Fins and Ray-Guns

teh bunneh

What are the best examples of "Fins and Ray-Guns" fiction? The art deco style of science fiction/science fantasy that was popular through the 50s or so? Movies, books, comics, TV -- I'm especially interested in stuff that's still in print and relatively easy to find. And I'm not limiting myself to stuff that was produced prior to the 50s -- stuff that was written more recently with the same sensibilities (either played straight or ironically) is good too. Things like Twilight (by Howard Chaykin, not Stephanie Meyers!) or Dan Dare (by Garth Ennis) are cool.

Help a bunneh out! :)

Re: Fins and Ray-Guns

You should check out The Digital Comic Museum. Charlton, Avon and Youthful Publishing all have comics in this general genre though admittedly ray-guns are a lot more common than fins.

Also, it been advertised at this board before, but I'm going to make a shout out to the web series The Mercury Men anyway. No fins but still very cool.

• 3 weeks later...

For movies, start with the classics, like Forbidden Planet. Awesome movie. There was also the Commando Cody series, which is a precursor to The Rocketeer. It had a bit of Flash Gordon rocketry thrown in with jet packs.

For books, there are the old EE. Doc Smith Lensman books. Aaaaand... all of a sudden my brain has locked up. Will think of more later. Probably at 3am when I jerk out of a sound sleep and say "Oh yeah! THAT'S what I was trying to remember!"

Yeah, a second plug for the Lensman series. Almost genre-defining.

Christopher Anvil's Interstellar Patrol stuff was written much later and begins to drift out of the genre, but it's still material you could use.

I might suggest some of the early Perry Rhodan stories. Particularly from the first cycle ending with number 41 The Earth Dies, although the second cycle Time's Lonely One through A Friend to Mankind (#91) also would be useful to you. They were written in the early 60s and are very Pulp space opera-ish.

I remember that someone around here had a link to a site where you could download them as pdf files, but I don't remember who or where exactly.

Perhaps someone else could help.

Third approval for the Lensmen.

But while you're talking about Doc Smith, don't forget the Skylark of Space and its sequels.

They're hard to find now, but good reads.

Although the power level goes WAY up in the later books, as well of the scale of the whole thing.

It would be wrong to characterize his stuff as great literature, but it's got lots of readable pulpy space goodness. I suspect he may have started a lot of the tropes of the genre, but I haven't studied that era enough to be certain.