A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

There's a rather loud domestic argument going on outside my apartment, on the street.

"Everybody knows what a jack*** you are! Everybody KNOWS you've been ****ing that tramp!"

And I'm thinking, "Well, I know NOW."

I shouldn't be so amused, but the alternative is to get mad at them for disturbing my quiet afternoon. And it's kind of funny. So long as it stays a verbal argument it's funny, anyway.

And part of me wants to add a comment referring to the fact that my apartment is right next to a trailer park, but I won't go there.

Oh, wait. Guess I did.

"For my own part, I believe that, if someone wishes to burn a flag, he should be free to do so. In the same way, if Democrat senators want to make speeches comparing the U.S. military to Nazis and the Khmer Rouge, they should be free to do so. It's always useful to know what people really believe."

-Mark Steyn, Chicago Sun-Times, June 26, 2005

Twas a good weekend.

Glastonbury Festival was on despite the thunderstorms that created giant pools on the farm and I saw the White Stripes headline late Friday around 11:00 pm. There were other British bands just breaking through that played over the 3 days and on Sunday Brian Wilson played. Brian was doing old Beach Boy numbers like California Girls and Good Vibrations. And the Sun came out. Quite a sight. Some people were even surfing through the crowd on real surf boards.

Saw Kung Fu Hustle on Saturday which was a laugh. If you like Martial Arts stuff you should like this.

And I bought the new limited edition of Monopoly updated to show new sites. Gone are The Old Kent Road, Pentonville, Mayfair and the stations. Now we have Wembley Stadium, the London Eye, several of the museums and the airports replacing the stations. I think they may have updated the American version as well.

Also got a couple of Sudoku puzzles done for the first time. I sense addiction imminent.

And finally the British public finally bought something other than that pathetic Crazy Frog record. Hallelujah !

Brooklyn is a good man and we have fun together. It is the outsider in me - that loves the underdog that wants to see him rise to the challenge of being in my world. But I don't think you can learn that intellectual/cultural base - you need to be in it from an early age. We are good for eachother. That's all that is required for now.
She's a dear friend, but golly she's even more arrogant than I am.

Yesterday as I drove up to pick up Jenn from the Welcome Center, a couple of her coworkers are near the entrance with one holding a puppy. Someone had just dumped her nearby. Very sweet puppy. Jenn & I took her up to the Clinic to get her checked out. A quick 10 minute test for Parvo and she was taken in. Her name may be "Bonny Blue".

Sadly, she's #24 of dogs left near the sanctuary this month. Not a good place for pets to be outside.

And the pict got edited because Jenn didn't like her image in the shot. ;)

Sometime back in the 1960's on manuvers in Germany, a soldier got himself killed. He got run over by a tank, the tread smashed him right across the midsection. Word is it was nighttime, he was sleeping on the manuver grounds, and the tank driver didn't see him, though how you can sleep through a tank rolling up to you I can't understand; tanks are incredibly noisy. (We have speculated that the soldier was high on something at the time, but however it happened, it's not relevant to the story.)

The person I heard this story from was an ambulance driver. He had to pick up the body and deliver it to the nearest US Army Hospital to be dealt with. So the body was put in a stretcher, belted down with a single strap across the thighs, stretcher put into the ambulance. Away he went with the corpse. It was late, after midnight, but as an Army ambulance driver, it wasn't the first time he had driven with a corpse in the back of his vehicle. Part of the job.

However, when rigor mortis set in, the abdominal muscles that had been smashed exerted a much greater force than the back muscles. As a result of this and being belted down below the hips, the corpse slowly sat up.

Since the road was empty, it was quite a while before the driver glanced into the mirror ... and when he did, the corpse was sitting up, staring directly into his eyes in that mirror.

The driver carefully brought the ambulance to a stop, and ran a quarter-mile down the road.

Eventually he talked himself into returning to the vehicle ("He's dead, I know he's dead."). Peering in from behind, sure enough, the corpse was still there, sitting bolt upright in the stretcher, not moving at all.

The story has it that the driver went in there, first belted the corpse's legs down securely using all available ties, and then leaned on the torso to get the body into a regular supine position, which he belted down very securely.

After which he drove like hell to the hospital, without looking in that mirror again.

Why do cliques form? Do we, as gamers, have cliques? Why do these cliques, in particular, form? Why do you enjoy gaming with some people but despise gaming with others. Why do the others seem so popular with other gamers not in your clique?

How could you speed up PbP/Pbem without losing the crunchy character developement bits and still allow players full control of the combat?

What is the perfect game for me and how do I figure that out without trial and error?

A minor fringe benefit of teaching physics -- specifically, the optics lab courses -- is that you can get your 8- and 10-year-old kids excited by offering to take them to the school and show them the lasers. They are at first disappointed that they aren't the giant death rays of infinite destruction that are all the lasers on the kidivd shows, but playing around with them is still cool, even to the kids.