that are less than altruistic for the good of their companies, such as staff reductions or opposing collective bargaining. Heirs to inherited wealth who do not operate their own businesses do not face the same constraints. This means heirs are permitted to be more heroic because they do not need to sully themselves with the concerns of the real world.

I’m sure that Batman and Ironman have laid people off in the past as being a business owner is a key element to each of their characters, but I’d have a hard time imagining Tom Strong (who is, as far as I can tell, a self-made man) directing a round of staffing cuts. In contrast, I’m sure Lex Luthor makes regular raids upon his company’s employee pension fund.

http://www.juliansanchez.com/2011/09/21/ceos-in-comics-villains-earn-heroes-inherit/

An interesting read. It points out that Bruce Wayne and Tony Stark both inherited their companies from their daddies. Lex Luthor (in most versions) and the Kingpin forged their own empires. Even Dr. Doom (in the original) was a gypsy orphan who built himself up from nothing.

Does anybody know of more counterexamples?

Moon Knight. He built his fortune over a career of sketchy deeds and then became a superhero.

Matt Murdock, while not in the Stark/Wayne class, is a completely self-made man. Came up from the streets to be a high-powered attorney. However, he did the attorney thing for exactly the same reason he did the Daredevil thing, and monetary success was largely a side effect. That goes back to the motivation idea.

Seems to me that the common thread might be that Villains get rich and/or powerful because they want to be, and heroes get rich and/or powerful either because they have no choice (Peter Parker, Bruce Wayne), or as a side effect of the things that make them who they are (Tony Stark, Reed Richards).

I also remembered an even older story than all of our examples so far.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarves:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_White

The evil stepmother has made herself rich (by marrying the King). Wheras Snow White and the Prince that kissed her were born wealthy.

I also remembered an even older story than all of our examples so far.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarves:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_White

The evil stepmother has made herself rich (by marrying the King). Wheras Snow White and the Prince that kissed her were born wealthy.

Well, if we're going to go back further than comic books...

King Arthur was made king because he was chosen by the powers above. I've read a couple of versions of the story (a long time ago), and don't remember that he demonstrated anything prior to pulling the sword from the stone that suggested he particularly deserved to be king. Ultimately, the stories did not end well for anyone involved, and I have always wondered whether Arthur deserved his reputation as a great king or even a good man.

The Greeks had many heroes that pulled themselves up from nothing. Their respect was specifically for those who demonstrated their abilities and willingness to perfect themselves.

Beowulf was a king, but clearly one who deserved his reputation, whether he inherited it or not (can't remember if he was the son of a king or self-made).

The oldest known written story, the Epic of Gilgamesh, showed Gilgamesh as the founder of the first city, who built everything he had with the strength of his own arm.

On the lighter side, in Time Bandits, Agamemnon (Sean Connery), is introduced while he is fighting the 'enemy of the people' all on his lonesome, because he is the king, and that is what kings do.

The article also points out that "amassign wealth inherently corrupts" and I think that fits to my "you have to be corrupt to get that far in that short time".

I don't think it has to do with corruption, it's just (as the article points out) part and parcel of the historic attitude the comics tend to follow.

It was always in bad taste for a Gentleman to sully his hands with mere commerce. An income (in the traditional sense, from rents on property, investments, etc) was one thing--and necessary to maintain that gentlemanly style of living, or to gain a worthy bride. But earning a living? Working with your hands? Or even with your mind? Earning a wage, or even building a successful business? Well...SOMEONE has to do such things, I guess (sniff), but no real gentleman would stoop so low.

Thus...Tony Stark inherits a fortune. Yes, he builds upon it, but that's really only maintenance (like overseeing your gentlemanly investments and holdings), not grubbing for a living like a commoner. Lex Luthor, on the other hand, is the epitome of the money-grubbing social climber, ruthless and ill-bred....

Also not on the Billionaire scale, but two members of Alpha Flight- North Star and Sasquatch, both made fortunes for themselves as professional athletes- although Northstar cheated by using his powers (a fact retconned out and then retconned back in) as a professional skier, Sasquatch was a professional football player before he ever got his powers.

Though not a superhero, it's my understanding that Scrooge MacDuck built up his immense wealth from nothing, using a combination of hard work and incredible good luck. He's never struck me as particularly greedy, although he does enjoy his wealth greatly, to the point of having a huge vault filled with massive amounts of golden coins that he basically just rolls around in from time to time.

Anyway, he may not be a superheroic example, but at least he isn't a villainous one.

Hope that helps.

I think someone else pointed this out, but one interesting item is that the pulp forebears of modern superheroes often earned their wealth. John Carter, The Shadow, and Doc Savage all earned their wealth, as did neo-pulp hero Tom Strong, although both Savage and Strong “inherited” the benefits of ubermensch programs from their fathers.

I don't think it has to do with corruption, it's just (as the article points out) part and parcel of the historic attitude the comics tend to follow.

It was always in bad taste for a Gentleman to sully his hands with mere commerce. An income (in the traditional sense, from rents on property, investments, etc) was one thing--and necessary to maintain that gentlemanly style of living, or to gain a worthy bride. But earning a living? Working with your hands? Or even with your mind? Earning a wage, or even building a successful business? Well...SOMEONE has to do such things, I guess (sniff), but no real gentleman would stoop so low.

Thus...Tony Stark inherits a fortune. Yes, he builds upon it, but that's really only maintenance (like overseeing your gentlemanly investments and holdings), not grubbing for a living like a commoner. Lex Luthor, on the other hand, is the epitome of the money-grubbing social climber, ruthless and ill-bred....

Class consciousness aside, the practical reality is that someone who creates a great fortune from nothing usually has to have made that his priority. Had Bruce Wayne been middle class, then after spending his life from the age of five training in martial arts and criminology...he'd still be middle class. Or less. He might have actually had to support his operations by stealing from his targets and his car would be a lot less cool. One of the advantages of being a supervillain, is that supervillainy can actually be profitable. Doctor Doom gained his wealth the old fashioned way, by stealing it. Same with the Kingpin and probably Lex as well.

IMO one of the more intriguing counter-trend examples is from our own Champions Universe: El Dorado, the philanthopist/hero of South America. Miguel Esconsada de Villareal was born into one of Brazil's oldest and wealthiest families, but he wanted to achieve things on his own merits. When he came into his trust-fund inheritance at age 21, he gave all his money away to charitable causes. He built his own businesses from the ground up, while training in the skills and inventing the gadgets to become a crime fighter.

Granted, El Dorado doubtlessly benefitted from the educational and athletic opportunities of his upbringing, and his attitude toward using his gifts to help others is practically the definition of noblesse oblige. Still, his dedication and accomplishments are extremely impressive.

Lex was born rich. Killed his father to get it. Don't you watch Smallville?

I'm not sure TV Lex and comic-book Lex share the same history.

IIRC the pre-52 version of comic-book Lex murdered his parents, making it look like an accident, so he could collect their insurance and use it as seed-money to built Lexcorp.