Champs trivia

phydaux

DOJ? Do you mean as in Department of Justice?

The Attorney General owns the license to some Champions characters?

Woe, you just blew my tiny, little mind...

I just thought it would be really cool to see some actual comics with Foxbat, Howler, Crusader, Ogre and all those old school Champs heros and villains.

Originally posted by phydaux

DOJ? Do you mean as in Department of Justice?

The Attorney General owns the license to some Champions characters?

Woe, you just blew my tiny, little mind...

I just thought it would be really cool to see some actual comics with Foxbat, Howler, Crusader, Ogre and all those old school Champs heros and villains.

Hehe... yup. Department of Justice. Of course they're less the federal agency and more A Company created to buy "Hero Games" from its previous owner, Cybergames.

Originally posted by Hermit

Actually, in this case, I believe DOJ stands for "Defenders Of Justice" :)

Yer probably right. I was thinking about how there was probably a law against naming yourself the same as a federal agency because of possible misrepresentation. I think somebody once tried that with the one I work for.

Originally posted by Crusader108

....And here I thought I was the only one who owned the series run. :D It was an...interesting series with some...creative {shudder} characters. :D

Oh the original series wasn't bad. What was it 4? 5? books. You know which one I'm talking about, it's the one with the Demon plot line and character writeups in the back. It wasn't great but it wasn't horrific either.

After that though, bleagh. Flare was just bad. And I never picked up any of the others.

Originally posted by Bartman

Oh the original series wasn't bad. What was it 4? 5? books. You know which one I'm talking about, it's the one with the Demon plot line and character writeups in the back. It wasn't great but it wasn't horrific either.

After that though, bleagh. Flare was just bad. And I never picked up any of the others.

I rather liked the ones wherein Malice/Persephone/Ch'Andarra turned all the Champions into avatars of the Greek gods. Poor Hermes got stuck as a girl.

But Flare was just awful.

Originally posted by Redmenace

I'd never heard of the books/s. Care to share some details on the more interesting details?

They were loosely based on George MacDonald's "Guardians" hero team from his own Champs campaign, with some of Dennis Mallonee's concepts thrown in.

Marksman: team leader, combination martial artist/gadgeteer, used ranged sonic weapons (non-lethal).

Icestar: fairly standard ice-elemental character, young with something of a smart-aleck attitude.

Rose: mentalist/mystic, latest incarnation of a mystical guardian hero. Still learning the full range of her powers.

Flare: energy projector bred by neo-Nazis (apparently connected to DEMON in the series). Accelerated growth and aging, superior physical stats, apparently also created to be a "breeder" so had excessive sex-kitten inclinations. :rolleyes:

Giant: called "Goliath" in George's campaign. Growing brick with powers from a mystic harness. Inherited the harness from his wife's late father, the previous Giant, as well as some of his predecessor's memories.

Dr. Arcane: semi-retired Golden Age sorceror hero now confined to a wheelchair. Character combined the styles of Prof. X and Dr. Strange.

Bad guys:

Malice: malevolent goddess of darkness imprisoned in an Egyptian pyramid by Zeus ( :confused: ), accidentally released by the first Giant. Occupied the body of his lover.

The DEMONmaster: shape-changer, brother of Flare, gained mastery over his creators in DEMON. Loosely based on the Chameleon from DEMON 4E.

FOXBAT! Somewhat more sane and competent than he's since been written, though.

I agree that the miniseries wasn't bad, but its successor rapidly started sucking canal water. :( The mini-series plot involved DEMON's attempt to gain the Iron Crown, which would be completed with the addition of a black diamond containing most of Malice's power. Malice was in a dormant state, and in the course of events she was accidentally awakened. Hilarity ensued. ;)

The mini-series included 3E Champions writeups for most of the characters in the back, one or two per issue. IIRC there were six issues in all, published by Eclipse Comics.

Originally posted by mattingly

Oh, come on, Bob. If you could only put in one squirrel, it would have to be a giant squirrel, capable of defending downtown Tokyo. "...and I'll form the bushy tail!"

Nope... though you are in the ballpark. ;)
Here's an easy followup trivia question. What supervillain was bitten by a radioactive frog?
I have to admit to being stumped by this. I thought it probably was Grond, but that's apparently one of the few things that didn't contribute to his condition. Leaper, perhaps?