And Lo, my Windows 10 upgrade reminder popped up today.

Enforcer84

• 3 months later...

Well, I finally decided to take the plunge today. My Windows 7 install is incapable of getting updates, none of the fixes I've found have worked, and I can't find the disk. I figure I'll have to move to 10 or its successor eventually anyway, and don't like being without security updates, so I've started the download of 10.

I'm a bit scared. Somebody hold me and tell me everything's going to be alright.

OK, I'm now on Windows 10.

I reinstalled 7.

I installed updates up to Service Pack 1.

Immediately after installing SP1 and rebooting, I checked for updates.

The Updater updated itself. And broke.

So, I spent all night last night trying to fix the updater on a clean system. No love. I manually installed every patch that's supposed to fix the updater, in order, and none did.

Soooo . . . I tried installing 10 with updates disabled. Still jammed up 25% through updates.

Found out that unplugging my DVD/Blue Ray drive might help with that. It did.

Just finished installing 10.

So far, so good.

I still have a few apps and games to install, and a few more annoyances to track down and disable, but so far so good. I don't mind the overall look, and it seems fairly fast.

We're finding driver issues in the pre-boot environment on some of our machines. There are devices that use a USB hub to host a bunch of other stuff. Rebooting the computer will sometimes cause the machine to appear to hang (often at the motherboard's splash screen), until the USB hub is disconnected. The computers use UEFI, which has its own library of built-in drivers.

In a different matter, HP is putting the installation files for the drivers and bloatware in a bit of flash memory on some of their business printers, with the assumption that the end user can just plug it in with USB and mount the memory as a drive. Of course, we actually limit access to flash drives for most of our end users for safety reasons, which means that sometimes the entire device becomes unavailable, even as a printer.

My institution spammed us that we're going to Windows 10 en bloc in a couple of months. I wonder how long the Windows folks will be out of action and/or lose critical functionality, given the gross general incompetence of our IT contractor.

At least I have a Mac in one of my offices so I won't be utterly lost in space, time, and upgrade.

My institution spammed us that we're going to Windows 10 en bloc in a couple of months. I wonder how long the Windows folks will be out of action and/or lose critical functionality, given the gross general incompetence of our IT contractor.

At least I have a Mac in one of my offices so I won't be utterly lost in space, time, and upgrade.

And internet.

I have withdrawal after a minute or two without internet.

I have sort of structured my daily routine around checking messages and stuff before getting on with it. Not being able to do so would disrupt my routine, but ultimately not be something that was a day killer. Now if any of my "persistent internet connection required" video games was hampered, I might literally melt down. :D