A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Had a gastroscopy perpetrated upon me Monday last. Turns out, I have a helicobacter pylorus infection. Am now on two powerful antibiotics to get rid of it. Tummy is staging an uprising, rallying from under the diaphragm and downwards. Last doses of the meds tomorrow. "Suck it up," said the doc.

Aargh.

Whilst driving today, I came to one of those intersections where your road goes straight, but there's a 90 degree intersection to one side.  Like a sideways T or something.

The branching road went over a bridge.

The branching road was named "Illusion Street."

So ... successful saving throw on my part?

(I am not making this up.)

After taking a year off last year this weekend has been Glastonbury Festival weekend.

The Killers played last night on the main stage and The Cure are currently playing on the main stage. A British Grime artist called Stormzy played Friday night to some acclaim.

Kylie Minogue played the Legends tea time spot today which was a triumph for her as she had to pull out of playing the festival over a decade ago due to Cancer diagnosis. So at 51 she makes her first appearance. A lot of the audience will not have known a time without her in the charts. Over 30 years now.

Miley Cyrus was over as well playing the stages. She was dressed non-provocatively. She had her dad with her and gone is the mullet of yesteryear. Moustache, full beard, cowboy hat and black tassled jacket going for a cool look and it payed off. Marc Ronson was also with her and she covered Back in Black. She also did Party in the USA.

Janet Jackson and Neneh Cherry also played and the BBC are hosting their sets for a month on the BBC website 

On July 4, 1986, I was in Boston.  I was done with school: I had defended my PhD thesis at the end of May, made the required changes, got the committee signatures, and submitted the final draft to the grad school; I had a good job lined up that started in late August, and in a week I would be the token grad student at the observatory for the annual big shot Board of Visitors shindig, on what completely coincidentally would be my 30th birthday.  I was not in financial distress -- my savings would last me until the first paycheck at the end of September, when for the first time in my life I would draw full-time pay (and $26,000 a year was a nice income in 1986).  I had a month and a half to do pretty much as I wished, and nipping up to Boston to see my ex-roommate was among the things I could afford to do.

It was a glorious July day.  We took the T downtown in the morning, walked the Freedom Trail, continued on to Boston Harbor where as we arrived they were just tying up Old Ironsides after her annual push around the harbor.  We walked back downtown and continued on to Fenway Park, getting sausages with grilled peppers and onions from a street vendor outside the stadium before taking our seats.  The recently retired Carl Yastrzemski was the special pre-game feted guest, and then the home team defeated my Seattle squad.  All told, you really can't imagine a better Independence Day.

Traditionally the Boston Pops played a concert (followed by fireworks) on the bank of the Charles on the night of the 4th, but that year the Pops were in New York on the 4th playing at the reopening and rededication of the Statue of Liberty.  We did go to the "make-up" concert & fireworks the next evening.

What was the best time of your life? What was the worst time of your life? I can't answer either question. While I remember good times and bad, it seems they all blend into some murky hodgepodge of memory. Maybe I'm starting to let things go. Maybe I've been in a rut for too long. I can't answer those questions either.