A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Can't speak to McAfee, but I've used Avast for well over a decade. The free version has been effective, reliable and never caused me any significant problems -- I'd pay for it if I had to. Avast also has a number of options for additional features which aren't expensive for a subscription. Avast Cleanup Premium has resolved several of my computer headaches over the years.

On 12/5/2019 at 10:58 PM, tkdguy said:

Trying to decide whether to get McAfee or Avast (the free version). Any recommendations?

Uninstalling McAfee is usually one of the first things I do when get a new computer. There are other options that don't eat up all your system resources .

3 hours ago, Pariah said:

Uninstalling McAfee is usually one of the first things I do when get a new computer. There are other options that don't eat up all your system resources .

Thanks, guys. I decided to go with the free version of Avast. Their browser was also installed, but I got rid of that. 

Been waiting for notification regarding delivery of two items that my mother ordered one from Amazon and one from a shopping service called QVC. The latter was ordered first. We have heard nothing since. An Amazon order from my account went out the same time the one from my mother's. I got notified that my order would be split in two and would be delivered (which it has been) but nothing came up on my mother's orders except the confirmation of the order. Until today when the Amazon order was confirmed dispatched and delivered and we also get a notification that the QVC one is due tomorrow. Talk about a watched pot never coming to boil.

• 2 weeks later...

As we approach the sphincter end of 2019, a personal recap:

- Came out on the losing end of office politics in February, kicking off a frantic search to find other employment before either losing my job entirely or being asked to do something expressly illegal.  After an extraordinarily stressful five months, finally landed with a new company with better comp, better benefits, and better culture.  And I get to work form home.  Old job still calls me asking for help.  Schadenfreude!

- A frightening incident with the old car uncovered a suspension problem that should have killed me a long time ago.  Finally bit the bullet and acquired a newish vehicle, a Ram pickup with atrocious gas mileage and two years of warranty left.  It's nice, but I now have another car to maintain and a car-payment-sized hole in my monthly budget.  I'm going to have to take a hatchet to my monthly expenses.  The HBO subscription is at the top of the list.

- Speaking of HBO, many stories ended this year, most prominently Game of Thrones.  I began that story in 1997.  It took 22 years to find out how it ended.  Likewise, I was finally able to finish the Star Wars trilogy trilogy, which despite its glaring imperfections ended on a higher note than GoT did.  Now I no longer have to feel obligated to follow the Wars franchise.  And Endgame!  An incredible conclusion to what had to be the biggest cliffhanger in recent sf history.  Eighties me still can't quite believe that throughout the teenies we have been treated to near-perfect superhero films that routinely set insane box office records.  Endgame made me cry.  Twice.

- Actually made some progress on the tsundoku pile.  Finally finished The Scar, by Mieville, and the First Law trilogy by Abercrombie.  Also read The Grace of Kings by Liu.  Started on Wise Man's Fear by Rothfuss, like three years after finishing Name of the Wind.  The First Law trilogy was too good--I couldn't put it down and missed some deadlines as a result.

- Switched doctors.  The new, non-senile doctor (who is young enough to be my daughter) ordered some blood work for her new patient.  Lab results inspired me to drop abdominal weight fast.  Ketogenic diets suck for a bunch of reasons, but they work, and after dropping 1.5 stone since October, this is the lightest I've been this century.

- 2019 will go down as the year that climate change became painfully obvious to anyone who isn't being totally disingenuous about the subject.  Dorian eradicated the Bahamas, two years after Maria eradicated Puerto Rico.  Australia is being incinerated again in what has become an annual tradition.  The reefs are dying, or dead.  Long feared melting feedback loops in Greenland and the Arctic are well underway.  The change in public consciousness means that overdue policy changes may be in the offing, but that's far from certain and it might be too little too late.  Earth is on its way to a near-certain 3º global average temp rise in our lifetimes.

- Working against us is a political climate that has been thoroughly captured by corporate interests and outright corruption.  2019 saw some big wins in the fight for sanity in government, but also some big losses.  Hope is not lost, but it's not out of the question that elections themselves have been compromised.  2020 is a crucial election year for all life on earth, and that's not an exaggeration.  Be prepared to fight, guys.

- Kids are still great, house is still a hopeless mess, NGD folks are deranged but awesome.  Expecting more of the same in 2020.