And Lo, my Windows 10 upgrade reminder popped up today.

Enforcer84

I really wish I could figure out how to put some of my old games to downloaded onto Windows 10 (not to mention Hero Designer)

If you've got a copy of Hero Designer running on another computer, just copy its folder over, install Java, and you're pretty much done. I don't think that I've done the full installer route for it in a long time.

Yeap. I keep a copy of HDv3 on a USB stick and I've had no problem using it from any computer I might sit down at, be it Windows, Mac, or Linux.

Speaking of Linux, I wasn't able start the process of switching over to LinuxMint before New Years because life always laughs at you when you make a plan. However, I'll have plenty of free time to get it done soon, so expect me to post a screen shot of my minty fresh new operating system within the next month.

Ah, the reminder. I hate the reminder. I'm waiting for it to force an upgrade to 10 on one of my home systems, as various sources keep threatening.

As for 10 itself I'm not upgrading my main computer any time soon but it's working fine on several of the newer laptops I've purchased for the office.  It's a lot better than 8 - so much so that right now if anyone has issues with their 8 install in the office I've just been upgrading to 10 (you'd be surprised how often that has resolved their issue).

That said if you want to keep automatic updates on and still want to take advantage of the 'free' upgrade at some point in the future you should consider disabling GWX in the registry.  

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

Software

Policies

Microsoft

Windows

Add a key called GWX and then create a dword in the key that says DisableGWX set to 1.  It shuts it up and the windows update still sees that it's installed and doesn't keep trying to install it (that happened on my wife's system even though I uninstalled and hid the update).

I did this pretty much the first time I saw what GWX was trying to do on every office system (and I'm not alone - I found better instructions online to forward to our western office IT staff afterwards - they're of the opinion if you can't google it it's not a solution (and then call me whenever they can't find a solution on google).

I've read articles saying that the last series of windows updates was supposed to undo that registry change specifically but GWX has remained dormant on the guinea pig system that gets updated at least a month before I update the user systems (microsoft patches love to break the retail software we use).  

The most annoying thing I've come across when reverting from 10 to 7 is that your windows 7 installation is no longer valid after reversion (at least OEM keys)  - you have to re-enter the key (which is exactly why I leave the OEM sticker slapped to the side of the tower whenever I replace a system.) 

If you've got a copy of Hero Designer running on another computer, just copy its folder over, install Java, and you're pretty much done. I don't think that I've done the full installer route for it in a long time.

Actually it just locks up during installation  (though it doesn't let me quit unless I turn the computer off, but it just stays on the same spot of installation until I give up, I waited 30 minutes one time.

Actually it just locks up during installation  (though it doesn't let me quit unless I turn the computer off, but it just stays on the same spot of installation until I give up, I waited 30 minutes one time.

1. Do you have a working copy (already installed) on another computer? If so, find the folder and copy it over. As has been noted in the thread, once it's been extracted properly, it's essentially a portable application, and can live anywhere.

2. Are you trying to install it in a directory where you have full rights? Windows Vista and higher limit access to certain directories, and the solution's to pick one that you have full rights. Example: make a directory called c:\herodesigner and you can install there.

3. Are you using a 64 bit version of Java? HD won't install with that, so find a 32-bit version and use that to open the installer file.

And if all else fails, look here: http://www.herogames.com/forums/topic/89609-issues-executing-jar-files-under-windows/

Well, the time has nearly come for my 'how long can you ignore Windows 10 in the tray' test system.  It's been pestering me to update for quite a while but two days ago it calmly announced that it was going to install on March 9th unless I rescheduled.

I immediately cancelled that date (and theoretically the upgrade) and blocked GWX from running via the registry.  I wonder if that will be enough to stop it this time? Contemplating deleting the $windows.~bt directory as well but sometimes MS gets touchy about that sort of thing and the computer *is* used daily so I don't really want to mess it up trying to stop the upgrade juggernaut.

Anyone else have any luck purging the impending windows 10 update from their system?

Windows 10 works great on my Surface Pro 3; only complaint I have is if a disconnect the keyboard, someone at Windows thinks "tablet mode" means "no input fields or on screen keyboard is needed" and promptly prevents you from doing things. So I had to disable tablet mode completely.

Win10 also works great on my (Admittedly robust) work desktop.

I like that it takes some of the features of Win8 and Win7 that I liked and combines them. The Start Menu I find useful, for a change.

Well, the time has nearly come for my 'how long can you ignore Windows 10 in the tray' test system.  It's been pestering me to update for quite a while but two days ago it calmly announced that it was going to install on March 9th unless I rescheduled.

I immediately cancelled that date (and theoretically the upgrade) and blocked GWX from running via the registry.  I wonder if that will be enough to stop it this time? Contemplating deleting the $windows.~bt directory as well but sometimes MS gets touchy about that sort of thing and the computer *is* used daily so I don't really want to mess it up trying to stop the upgrade juggernaut.

Anyone else have any luck purging the impending windows 10 update from their system?

You may want to change your preferences on your computer and not have your computer automatically update itself. Then search for a list of nagware programs and see if any of them have been installed. You can uninstall those programs.

You may want to change your preferences on your computer and not have your computer automatically update itself. Then search for a list of nagware programs and see if any of them have been installed. You can uninstall those programs.

One of the system's main jobs is 'guinea pig'.  It's a test bed for patches, etc, and how they'll interact with our ridiculously fragile POS software.  As it stands I owe one of my assistants money because GWX did indeed eventually say 'enough sitting around - I'm tired of waiting for you to pick a time so I'll do it myself'.  Even after almost 20 years in the business I didn't think they'd go that far.

I've seen that before. I've replicated most of that programs functionality myself with some very messy registry changes.  Still, it's as good a time to test it as any in case I need a fast and easy to deploy solution and I do like how clean it's UI is. Let's see if it works as advertised.

Windows 10 works great on my Surface Pro 3; only complaint I have is if a disconnect the keyboard, someone at Windows thinks "tablet mode" means "no input fields or on screen keyboard is needed" and promptly prevents you from doing things. So I had to disable tablet mode completely.

Win10 also works great on my (Admittedly robust) work desktop.

I like that it takes some of the features of Win8 and Win7 that I liked and combines them. The Start Menu I find useful, for a change.

I don't believe that I've seen that keyboard issue on my Surface Pro 3, though I've got it set to ask me before going into tablet mode when the keyboard cover is removed. I have seen issues with the rotation lock--if it's set while in tablet mode, it's not able to be changed if I switch back to regular mode. I need to go back into tablet mode, turn off rotation lock, and the exit tablet mode. Other than that, Windows 10 works great on it and my other 3 computers including an original release Core 2 Duo desktop (from 2006) that's now a great media and file server.

I've seen that before. I've replicated most of that programs functionality myself with some very messy registry changes.  Still, it's as good a time to test it as any in case I need a fast and easy to deploy solution and I do like how clean it's UI is. Let's see if it works as advertised.

It has many satisfied users. The developer keeps updating it to handle changes made by Microsoft. Steve Gibson even recommended it.

One of the system's main jobs is 'guinea pig'.  It's a test bed for patches, etc, and how they'll interact with our ridiculously fragile POS software.

Just out of curiosity, which ridiculously fragile POS software are you using? We're switching over from our... "handcrafted" POS this year, to a Microsoft one.

Retail-1 by Gemmar Systems International.  It's pretty solid overall operations wise; 'ridiculously fragile' refers more to the things that do break it tend to be ridiculous (like a MS patch fixing Arabic fonts, which aren't even supported by the POS software). 

GWX Control panel worked like a charm on the test system even late in the game. I'll hold it in reserve if my original registry block finally gets beaten.

• 3 weeks later...