2017-18 NFL Thread

Pariah

7 hours ago, Old Man said:

There's another QB on the market, used to play for the 49ers.

Although this isn't who you're talking about, it's not unlikely that Alex Smith will be available soon. The fact that the Chefs want to cut Smith and start Mahomes next season is perhaps the NFL's worst-kept secret.

Would he be a reasonable option for Denver?  Well, he knows the teams in the division as well as any of the other options, probably better. And he'd probably be pretty motivated in those two games against his every year. How much would he cost, and how much has he got left in the tank? Those are the big questions.

I wondered about that, but couldn't hear the TV since I saw that part of the game at a Chili's.

Conversely, in the game immediately prior to that one, Tyrod Taylor was concussed and removed approximately three plays prior to the game-ending pick that was thrown by his backup.

It occurred to me that there will be a tactic evolve quickly now, where there will be designated "torpedos" who intentionally do things that cause the mandatory concussion protocol to happen, and there will have to be a rule imposed that the player whose contact initiated concussion protocol must stay off the field for at least as long as the ostensibly concussed player.

If I'm sounding like an avatar of Darth Hoodie, ... Let the hate flow through you.

As I understand it, several camera angles were reviewed and everyone on the Panther sideline is yelling at Cam to go down because that would give Derek Anderson time to warm up, it is a typical tactic when the QB is hurt and aware of the situation, as Cam seemed to be, the problem is that since he did go down (on his own volition) then according to the letter of the law he should go back to the locker room.  IMO, in this instance, the situation is not as egregious as it would seem to be.

6 hours ago, Cancer said:

It occurred to me that there will be a tactic evolve quickly now, where there will be designated "torpedos" who intentionally do things that cause the mandatory concussion protocol to happen, and there will have to be a rule imposed that the player whose contact initiated concussion protocol must stay off the field for at least as long as the ostensibly concussed player.

If I'm sounding like an avatar of Darth Hoodie, ... Let the hate flow through you.

That won't help if the "torpedo" is an easily replaceable cog in the defense who comes in mainly for specifically those situations. Hockey actually has something similar -- the guy whose main function on the team is to goad your opponent's best player to drop the gloves or do something equally self-destructive. In a hockey fight, both players get five minutes in the penalty box, and if there is a significant talent gap between the two players it really helps your team to start a fight (if you are the inferior player).

Headhunting like that in football is so dangerous that it could ruin the careers and even the lives of quarterbacks and receivers across the league.

The difference, of course, is that fighting in hockey is highly structured and regulated, with many written and unwritten rules that are universally understood and strictly enforced.

Nothing like that exists in the NFL.

11 hours ago, Badger said:

Basketball also had their enforcers.  Though, they've pretty much died off since the 90s.  (the ABA in the 1970s actually seemed to thrive off them)

The late Maurice Lucas is much beloved in Portland. He was an enforcer who also rebounded and scored at a high level. And he played smart. He rarely did things that got him tossed. When he was paired with Bill Walton in the period between 1976 and 1978, they were one of the best frontcourts in the history of the game -- Lucas' willingness and ability to do the muckup work and get his nose bloody enabled Walton to be the premier defender, scorer, and distributor that made him such a devastating force in his early career. Maurice Lucas went a long way towards defining the role of the power forward in the modern NBA.

Interesting assertions:

Quality offensive linemen are a dying breed. From the high school level to Alabama, prospects are choosing to be defensive tackles, defensive ends, and huge tight ends rather than being someone who protects the quarterback and opens lanes for the running backs with little notable credit for the glory. I think eventually this will swing back because linemen are also being overpaid due to them being nearly as hard to find as a franchise quarterback, but for now, college just isn’t producing many good line prospects.

The college game and professional game are too different, especially for blocking purposes.  [Tom Cable, OL coach with the Seahawks, said in May 2015, and repeated his sentiment on radio here recently:] "I’m not wanting to offend anybody, but college football, offensively, has gotten to be really, really bad fundamentally."  And, he does not approve of the now-prevalent-in-college spread offenses: “Unfortunately, I think we’re doing a huge disservice to offensive football players, other than a receiver, that come out of these spread systems.” and going on to list problems for most every position, including: “The blockers aren’t as good ...” A spread offensive lineman doesn’t have to finish blocks or line up in a three-point stance.

If 2018 ends up with three good tackle prospects (which is a fair estimate of any year based on [arguments made earlier], and may be on the high side), you can expect they’ll all be gone in the top 15, if not the top 10.

If you’re not picking that high, you’re a little screwed.

11 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

The late Maurice Lucas is much beloved in Portland. He was an enforcer who also rebounded and scored at a high level. And he played smart. He rarely did things that got him tossed. When he was paired with Bill Walton in the period between 1976 and 1978, they were one of the best frontcourts in the history of the game -- Lucas' willingness and ability to do the muckup work and get his nose bloody enabled Walton to be the premier defender, scorer, and distributor that made him such a devastating force in his early career. Maurice Lucas went a long way towards defining the role of the power forward in the modern NBA.

Well, he was the first one I thought of, for what it is worth.  Jim Loscutoff also who was the designated protector for Bill Russell and Bob Cousy.