Australian Supervillains

assault

Re: Australian Supervillains

Are there any popular nicknames for 'roos in your culture?

Really only archaic ones that I would rather avoid. Boomer might be appropriate in the Silver Age. Unfortunately, in my mind it's inextricably connected with this song, which we will never mention ever again.

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlSsffF2xhA"

I'm thinking about making the 4e Dark Brotherhood a bit of a homage to the 70s Secret Society of Super Villains. This would include a character who was a homage to the Paul Kirk clone in that series.

He might have been created by Teleios, and trying to avoid being controlled by him.

As always, I need a visual.

And this suggests a Master Plan for Teleios: infiltrating his creations into every single (major) superhero, supervillain or agent group on the planet, either as members or close associates. The only restriction might be that his creations might not be able to use magic. Then, when the time is ripe.... Even if the Plan fails, the rewards in terms of intelligence gathered could be substantial.

Obviously this is based on DC's Millenium.

Boomer might be appropriate in the Silver Age. Unfortunately' date=' in my mind it's inextricably connected with this song, which we will never mention ever again.[/quote']Six white boomers

Snow white boomers

Racing Santa Clause

Through the blazing sun

Six white boomers

Snow white boomers

On his Australian run

Heh, that's a catchy tune; I like it. :bounce: I also like that at 1:02, Australia looks a bit like a controller for a game console. :whistle:

I'm thinking about making the 4e Dark Brotherhood a bit of a homage to the 70s Secret Society of Super Villains. This would include a character who was a homage to the Paul Kirk clone in that series.

He might have been created by Teleios, and trying to avoid being controlled by him.

As always, I need a visual.

And this suggests a Master Plan for Teleios: infiltrating his creations into every single (major) superhero, supervillain or agent group on the planet, either as members or close associates. The only restriction might be that his creations might not be able to use magic. Then, when the time is ripe.... Even if the Plan fails, the rewards in terms of intelligence gathered could be substantial.

Obviously this is based on DC's Millenium.

In fact there's already precedent. Teleios created an artificial superhero programmed with false memories to become prominent and influence society:

the "Teen Dream" from Teen Champions. She's very much like a young Britney Spears with super powers. Teleios makes sure she gets plenty of press, including setting up public "crimes" for her to stop, so she becomes a youth role-model. Teen Dream herself has no idea she's anything but a legitimate super hero, albeit a highly commercialized one.

I think I might add Captain Mercury to my to-do list. I originally had him down as a hero, but, frankly, my list of villains sucks.

As I've pointed out upthread, several historical bushrangers used "Captain x" type names, so it's quite appropriate that a speedster villain - a bushranger of sorts - should emulate this.

Having said that, I originally thought of the name after I met an army officer whose last name was "Mercuri". And yes, he was a Captain...

I'll give him a generic "experimental fuel explosion" origin.

What I need are the visuals. Maybe something inspired by the suit Australian sprinter Cathy Freeman wore at the Sydney Olympics.

I always felt it was very superhero-ish.

How about to do the Harold Holt? or use Holt?

Probably better suited to the Golden Age: Bounder.

That said, "Boomer, the Kangaroo Man" is starting to overcome my resistance to silly. It's not as bad as Boomerangutan, is it?

And there's no reason whatsoever that he couldn't be a Seeker homage.... All it requires is a half-Chinese Kung Fu master in the outback, to help him develop his unique kangaroo style of fighting.

He might be a mutant as well.

While he is an obvious loser villain, it would be easy to make him competent in a one on one situation. Just let him set up some traps in the area where he is planning to carry out a crime, and Our Hero can easily get him or herself into a very embarrassing situation.

OK, so Boomer the Kangaroo Man is in.

He's a second or third-rate villain, so he doesn't need a particularly interesting costume.

He models himself on Red and Grey Kangaroos, so those should be his costume colours. Let's give him a grey bodysuit, with red trunks, boots, gloves and a cowl. Ultra-generic, but who cares?

• 8 years later...
On 12/4/2012 at 4:51 PM, assault said:

Probably better suited to the Golden Age: Bounder.

That said, "Boomer, the Kangaroo Man" is starting to overcome my resistance to silly. It's not as bad as Boomerangutan, is it?

And there's no reason whatsoever that he couldn't be a Seeker homage.... All it requires is a half-Chinese Kung Fu master in the outback, to help him develop his unique kangaroo style of fighting.

He might be a mutant as well.

While he is an obvious loser villain, it would be easy to make him competent in a one on one situation. Just let him set up some traps in the area where he is planning to carry out a crime, and Our Hero can easily get him or herself into a very embarrassing situation.

Maybe he learned Cricket Style Ninjitsu? Cricket as in the style in UMA 4th not the game. 😁

Or maybe he is a free runner? And because he bounces so easily, he’s called a Kangaroo? And yes I would develop a “martial art” based on it.

Btw, iirc, Static Shock cartoon had a super villain named Kanga because the mutation gave him super strong leg muscles and he could jump far and kick really strongly.

18 minutes ago, DreadDomain said:

Are you in Brisbane?

No, Toowoomba, but it's all "you have to carry a mask, wear one at work, and even the pubs are weird".

There is actually one case up here, which potentially means there could be more than one, so the side effects of the Brisbane lockdown are actually a good thing. Besides, I have a box of cheap wine and nothing better to do than design Champions characters...

Has anyone ever think of creating an Australian supervillain without using any stereotypes associated with the country? In reality there wouldn't be a kangaroo or platypus or boomerang based villain from Australia but more like any other villain from other places on Earth.

Still, one can have fun with Shrimp Barbie, the fire using aquatic shrimp based power armor user...

Champions Worldwide has a few that aren't stereotypical. Anathema is a mentalist who projects negative emotions into the minds of her victims. Lightning Man found a couple of enchanted axes which gave him super strength, flight, and the power to cast lightning bolts. Taipan does use the name of a snake endemic to Australia, and has a "venomous touch," but his schtick is more incredible speed and melee skills.