And Lo, my Windows 10 upgrade reminder popped up today.

Enforcer84

7 - 10 is probably better than 7/xp.  I gave up even trying to make 7 and XP communicate on a regular basis - you have two xp cash registers and one fries? You're getting two 7s.  Better that way.

Haven't ever had a problem with 7 or XP connecting to our servers, though.  Just each other.

We've had OK luck with 7/XP environments, though without NetBIOS, tricking the Firewall on the 7 Side, and a Win7 registry fix one of our guys cooked up has gotten them to play nice most of the time. We look forward to the day XP disappears completely.

At least nothing runs 8.1

You know, I used ME for years as my main gaming OS back in the day and didn't notice any more BSOD or hard locks than 98 or 98 SE.  Guess I got lucky.

(Never supported ME in the office, though - volume license was for WIndows 2000.  Also only had 3 Vista machines in the entire company in the course of Vista's life: most users went from XP to 7. And a few went from 2000 to 7.)

Most of my Win10 woes revolve around video cards and related issues.

Some of the laptops I've had to back the Intel Management Engine back down to 9.5 to get the machine to come out of sleep properly.

I feel like the guy I told "don't have six monitors" got what he deserved though (we said we aren't supporting that, you can figure it out on your own).

An older model video card flat out didn't work at all with Win10, so we replaced it and trashed the old one.

Lenovo model machines seem to hate Win10, a lot. At least, the older models we have in the building do. No one of them has taken the upgrade well.

Which is better than a few Dell Latitude laptop models have taken it: which is to say they don't. They don't even pretend. They just die.

I have a consumer model (non-vPro) Dell Inspiron ultrabook which took the upgrade with no issues--but it originally came with Windows 8 Home, and would not run 7 or below. Your Latitudes might need to have their bios upgraded, especially if you're having problems with the Intel Management Engine.

Windows 10 is good, my issue has been more with Lenovo... put in a new drive, but you can't actually create a new instance of the recovery software on a new drive.  Arrgh.

Overall 10 has been good except for a few annoying things.  Doing a clean install of 10 was mostly a big issue after the fact because of my laptop -_-

I have a consumer model (non-vPro) Dell Inspiron ultrabook which took the upgrade with no issues--but it originally came with Windows 8 Home, and would not run 7 or below. Your Latitudes might need to have their bios upgraded, especially if you're having problems with the Intel Management Engine.

They're 5 to 6 year old Latitudes, we tried every trick in the book. Win10 is either unusable, or refuses to recognize even the simplest drivers.

We weren't/aren't going to put any more resources into older laptops, so it's a moot point; but the older Latitudes just simply do not run Win10 in our experience.

I do have a newer latitude that seems to operate OK on it, bit slow, but nothing overly unbearable (at least, from my POV. Some of the users get down right pissed if a web page takes longer than 10 seconds to load).

We've been hit by ransomware three times.  Thankfully it hasn't jumped through shares yet - just hit everything locally.  Even that is terrible enough.  If there's a greater threat lurking somewhere in the deep I don't even want to know about it - ransomware has proven more disruptive than any other type of malware I've ever dealt with.

The free upgrade is due to end on July 29, one year after Windows 10's initial release. When it goes, so too will accidental and unwanted upgrades. Nonetheless, this payout is hard to interpret as anything other than an invitation for other disgruntled Windows 10 recipients to take legal action against Microsoft. There have been rumblings of a class-action suit against the company for almost as long as the upgrade offer has been available; this court victory could provide the impetus to make that actually happen.

We can hope.

I'm fairly certain that the hardware retailer we use will keep using image disks which have the first half of Windows 10 patched in (the click here to upgrade, but we're not too bossy yet stage).  I expect to have to continue disabling GWX in the registry for years to come.