And Lo, my Windows 10 upgrade reminder popped up today.

Enforcer84

• 2 weeks later...

My fears were realized - I woke up this morning to face a blue screen - Congratulations on upgrading to Windows 10! Er,  I never actually chose to upgrade?!

I will say my desktop seems to actually be running smoother now.  I've been playing Darkest Dungeon and the glitches/errors seem to have cleared up.

yes yes, go play your linux :D

Sound advice for a career in IT - you would not believe the sheer amount of jobs I've not been able to get by only having theoretical Linux knowledge (messing with an emulator doesn't count apparently).  It's just not used in my current environment (pure Windows) but a *lot* of jobs want to see 3 to 5 years of working experience with it. That's why working for the same corporation for 15 years is like RAID for an IT career: It kills careers dead.

Just in case there are any youngsters out there considering entering the field.

Sound advice for a career in IT - you would not believe the sheer amount of jobs I've not been able to get by only having theoretical Linux knowledge (messing with an emulator doesn't count apparently).  It's just not used in my current environment (pure Windows) but a *lot* of jobs want to see 3 to 5 years of working experience with it. That's why working for the same corporation for 15 years is like RAID for an IT career: It kills careers dead.

Just in case there are any youngsters out there considering entering the field.

I am an oldster 4 years into the field and yeah, I've played with a bit of Linux in school but I'd be lost in a linux environment for a bit. 

"Lucky" for me I've been in windows environments which I'm comfortable with. 

I'm mostly desktop support tho. Not server/network stuff. 

I started desktop support (though my college diploma was for networking and administration practically everyone starts desktop) 20 years ago.  Stick around and you'll move into administration organically, probably. I sometimes long for the days when I was slapping systems together in the back room of a Staples.

Even those jobs get lost to you over time - "20 years experience as a system administrator? And he's applying for a desktop support job why? No, he'll be here a month and then leave. *toss*"

I started desktop support (though my college diploma was for networking and administration practically everyone starts desktop) 20 years ago.  Stick around and you'll move into administration organically, probably. I sometimes long for the days when I was slapping systems together in the back room of a Staples.

Even those jobs get lost to you over time - "20 years experience as a system administrator? And he's applying for a desktop support job why? No, he'll be here a month and then leave. *toss*"

Yeah, I'm definitely more a soldier than a general. My previous careers have shown me that. Hopefully I can remain relevant long enough to make it to retirement. 

Microsoft is getting really sneaky and forceful now.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3070460/windows-pcs/microsoft-makes-final-aggressive-windows-10-upgrade-push.html

The X in the corner to close the dialog suddenly means "Sure! Install it, please!"

windows-10-and-the-x-100661228-large.idg

It just needs the friendly face of Clippy to reassure everyone. ("It looks like you're upgrading your computer.")

Ironically enough my wife's laptop, which I actually want to upgrade to 10 because her 8 installation drives her nuts, is still on the stage where it's waiting to download 10 ("You'll be contacted when it's ready!") from back when you had to enter your email to download it.

I'll probably sweep the 10 partial installation clean at some point and see if I can convince Windows update to push it down.  Just classic Microsoft that it's been sent to everyone except someone who requested it.

Microsoft is getting really sneaky and forceful now.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3070460/windows-pcs/microsoft-makes-final-aggressive-windows-10-upgrade-push.html

The X in the corner to close the dialog suddenly means "Sure! Install it, please!"

windows-10-and-the-x-100661228-large.idg

Crap like this is exactly why I disabled updates. Megalosoft can take their updates and shove them where the sun don't shine.

• 2 weeks later...

For the most part, I've been pretty happy with Win 10. Now, though, the makeup is peeling off and there are definite cracks beneath the surface. I've run into a couple problems and when I look for solutions online the general response is, "yeah, it does that. It sucks. They won't fix." This is not good.

Most of my Win10 woes revolve around video cards and related issues.

Some of the laptops I've had to back the Intel Management Engine back down to 9.5 to get the machine to come out of sleep properly.

I feel like the guy I told "don't have six monitors" got what he deserved though (we said we aren't supporting that, you can figure it out on your own).

An older model video card flat out didn't work at all with Win10, so we replaced it and trashed the old one.

Lenovo model machines seem to hate Win10, a lot. At least, the older models we have in the building do. No one of them has taken the upgrade well.

Which is better than a few Dell Latitude laptop models have taken it: which is to say they don't. They don't even pretend. They just die.

I can anecdotally confirm similar results with upgrading Dell and Lenovo laptops as well as the intel engine / sleep mode issue.  

Desktops have been ok, however - so far.  

Still, since our merchandising software company doesn't support 10 yet (and it took them 3 years to support 7 when it first came out) I have plenty of excuses to not update - though the merchandising software is running properly on the Windows 10 systems as is.  Bureaucrats.