A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

Have you ever been so bored, you're actually angry about it?

My job for today is to enter 4 sets of 14-digit codes into a database. I can't just type in these codes, though; no, there's a list that pops up and fills it in as I type. However, if I type a second too slowly, it resets the field, and sends me to someplace ELSE on the list. Also, these numbers are in no particular order, so I can't even just type the first part then scroll to the number I need.

Grrrrr.

It's getting frustrating really quickly, not in the least because I can't even do this from my own work computer.

And the person's computer I needed to work from had a magnet stuck to the CPU.

Yes, folks, you heard me right. A magnet. Two of 'em, actually. Right next to the hard drive. :stupid:

"we Interrupt This Program With A Special Bulletin. America Is Now Under Martial Law. All Constitutional Rights Have Been Suspended. Stay In Your Homes, Do Not Attempt To Contact Loved Ones, Insurance Agents Or Attorneys. Shut Up! Do Not Attempt To Think Or Depression May Occur. Stay In Your Homes, Curfew Is At 7 Pm Sharp After Work. Anyone Caught Outside The Gates Of Their Subdivision Sector After Dark Will Be Shot! Remain Calm, Do Not Panic. Your Neighborhood Watch Officer Will Be By To Collect Urine Samples In The Morning. Anyone Caught Interfering With The Collection Of Urine Samples Will Be Shot! Stay In Your Home, Remain Calm. The Number One Enemy Of Progress Is Questions. National Security Is More Important Than Individual Will. All Sports Broadcast Will Proceed As Normal. No More Than Two People May Gather Anywhere Without Permission! Use Only The Drugs Prescribed By Your Boss Or Supervisor. Shut Up, Be Happy! Obey All Orders Without Question. The Comforts You Demanded Are Now Mandatory. Be Happy. At Last Everything Is Done For You." (jello Biafra)

Thing clomps around on his Size 18 boulders and feels like an outcast until he meets a blind woman named Alicia (Kerry Washington) who loves him, in part because she can't see him. But the Thing looks like Don Rickles crossed with Mt. Rushmore; he has a body that feels like a driveway and a face with crevices you could hide a toothbrush in. Alicia tenderly feels his face with her fingers, like blind people often do while falling in love in the movies, and I guess she likes what she feels. Maybe she's extrapolating.

Extrapolating. *snicker. snort. chortle. suppress giggling*

Thank the good lord above the unwelcome houseguests of my housemates are gone. They are nice people, but seriously, Ben Franklin wasn't kidding, 3 days, tops. That, and while it is nice to teach your child to be loving, forcing people who are little more than strangers to accept a hug and kiss from said child rankles me. Not everyone has the same level of personal space.

Suzanne Vega made surprisingly good background music while writing up Beowulf and Grendel for DH.

I wonder if I should try adding more material to my War of the Worlds article? I could always use it as campaign material.

Jenn really liked the Grand Canyon. There was a lightning started fire on the other side of Bright Angel that was filling the area with much smoke. Kinda looked like fog and visibility was down to 50 miles. It was a good day trip.

The Catholic Church just does get it.

"Did you ever see the faces of the children/They get so excited." -- Pete Townshend

Tomorrow many people will be banging on the doors of bookstores grabbing the Harry Potter book. Just as Christmas is a magical day, with all that waiting and expectation, of Chrissie presents so to I believe that tomorrow is a magical day for readers of Harry Potter.

The Church objects to the sorcery and magic within that book. Shouldn't someone remind them that Catholic author Tolkien's book contained magic in it as well? Benedict XVI: "It is good, that you enlighten people about Harry Potter, because those are subtle seductions, which act unnoticed and by this deeply distort Christianity in the soul, before it can grow properly". That would be news to CS Lewis who converted to Christianity and wrote a series of popular books which are being sold in Christian bookstores to good Christians.

It is the people who will create far more magic tomorrow than is contained in J.K. Rowling's pen. *shakes head* The Church just doesn't get it.

I want to know that if Harry Potter were written by anyone else but a Westerner, would the Pope still damn the book? To our Pope: does reading the Bhagavadgita, The Koran, the Jewish commentaries on the OT known as the Kabbalah, the Tao Te Ching and other Eastern religious texts corrupt the developing Christian soul? If not then why is the esoteric texts of the West condemed so as blasphemous and not those of the East? "Selective blindness" is the only phrase I can use for this.

What makes us attach ourselves to the NGD?

Too often we find out little community under the duress of another member upset with the status quo. They're trying to make the NGD a better place. Some people applaud their intent, but not thier method. More often than not, I've be neutral about the whole thing.

There are those that I recognize as asshats. I'm surprised with the vehemnce they stand by their opinions and bash the opinions of others. Even after a poster attempts to point out their right to that conflicting opinion. Regardless, I do not become involved. In many ways, I've been detached.

Within recent days, possibly just this week, something changed. I'm not sure what it was. In retrospect, I should have seen it coming. I'd already started a Poetry thread and shared my innermost thoughts via my poetry. Even though, I've allowed that to fall by the wayside, I still drifted off with the 'purging' of the NGD (change in count status), so I thought that meant I could steer clear.

Like the previous paragraph began, I'm letting folks in. I enjoy talking with you all on various subjects. I even attempted to help someone calling out for help. Then, I was lambasted by sticking with my own feelings on a subject. I didn't attack another poster, but was attacked.

What makes people think their opinions are more correct|better than another human being's?

unfortunately what makes people do that..is that they are people.

I understand what you mean, there seems to have been a rash of wars recently on the posting boards, and all of them were the result of posters I had seen in such wars before...it worries me.

I don't want to have to worry about being attacked for haivng a different opinion on something. Afterall it's just an opinion. I can say I think something is crap, but you don't have to prove me wrong.

Here, how about this. I don't tell you that your opinions don't matter, and you don't tell me that? Or I don't tell you that your opinion is stupid, and you stop trying to convince me you're right?

I mean...this goes along the lines of what I think about religion. You have yours, I have mine. We can both tell each other all about it. I'll even welcome the pointing out the flaws on mine. But don't try to get me to convert.

I feel very bad now, not because I have done something wrong or because

I am sick.

I can no longer respect someone whom I greatly respected on these boards not longer than a few days ago...whom some of my friends that I know on the boards also respected. It makes me sick that my friend looked up to him, wanted to be as insiteful as him...

This should not be...

This should not be...

On Wednesday one of the cats in my building that was opening up to people, died. She had come down to me a bit more of a month ago, acting friendly, but obviously sick. She went to our Clinic and they did what they could (she's been in Renal failure for two years) and she came back. For the last few weeks of her life, she would come up to people and get pets. But Wednesday she just wasn't doing well. We gave her some fluids which made her feel better, but she still couldn't move much and had labored breathing, so we made the call to help her cross. She went peacefully.