Australian Supervillains

assault

This is a bit of a brainstorm, possibly followed by some serious character design.

The question is: what supervillains would be expected to be found in Australia?

For starters, the main kinds of natural disaster are: fire, floods, drought and cyclones. Characters based on those are obviously legitimate.

Nasty wildlife: snakes, spiders, crocodiles and magpies. (Magpies are relatively minor, but they are the most likely to be encountered).

The main reason why I wouldn't go wandering around in the bush, or long grass, at the moment is the Eastern Brown snake. Unfortunately, that's a really boring name. Maybe a character could be called something like "James Easton-Browne". He'd need a "proper villain name", though.

Spiders: well, the most interesting ones where I live are Redbacks and Funnel-Webs. Redback has potential. Funnel-web... doesn't.

Crocodiles, meh. On the other hand, a crocodile-man could always serve as a Bunyip.

The associations of magpies with thieves are mainly related to European magpies, but why not? There are also Bowerbirds.

Gadgets and Gear has interesting builds for super-boomerangs. It makes a kind of sense that there would be an Australian villan who throws boomerangs, since I'm not aware of a canonical one already in the official CU.

And while we're at it, a homage to the 19th century bushrangers that called themselves various permutations of "Captain X" would be totally appropriate.

Finally, Black Opals are an Australian specialty. Think Star Sapphire.

Let's see: counting them up, that's 11 villians right there. A good start.

EDIT: we also have sharks. And penguins. And wombats, but we try not to mention them.

Re: Australian Supervillains

Australian Comic Characters - Comic Vine

http://www.comicvine.com/australia/34-55838/

Austrailia - DC Comics Database

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Australia

Austrailia - Marvel Comics Database

http://marvel.wikia.com/Australia

Austrailian Heroes - International Superheroes

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/o/ozzie.htm

Fictional Austalian People - Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Fictional_Australian_people

Hmmm...

QM

I think it was in Champions Worldwide, but there's one Aussie supervillain called Taipan, which covers

the snake-based name angle, but there's no reason that there couldn't be some others with that theme --

say, some with names like Redbelly and Tigersnake, just to name a couple.

As far as a name like Funnel-Web is concerned, don't write it off just yet. Sure, the first thing that's going

to go through someone's mind when they first hear it is "What kind of goofy name is that, anyway?!". But

then, some of the more curious ones are going to look the name up in the local library (or Google it); once

they learn just what kind of critter it is (and how aggressive and toxic), you can bet their tune'll change

PDQ ("Maybe that's not such a goofy name after all...")

Major Tom 2009 :eg:

Minus 15 and counting...

There is no reason that yoiu could not have a villain named after the Kookaburra. The laughing could be a Joker derivative. Then there are the immigrants. Something based on the Japanese bombing of Darwin ?

Aborigine villains based off the Dreaming are a possibility.

Tasmanian Tiger is another possibility plus any other extinct animal or dinosaur from Australia. There was a giant bird much bigger than the Ostrich from the country.

Any villain based off Australian sports particularly Rugby Union and Australian Rules Football.

I think it was in Champions Worldwide' date=' but there's one Aussie supervillain called Taipan, which covers the snake-based name angle, but there's no reason that there couldn't be some others with that theme -- say, some with names like Redbelly and Tigersnake, just to name a couple.[/quote']

I know about Taipan, but Lord Liaden convinced me in another thread that Australia would be a natural stamping ground for COIL. Lots of cool snakes, and little VIPER presence.

There is no reason that yoiu could not have a villain named after the Kookaburra. The laughing could be a Joker derivative.

Interesting. Kookaburras are predators.

Then there are the immigrants. Something based on the Japanese bombing of Darwin ?

Of course there needs to be immigrant characters, as well as ones that aren't thematically "Australian", but I'm working on the latter at the moment. Not as if there is anything uniquely Australian about cyclones, floods, drought and fire...

The bombing of Darwin? Interesting call.

Aborigine villains based off the Dreaming are a possibility.

The one thing I won't be doing. The Dreaming and Well of Worlds has already been mined deeply enough in the official material.

Tasmanian Tiger is another possibility plus any other extinct animal or dinosaur from Australia. There was a giant bird much bigger than the Ostrich from the country.

Yes.

Any villain based off Australian sports particularly Rugby Union

That's Rugby LEAGUE, thank you very much. We're not New Zealanders!

Speaking of which - Kiwis would naturally be represented amongst the "immigrant" component of the supers in Australia, both as heroes and villains. We're never afraid to claim successful Kiwis as our own...

I know about Taipan' date=' but Lord Liaden convinced me in another thread that Australia would be a natural stamping ground for COIL. Lots of cool snakes, and little VIPER presence.[/quote']

And since our discussion there brought up the iconic "Mad Max" film series, there has to be a place in the Australian villain scene for The Lord Humon... er, The Lord Prodigious!

Perhaps a scientist experimenting with alternative fuels, accidentally doused with a compound imbuing him with superhuman strength, but with unfortunate cosmetic side effects (and probably some mental ones).

His funding cut off due to the accident, he now steals the ingredients needed to refine his fuel for mass production, which he sees as his vindication and ticket to wealth and status. It already powers several advanced vehicles of his own design, piloted by his flunkies.

EDIT: we also have sharks. And penguins. And wombats' date=' but we try not to mention them.[/quote']

One of my favorite heroes is Wombat-Man.

wombatman.jpg

from the pages of http://www.magellanverse.com

since it is an Australian webcomic there a lots of Australian characters in it

Go!Anna for example, but have a look : http://www.magellanverse.com/cast/

Hail The Lord Prodigious! :)

Well played, sir.

I'm currently trying to flesh out some of the character concepts I've thrown out here.

Some key points: which are masterminds and which are mooks? There's not a lot of obvious teams there. The four natural disaster characters could work together, with the obvious points that flood tends to neutralise fire and drought, and cyclones enable flood. They're not quite a classic "elemental" team, but are close.

That's actually a problem - there are similar characters in the CU already in most cases. How is the Australian (bush)fire character different from, say, Blowtorch? This needs to be fixed. (On the other hand, reusing character sheets would be the easy way to create mechanical builds for them. ;) )

The tricky one is drought. What are drought powers like exactly? I can see mega-scale type effects, which would make him a major threat by himself, plus more personal level dehydration abilities. His touch could, quite easily, produced instant mummification effects, and he could possibly do similar things at a distance to a lesser degree.

I can't really think of anything special for his defences, but of course he could easily have moderately superhuman resistance to damage "just because". He wouldn't be a brick, but he doesn't have to be a glass cannon either.

Or he could be a glass cannon. He could as easily be a Marvel-style mutant mook as a serious threat. Basically, just another guy who can kill people by touching them.

Movement powers don't really come to mind. How does the personification of drought move from place to place? Bicycle? Teleport? OK, teleport, then.

But this is putting the cart before the horse. Who is he (or she), and how did he get his powers?

I might reread Wrath of the Seven Horsemen.

No Platypus? he was such a cool mobster in Astro City.

Not really fond of Wombat Man after he was caught cheating on his girl, but the Wombat from the Badger was awesome.

I think the triads and tongs might be active like in the Tony Jaa movie where they steal the elephant. maybe one of their go to guys is a gunslinger

CES

The tricky one is drought. What are drought powers like exactly? I can see mega-scale type effects, which would make him a major threat by himself, plus more personal level dehydration abilities. His touch could, quite easily, produced instant mummification effects, and he could possibly do similar things at a distance to a lesser degree.

I can't really think of anything special for his defences, but of course he could easily have moderately superhuman resistance to damage "just because". He wouldn't be a brick, but he doesn't have to be a glass cannon either.

Or he could be a glass cannon. He could as easily be a Marvel-style mutant mook as a serious threat. Basically, just another guy who can kill people by touching them.

Movement powers don't really come to mind. How does the personification of drought move from place to place? Bicycle? Teleport? OK, teleport, then.

But this is putting the cart before the horse. Who is he (or she), and how did he get his powers?

A damage shield might be good for drought but only against mammals.

CES

I'm currently trying to flesh out some of the character concepts I've thrown out here.

Some key points: which are masterminds and which are mooks? There's not a lot of obvious teams there. The four natural disaster characters could work together, with the obvious points that flood tends to neutralise fire and drought, and cyclones enable flood. They're not quite a classic "elemental" team, but are close.

That's actually a problem - there are similar characters in the CU already in most cases. How is the Australian (bush)fire character different from, say, Blowtorch? This needs to be fixed. (On the other hand, reusing character sheets would be the easy way to create mechanical builds for them. ;) )

Several published Hero Games books describe characters who aren't given full sheets as, "take character X from book Y" with a name and perhaps appearance change, and maybe some SFX or game-mechanic tweaks. For example, if you wanted a villain named Bushfire based on Blowtorch, but with innate superhuman powers rather than equipment, just remove the Focus Limitation from Blowtorch's Powers.

The tricky one is drought. What are drought powers like exactly? I can see mega-scale type effects' date=' which would make him a major threat by himself, plus more personal level dehydration abilities. His touch could, quite easily, produced instant mummification effects, and he could possibly do similar things at a distance to a lesser degree.[/quote']

Dessication will also affect plants, and crumble objects and structures made of wood. It might be appropriate to give Drought control of dust, which he can form into blinding or choking clouds. Instanteous dehydration of a volume of air could produce a stunning implosion.

How about "self-dessication?" He could convert his body to a loose agglomeration of dust particles, which most blows and weapons pass through harmlessly (Damage Reduction, or Desolidification at the extreme). Perhaps he can travel rapidly in this form, like a swirling dust-devil. Or he could gather ambient dust to coat his body like armor.

I got a lot of use back in the day out of the Worm Scepter from WotSH, long after the adventure was run. It was one of my favorite instruments for origins and radiation accidents. It can produce a very wide variety of character types, with conceptually-unified powers and focussed, extreme personalities and motivations.

It would actually be very reasonable to reintroduce the Worm Scepter, or something thematically similar, into the present Champions Universe. We have the Elder Worm, we have lost Elder Worm artifacts some of which are known to transform humans. I've been considering reusing WotSH for my modified CU-based campaign, substituting one of the versions of the Slug for the Prime from that book.

I never know how to create heroes/villains from other cultures without being culturally insensitive. About as far as I will usually go is the stereotypical Oriental Martial Arts character (and I am much more likely to do the "American trained in Japan" schtick than actually try to run a truly Oriental character).

I never know how to create heroes/villains from other cultures without being culturally insensitive. About as far as I will usually go is the stereotypical Oriental Martial Arts character (and I am much more likely to do the "American trained in Japan" schtick than actually try to run a truly Oriental character).

Personally, I'm quite comfortable building characters that are supposedly from the USA. :)

Actually, part of my goal is to create some Australian villains that people from outside Oz can use without getting anything obvious wrong.

An example of the kind of subtleties involved came up earlier in the thread: the two varieties of Rugby, and the fact that it is Rugby League that is the dominant form in Australia. Steve Long got that one wrong in Champions Worldwide, along with assuming that there are city level police forces in Australia, and that the "Mayor of Sydney" is actually the mayor of all of Sydney, rather than a few inner-city suburbs. It's not a matter of offence, just a case of not doing the research.

Speaking of which, the State of Origin Rugby League matches between Queensland and New South Wales would form a good basis for a scenario. The matches played in Queensland are usually played at Lang Park - which is in part built on a former cemetery.

Naturally, Brigade (from Champions Worldwide) would be there when the dead began to walk...

I got a lot of use back in the day out of the Worm Scepter from WotSH, long after the adventure was run. It was one of my favorite instruments for origins and radiation accidents. It can produce a very wide variety of character types, with conceptually-unified powers and focussed, extreme personalities and motivations.

It would actually be very reasonable to reintroduce the Worm Scepter, or something thematically similar, into the present Champions Universe. We have the Elder Worm, we have lost Elder Worm artifacts some of which are known to transform humans. I've been considering reusing WotSH for my modified CU-based campaign, substituting one of the versions of the Slug for the Prime from that book.

Oh dear. :eg:

I must rep some people, so I can rep you again.

Speaking of which - Kiwis would naturally be represented amongst the "immigrant" component of the supers in Australia' date=' both as heroes and villains. We're never afraid to claim successful Kiwis as our own...[/quote']

You may not want to tap into the aboriginal Australian traditions for inspiration, but how about Maori? Bet there's cool stuff to be found there.

Here's a little more off-the-wall suggestion: New Zealand has had a lot of concentrated materialised fantasy going on within its borders over the past couple of decades. Lord of the Rings, the Hobbit, Hercules, Xena. Sets, props, and costumes are all over the place. Perhaps the Incubus (from Champions Villains Vol. 3 -- the CU's analogue to Mr. Myxyzptlk) decides it would be interesting to put a little real life into them, and creates or changes beings in motifs inspired by these entertainments.

You may not want to tap into the aboriginal Australian traditions for inspiration' date=' but how about Maori? Bet there's cool stuff to be found there.[/quote']

True, but I would rather leave that to the Kiwis.

Here's a little more off-the-wall suggestion: New Zealand has had a lot of concentrated materialised fantasy going on within its borders over the past couple of decades.

Interesting. You could add the later Power Rangers series to that too.

Again, though, I'd be hesitant to go too much into detail on New Zealand.

NZ is kind of like Australia's Canada.

Any Kiwis reading this? Any ideas?