Your Character's Costume?

GoldenAge

• 3 weeks later...

Robo-bushi gets away with being buck nekkid, like most robots :)  Plus he's armoured.

Dwarfstar shrinks but doesn't change mass... he gets very dense very quickly, and since the costume does as well, it's effectively indestructable, I guess. (Dwarfy was designed in good old 3rd ed, when Density Increase gave you resistant defense, too. Annoyed me having to buy that separate and add it in 4th)

Captain Third goes to the third best tailor in the world, and being the third richest man in Jefferson City can afford to.

"Saint Barbara" has three costumes that she wears depending on the weather.  Common to all of them are her thick soled aerobic workout style boots. her anti-flash goggles or sunglasses and her "utility belt" of pouches  for small items (money, I D card, a notebook and pen etc).  The three costumes are  1  A royal blue gymnast style leotard with multi coloured representations of skyrocket bursts all over it, 2. A two piece aerobic workout suit coloured as per costume 1 (for summer), 3 A pair of tracksuit pants and a sloppy joe style loose top (colours as per the other two costumes, for winter).

Let me guess... but only a third of his costume is indestructible?

There are limits  to the motif. I'm afraid only a third of all gimmicks will work out that way :)

That's Cap's miniature in my profile picture, by the way. Orange spandex top with three ringed gold cuffs and a yellow "3" on the chest, edged in black to make it pop. Orange pants tucked into black buccaneer boots and black belt with square gold buckle. Yellow cape with the trailing edge cut in a zigzag so there are three parts (this is something you could actually do in City o Heroes!). Black domino mask, bronze red hair cut in a flat-top.

But you've engaged me now, so I must continue with the rant...

Thurston Thirgoood the Third, third richest man in Jefferson City was an Olympic bronze medalist in Triple Jump and Triathlon (and former US Army Captain, 3rd Infantry Division, 3rd Brigade, 3rd Battallion, Company C. Captain is of course pay grade O3...) but disaster struck when his mutant powers to control Newton's 3rd Law manifested and he was barred from competition. Following depression and a major breakdown he decided to rebuild his life fighting crime, his third career after the Army and Sport. The trauma has left him a little unhinged and he habitually speaks in the third person.

Operating from his secret HQ, the Third Estate, located on 3rd Avenue and 33rd Street, and leading a loose collection of like minded allies (the Third Party), Cap has reduced Jefferson City crime by at least a third. His crime computer is built from third party components, and naturally runs Linux.

Quote: "Third time's the charm!"

The powers revolve around Newton's Third Law, the one about actions having an equal an opposite reaction. But not for Captain Third, Master of Action! Basically he ends up as a Force energy projector who gets around by leaping. I still haven't gotten around to doing his Champions build (his original version was City of Heroes, though there is a quite nice DCUO version of him and Captain Thirde in Pirates of the Burning Sea) but I'm thinking some absorption would work well.

• 6 years later...
Just now, DShomshak said:

"Unstable Molecules" are a Special Effect for powers such as Instant Change, not a thing that needs a write-up in its own right.

I disagree a bit, Dean. It's more than Instant Change, as it primarily protects a hero from destroying their costume with their own powers.

2 hours ago, Sketchpad said:

Sorry for the thread necromancy... Has anyone ever statted out Unstable Molecules? Like what kind of build would costumes created with it have?

You can go longhand:

Shape shift, regeneration, maybe some personal defense that doesn't help the guy in the costume--

Or you could claim "instant change", only into one outfit-  _this_ outfit, and handwave the altered shaoes of stretchy people and morphy people.

Or you can do what I do and declare it sfx of  havibg a super suit, available if you want it.

57 minutes ago, Sketchpad said:

I disagree a bit, Dean. It's more than Instant Change, as it primarily protects a hero from destroying their costume with their own powers.

What Hero campaign starts with the universal expectation that costumes are vulnerable to destruction, no matter the source?  And if that is the expected norm, why isn't everyone at similar risk of sudden exposure from enemy attacks, environmental stuff, etc.?  Further, if you want a bunch of naked supers at the end of many fights why would you then include "unstable molecules" that make people who buy it immune to the whole problem, and how much it need to cost to let a player skip something that you've gone out of your way to work into your game?  This feels like  strange thing to lampshade in the first place, and even stranger if people without magic costumes aren't also susceptible to involuntary nakedness when the exhibitionist flamethrower guy hits them with a fire blast.

In most comic-trope-using settings this is an SFX, and most likely a near-universal one.  You could still have people who explicitly don't have invulnerable costumes or censor boxing when they wind up naked, but that seems like something you'd do because solely for the roleplaying possibilities.  Or maybe because you bought a bunch of "The More Skin The Better" skill levels or PD/ED that gradually activate when enemy attacks damage your costume...kind of a Mirror Universe version of Adam Warren's Empowered, whose whole schtick is a comedically fragile supersuit and powers that (supposedly) get weaker as it gets more and more shredded.  But she's the only one in the setting with that problem, with everyone else's outfits winding up with nothing worse than artistic tears and tattering.

I get that this is probably about a Johnny Storm type, but the whole unstable molecules thing came about to lampshade the fact that 75% of the Fantastic Four don't work well unless they're naked (which the CCA would object to) or their costumes are made of Comic Science.  That's just an SFX unless the stuff gives you other bennies that reproduce a power or skill levels or whatever.

I remember my pet mutant character Sunburn (when I still played). Sunburn was a teenage mutant who absorbs and projects solar energy. One of his powers was converting his body into sunlight and moving it around at the speed of light (special effect of Teleportation). Early in his career since he couldn't afford a costume of unstable molecules (the camping was set in the Marvel Universe), each time he teleported his clothing was left behind.

His nickname was "The Milwaukee Flash", even when he was given ab unstable molecules costume by his team MetaGuard.

Martin Power had an ongoing schlep with his clothes getting wrecked.  He was one of a very few supers in our world who _did_ the hero thing but did _not_ do the super-suit (the usual gripe being because he was hard to fit, but realistically, having a costume didn't jibe with his 'reluctant hero' shtick (I am not an ass; as a player, I understood it was _my_ job to find a justification to motivate him; the griping and complaining in the early parts of the adventure where a part of who he was.  Once he was resigned to the fact that it wasn't going to be over quickly, he was full-on team player.

Typically, he wore work pants or jeans, work boots, a button down shirt, and a leather field jacket or gentleman's coat.  There was a running bit about his clothes getting wrecked, the expense of tailoring to fit him, the wait time, etc.

One of his teammates (a player with who I got along particularly well) would often poke fun at him:

"Who's your tailor?  Doc Savage?  James Kirk?  The freakin' _Hulk_?!"

And yes, with one exception (using himself to shield the citizens of an island community from a suitcase nuke), he never ended up naked-  kind of like how the Hulk and Banner have the same sizes hips, butt, upper thighs, and marital tackle.... Somehow....

Same teammate:

Be safer just to spray tan, don't you think?  More even coverage, too....

Edited by Duke Bushido

34 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

"Who's your tailor?  Doc Savage?  James Kirk?  The freakin' _Hulk_?!"

There's an old issue of Power Man & Iron Fist that canonically established that Luke (who also has trouble keeping his shirt intact) buys his yellow silk shirts a dozen at a time from the same NYC tailor that Bruce Banner gets his pants from.  Presumably the fabric has a whole lot lot of give.  :)

There's also dialog in one of those Ultimates books where a newscaster is describing a very naked Hulk going on a rampage and pausing to kill some 500-pound bystander and steal his pants before continuing.  My head canon insists that gamma radiation acts just like steroid abuse and shrivels one's tools like salted slugs, making the Green Goliath a bit shy about public exposure.

On 1/2/2024 at 6:30 PM, Rich McGee said:

What Hero campaign starts with the universal expectation that costumes are vulnerable to destruction, no matter the source?

Quite a few actually. Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, Captain America... the list goes on. Heck, in the current Gang War storyline at Marvel, Spidey's costume is in ROUGH shape. Costumes get damaged all the time, and have been that way for decades. Heck, in Daredevil Fall from Grace, Matt was wearing rags practically. 

Not one of those examples winds up that way in the majority of their stories over their careers.  Even Spidey only gets really torn up when the writers want to remind us he sews his own or make keeping his secret ID with a torn mask a plot point.  The rest of the time it's almost always just artsy rips or no damage at all.    Being torn and tattered to emphasize the hero's having a rough time is a long way from regularly winding up starkers, either from your own powers or the rest of the universe.  Even Empowered doesn't go past PG cheesecake normally, and her big schtick is a fragile costume.

And let's be honest, a big part of why supersuits are usually so durable is that drawing a damaged suit makes it much, much harder to stay on model.  Just go look at some of the godawful work that was all over the Nineties when artists decided to be more "gritty and realistic" for a while.  Wandering bloodstains, whole ripped off sleeves going from left arm to right arm between panels, bullet-riddled capes that magically heal over time (and as the submission deadline draws near), it's all pretty hilarious.

On 1/5/2024 at 1:18 PM, Rich McGee said:

Not one of those examples winds up that way in the majority of their stories over their careers.  Even Spidey only gets really torn up when the writers want to remind us he sews his own or make keeping his secret ID with a torn mask a plot point.  The rest of the time it's almost always just artsy rips or no damage at all.    Being torn and tattered to emphasize the hero's having a rough time is a long way from regularly winding up starkers, either from your own powers or the rest of the universe.  Even Empowered doesn't go past PG cheesecake normally, and her big schtick is a fragile costume.

And let's be honest, a big part of why supersuits are usually so durable is that drawing a damaged suit makes it much, much harder to stay on model.  Just go look at some of the godawful work that was all over the Nineties when artists decided to be more "gritty and realistic" for a while.  Wandering bloodstains, whole ripped off sleeves going from left arm to right arm between panels, bullet-riddled capes that magically heal over time (and as the submission deadline draws near), it's all pretty hilarious.

I've got to respectfully disagree with you here, Rich. It seems every time I read a Batman or Spider-Man comic lately, their costumes are taking a beating. Seeing the armor under the Bat-costume. And don't even get me started on Daredevil. Heck, even Superman, who was once described as having a kind of protective field that protects him and his costume, has had his costume beat up. 

But rather than beat this dead horse, I've said all I care to about this. Thanks for the suggestions, folks. 

In Meta-Earth, we make armor from Bronsonite (3rPD/3rED), Collapsium (18rPD/18rED), Durium (15rPD/15rED), Flexalloy (10rPD/10rED), Orichalcum (12rPD/12rED), Questite (10rPD/10rED and it is comprised of dizzy molecules and fibers of raw confusion. It adapts to a meta-human’s power and abilities), Talosium (It has 20rPD/20rED and tends to hum Ronnie James Dio tunes when it thinks you aren’t listening.), Turgenevite (8rPD/8rED), Onyxium (9rPD/12rED and is totally blacker than black, providing Stealth levels in the right circumstances), and Multifarian Memory Metal (15rPD/15rED and is totally weird, often phoning up at night to ask if you're thinking of it). There are also generic materials that cover values in between these. 

And... none of the stuff never gets torn up in any meaningful way. I'm too 1970s to scratch the paint. 

Plain and simple:

Having a costume (for supers) is free.  The appearance of that costume is the single SFX of "has costume."  If you don't want it to get ripped or dirty or whatever, then it doesn't have to unless it adds something to the story and us easily repaired.

If you want your costume to regularly go into the wash with your frag grenades,  then it will.

Charging for an indestructible costume that has _zero value_ beyond not being naked is a jackass move.

1 hour ago, Duke Bushido said:

Charging for an indestructible costume that has _zero value_ beyond not being naked is a jackass move.

Wow. Ask a simple build question, and get this? Thanks, folks. Man, since everyone knows what kind of campaign I'm running, I look forward to future comments before I even begin talking about them. I didn't realize using the system in different ways would invoke the Fun Police. 

14 minutes ago, Sketchpad said:

Wow. Ask a simple build question, and get this? Thanks, folks. Man, since everyone knows what kind of campaign I'm running, I look forward to future comments before I even begin talking about them. I didn't realize using the system in different ways would invoke the Fun Police. 

Nobody suspects the Fun Police. Nobody. Not even the workers of Club Dread. Or Broken Lizard.