A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

While out fishing at a reservoir in Idaho last week, we had a beaver do an alarm slap in the water about 15 feet from my wife, who was helping my daughter cast her line at the time. Someone with us, who'd witnessed such a thing before, told us what it was (it wasn't for half an hour that we saw the beaver). Startled the bejeezus out of us. I wouldn't have thought a creature that size could make that much noise without fully breaching the surface whale-style, and I'm pretty sure that didn't happen. I'd have to chuck a sixty-pound rock into the lake to make that much noise.

There is joy to be found in watching the unplanned collision between differing levels of reality. This is, I suppose, the point behind the best haiku, but it can happen elsewhere too.

E.g., doing the mouse-over at the appropriate place on these boards and seeing the words "Onyxclaw is a splendid one to behond"

I can't stand deja vu. Every time it happens I sit there and wonder if it's just one of those things, or if there's something terribly important to do that I've forgotten about. It's very confusing and frustrating.

I took a benadryl about an hour ago, and it's hitting me in the head like Tyson hit Robin Givens.

Apparently there was a mosquito party, everyone invited, on the backs of my legs on Sunday. Didn't realize I'd need mosquito repellant to hang my laundry. Will have to try to remember that next time.

It didn't even start itching until yesterday afternoon. But now that it does itch, rrrrrrgh. Makes me want to dunk myself in a bathtub full of topical benadryl.

I work with the retarded. Literally, there is a home for developmentally disabled people right down the road and we serve as their bank. Here's the rub. They have "Advocates" who work with them. These people I would not trust do do their own banking, let alone helping someone who can't help themselves...

This is a nice image of ice in a :mars: Martian crater, with full attribution.

It's the attribution that makes me scratch my head a bit. I know what "FU Berlin" is (I've been there, long long ago), though Freie Universitat isn't what pops into the head of most folks when they see that phrase. And with the name like "G. Neukum" (which I expect most USer's would pronounce as "Nuke 'em", and find the similary to Duke Nukem suggestive....), the name + affiliation borders on surrealistic pseudonymity.