How would you build a Zombie?

Cassandra

In honor of Halloween, I'm asking how would you build a Zombie for Champions?

I did a build a while back, and used the Automaton rules.  My Zombie had 10 STR 10 DEX  3 INT 0 EGO 10 PRE 0 COM 2 PD 2 ED 2 SPD.  It had Does not Bleed, and Does Not Take STUN. 

As the zombie is an Automaton, it has three "commands", identify food, search for food, attack food.

All of it's powers were No END, or it didn't need REC or END.

Zombies have Full Life Support except for Longevity.  A Disadvantages would be a Lifespan of 5 years.  Zombies would have a 2x Entangle (Ice/Cold), and a 2x BODY (Head Shots).

Zombies would have Armor +3 rPD +3 rED, Ablative, not vs. headshots, to reflect they can take considerable damage before being destroyed.

It had Running 6", No END, No NCM (-1/4), Half Move Only (-1/4).  Zombies don't run.

Zombies have a No END on 10 STR, and a HKA 1d6-1 [1d6+1 w/STR] No END Attack. 

Linked to the HKA Attack (-1/4 because it's less points) is a Transform [Medium] 1d6 No END Continuous, Uncontrolled, Cumulitive, No Range, Target Must take Body from HKA.  This is the virus that turns people into zombies.  Traditionally there is no cure from being transformed, but in a superhero universe anything is possible.

Depending on which interpretation of the genre you're emulating (are they fairly feeble singly, like Romero's "Dawn of the Dead", or do they move at warp speed like the Zak Snyder remake?) I might give them the Physical Complication "Always considered in 'non-combat' mode" -- that effectively means that zombies are always 0 OCV, 1/2 DCV, and Hit Location penalties are halved.  This would allow even relatively inexperienced fighters to score head shots on a fairly regular basis (even Carl Grimes has capped several), and that, one on one, it's pretty easy to avoid being grabbed unless you're surprised.  Also in keeping with the genre, I might say that zombies have the Teamwork Skill when attacking in swarms, to simulate how the humans can be overwhelmed by sheer force of numbers, even if the zombies are attacking with a 0 OCV.

And from a metagame standpoint, I'd probably build the zombie virus as AVAD -- the first time a character is bitten, he rolls an Activation Roll; if the attack fails to activate, the character is declared genetically "immune" and can NEVER be affected by the Transform (at least, until the virus has time to mutate or if there's multiple strains of the virus).  It may work in a two-hour movie for a single bite to be a death sentence, but in an ongoing RPG players are either going to be very frustrated or act in ways inconsistent with the genre if they can't afford to screw up even once.  I'd probably also throw in a "Delayed Effect" Limitation, giving the PC's a chance to amputate or otherwise treat the wound before the infection spreads.

I agree with the activation roll.  If the zombies were being played in a game, then the characters should make a CON roll to resist the zombie plague.  And the characters should have combat luck too!  Im trying to think of the zombie remake (Day of the Dead?) that the zombies could run faster and had superleap to boot!

Depending on which interpretation of the genre you're emulating (are they fairly feeble singly, like Romero's "Dawn of the Dead", or do they move at warp speed like the Zak Snyder remake?) I might give them the Physical Complication "Always considered in 'non-combat' mode" -- that effectively means that zombies are always 0 OCV, 1/2 DCV, and Hit Location penalties are halved.  This would allow even relatively inexperienced fighters to score head shots on a fairly regular basis (even Carl Grimes has capped several), and that, one on one, it's pretty easy to avoid being grabbed unless you're surprised.  Also in keeping with the genre, I might say that zombies have the Teamwork Skill when attacking in swarms, to simulate how the humans can be overwhelmed by sheer force of numbers, even if the zombies are attacking with a 0 OCV.

And from a metagame standpoint, I'd probably build the zombie virus as AVAD -- the first time a character is bitten, he rolls an Activation Roll; if the attack fails to activate, the character is declared genetically "immune" and can NEVER be affected by the Transform (at least, until the virus has time to mutate or if there's multiple strains of the virus).  It may work in a two-hour movie for a single bite to be a death sentence, but in an ongoing RPG players are either going to be very frustrated or act in ways inconsistent with the genre if they can't afford to screw up even once.  I'd probably also throw in a "Delayed Effect" Limitation, giving the PC's a chance to amputate or otherwise treat the wound before the infection spreads.

The Zombies I'm thinking of are the Night of the Living Dead/World War Z (Book) ones.  They eat any living thing, despite the fact they have no need for food.  They can only make half moves in their No END Running, which simulates their "slouching" very well, and leaves them a half move for attacking.

I see their bite as always infecting someone without LS: Immunity [Disease] or [Zombie Infection].  The Transform is Minor as they retain their normal human form, just altered in terms of walking around and trying to eat the living.  They aren't much of a threat to most superheroes.   They're HKA can't penetrate the Armor/Damage Resistance/Force Field most heroes have, and they are very slow moving.  The main problem for the Heroes will be protecting the innocent, and dealing with those bitten ("Sorry, Robin/Bucky/Lois, but you've been infected.  I'm afraid there is nothing we can do")

I'd say it's a Major Transformation -- the person that existed before the infection don't afterwards. That's pretty major.

This.  You are essentially killing the character, the fact that a monster replaces them does not make the Transform less severe.  That's like calling a Turn to Stone spell a Minor Transform because they are still the same general shape and made out of matter.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't do the Automaton thing.  Zombies in movies and on TWD often can be stunned, even "knocked out" for a little while.  They have a low-grade animal intellect, and exceptional ones might even be capable of rudimentary tactical decisions.  I would give them Damage reduction vs. non-head shots (-1/4), 75%, only vs. body, and 50% vs. stun only.  Sell back noncombat running and a couple meters of regular running.  Speed 2, they aren't really that much slower than normal humans in terms of hand to hand combat.  You can create a baseline "average" zombie, then create packages for "fast", "strong", "tough", and "smart" zombies(think fast/faster/fastest, 3 levels for each category).  An "Alpha" zombie should have at least one level of each package.  PCs who "turn" should be "converted" into Alphas of appropriate threat/power level, imo. 

Rather than armor I would probably give them 3/4 damage reduction that only applies to piercing attacks (including bullets) but with limited coverage (their head is not protected). You can eventually bust their body apart by doing enough damage but it's going to take a long time, especially if you are dealing with normal attacks. Edged weapons will let you take apart their bodies faster but shooting them anywhere but the head isn't going to be very productive (unless you are shooting them with something explosive like a rocket).

This.  You are essentially killing the character, the fact that a monster replaces them does not make the Transform less severe.  That's like calling a Turn to Stone spell a Minor Transform because they are still the same general shape and made out of matter.

I think that this level is actually Severe (the highest level). This level includes "Turn to Stone", "Turn to Frog" and "Turn into willing slave" effects.

Another idea is to forgoe the entire Transform thing. It's genre convention (not a power) that says "everyone killed by Zombieplague turns into Zombie". Just make the Zombie-Plague some KA, DoT, NND, does Body. It's often established that "if you kill them before they turn, they stay dead".

I don't do the Automaton thing.  Zombies in movies and on TWD often can be stunned, even "knocked out" for a little while.

I fully agree on that part. I don't think "Takes no STUN" and "cannot be stunned" are good powers, neither for Undead nor Robots. Lately I regulary see in the source material what could be best moddeled simply as "plain old being stunned/knocked out". Being pushed back and being impaled on a metal rod (so they are stuck) could be the Zombie equivalent of "being stunned" or "beign knocked out". The time to recover is how long it takes the zombie to work it's way back up on it's feet.

I would build them with: Low stun&REC, low Body, high rPD&rED. The Defenses are limited to not be strong at the head and perhaps to not prevent STUN that well. Stunning or Knocking out a Zombie is easy (it prevents the Zed from attacking you, for a while). Killing it is what is the issue!

I built the zombie virus like a poison. Gradual effect NND RKA that did Body and could stopped by various medical treatments (including amputation of the affected limb). The fact that a zombie rose from the corpse was just a campaign rule (in this setting all dead rose unless they were decapitated, the brain severely damage, etc).

You may want to give the zombies a Vulnerability to Headshots. In most depictions they fall pretty quickly to them. Maybe a modest body and fairly high armor compared to the typical campaign damage so it takes some luck to get Body through with anything other than a headshot. The armor might work against some attacks (explosives, fire, chainsaws, etc) that do allot of structural damage but punches, most bullets, knives and such are almost ineffective.

• 3 months later...

If I'm building it for a horror game, against normal humans, it would be something like this:

Str 15

Dex 3

Con 15

Body 10

Int 3

Ego 3

Pre 15

Com 0

PD 6

ED 3

Spd 2

Rec 6

End 30

Stun 26

4/2 Damage Resistance

Martial grab (as an NPC monster it doesn't have to buy a full martial arts package)

+3 with grab (still only giving it a 3 OCV)

1/2 D6 HKA (D6+1 w/str  - reduced penetration)

Tracking scent

Major Transform - 1 pip, 0 end, continuous uncontrolled, no range, bite must do body, gradual effect every 5 minutes

Life support: breathing and does not sleep (the rest are irrelevant to the game)

x2 body from head shots

Distinctive feature: zombie (not conceal, extreme)

Psych lim: all flesh must be eaten (VC, total)

Keep them simple.  Individual zombies are not that tough.  They're fighting normal humans who generally don't have access to the best weapons.  A zombie is still generally not a match for a mean human.  It's 30 points, and I think that properly reflects their power level.  They'll be facing competent normals at best, who have to account for a weapon's strength minimum (so a baseball bat might only be doing 4 dice total or so), and are probably trying to conserve ammo.

Ingredients

• 1/2 ounce white rum
  • 1 1/2 ounces golden rum
  • 1 ounce dark rum
  • 1/2 ounce 151-proof rum
  • 1 ounce lime juice
  • 1 teaspoon pineapple juice
  • 1 teaspoon papaya juice
  • 1 teaspoon superfine sugar

Glass Type: Collins glass

Instructions

Stir together all these ingredients (the juice in the recipe is what mixologist David Embury calls the "mystery ingredient"; it can be pineapple juice, passion fruit nectar, coconut milk, apricot, or cherry brandy -- just about anything this side of Romilar) except the 151 and pour into a 14-ounce glass three-fourths full of cracked ice. Float the 151 as a lid (by pouring it into a spoon and gently dipping it under the surface of the drink). Then, if the spirit moves you, take a match to this mixture; it will burn. Garnish with mint (either straight or dipped in lime juice and then superfine sugar) and/or fruit. (A particularly fetching touch: On a toothpick, impale a lemon slice or pineapple cube between two maraschino cherries and lay this fruit kabob atop of the drink). Supply a straw and, after two, a hammock. After three: a stretcher.

;)

Ingredients

• 1/2 ounce white rum
  • 1 1/2 ounces golden rum
  • 1 ounce dark rum
  • 1/2 ounce 151-proof rum
  • 1 ounce lime juice
  • 1 teaspoon pineapple juice
  • 1 teaspoon papaya juice
  • 1 teaspoon superfine sugar

Glass Type: Collins glass

Instructions

Stir together all these ingredients (the juice in the recipe is what mixologist David Embury calls the "mystery ingredient"; it can be pineapple juice, passion fruit nectar, coconut milk, apricot, or cherry brandy -- just about anything this side of Romilar) except the 151 and pour into a 14-ounce glass three-fourths full of cracked ice. Float the 151 as a lid (by pouring it into a spoon and gently dipping it under the surface of the drink). Then, if the spirit moves you, take a match to this mixture; it will burn. Garnish with mint (either straight or dipped in lime juice and then superfine sugar) and/or fruit. (A particularly fetching touch: On a toothpick, impale a lemon slice or pineapple cube between two maraschino cherries and lay this fruit kabob atop of the drink). Supply a straw and, after two, a hammock. After three: a stretcher.

;)

Mike Nelson ("Mystery Science Theater 3000") gave out the recipe on the alternate audio track of Night of the Living Dead.

I don't do the Automaton thing.  Zombies in movies and on TWD often can be stunned, even "knocked out" for a little while.  They have a low-grade animal intellect, and exceptional ones might even be capable of rudimentary tactical decisions.  I would give them Damage reduction vs. non-head shots (-1/4), 75%, only vs. body, and 50% vs. stun only.  Sell back noncombat running and a couple meters of regular running.  Speed 2, they aren't really that much slower than normal humans in terms of hand to hand combat.  You can create a baseline "average" zombie, then create packages for "fast", "strong", "tough", and "smart" zombies(think fast/faster/fastest, 3 levels for each category).  An "Alpha" zombie should have at least one level of each package.  PCs who "turn" should be "converted" into Alphas of appropriate threat/power level, imo. 

I definitely agree on the Stun issue. I think that's something that gets assumed to quickly for most undead and robots. The Walking Dead zombies seem persistent but they do get staggered by good hits, particularly to the head without being destroyed. I can remember a couple of instances of one being "knocked out" that is out of commission for awhile (seems like almost an hour) by a close range shotgun blast but it recovered.

I'm not as sure about their intelligence. They're pretty blindly hungry and will walk right into blatant traps for food such as impaling themselves on spiked defenses and working straight at people with firearms. I'd say Machine Intelligence at best. At most their Intellect characteristic in Hero Terms (speed of thought) would be very low.

For a full on superhero game I might not flesh out (heh) the zombies very much if they're just shamblers like TWD. Just give them so many body pips, mobile scenery that tries to kill people and assume superheroic level attacks can blow them apart fairly easily even though they're mostly dead meat. Their attacks probably won't be a threat to most superhumans but they can threaten innocents and via sheer numbers might be nuance or obstacle to getting to the cause of the outbreak or their master. There might be "super zombies" created from superhumans that somehow get infected. Even if they only maintain their physical powers a zombified brick could be a pretty big threat, for example.