A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

I guess in many ways I'm a management apologist. I'll have to just admit that, but it should be said I have had many a cynical laugh over management, as well, so I think I'm reasonably objective. I think the degree to which I'm in apologist is related to the fact that I see the dumbass side of most of us and half of management is built around trying to either comply with dumbasses they have to work with or trying to work around the human dumbass condition via rules (which is a flawed concept, however, in certain ways - it's the dumbassery inherent in the system!)

I'm cold chillin', kickin' it old style.

Where's the old homies? Where's the creator, where's the lunatic literatti, where's the rabbi, where's the Roman artillery? And all these newbies!

Damn. Well, I'm old, anyway, a symptom of aging is missing the gone, so good to get accustomed to it.

No, seriously, I'm not in a dark mood at all, I'm rather jovial, one could even say giddy, but at the same time, thoughtful and reflective.

I've heard "Downtown" like 5 times in a row now, too.

All of a sudden, I find myself in the role of Carnival Attraction.

I somehow let myself get drafted into performing a solo set on the Sideshow stage at the SF Exotic Erotic Ball in the VIP area, being fronted by a professional who used to front for The Torture King of the Jim Rose Sideshow

My act?

Not for the faint of heart

Spoilered for Adult Content, potential TMI, and serious wince factor

Ever hear of Mr. Lifto? Another Jim Rose cast member? Used to lift things from his genital piercings?

Well, I do something similar, only lifting with a leather strap around the scrotum instead of piercings.

Details for the morbidly curious.

You were warned.

I'll be led on stage by a pair of lovely assistants leading me with 12 feet of chain.

Highlights will include a 3 pound pumpkin, 7 pound pewter skull, a 12 pound anvil, and at least one lovely assistant leaning her full weight back on the doubled chain. For a finale, I plan on attempting the skull + the anvil + a hunk of I beam, totally about 25 1/2 pounds.

I've done it, but it's right at my theoretical max tolerance level.

The point where it secures becomes tighter (compresses) as the load is increased. It's taken me 8 years of training to get comfortable with doing it on stage

Yeah, it hurts about as much as you'd think.

It's good to be home.

Dad is much stronger now; he's going to be fine.

I used to love travel. Yesterday was one of those days that made me think "I'm never leaving home again."

Bus was an hour late. An hour to get through customs into the US. Second leg of flight was over an hour late.

I lost my Driver's License in Detroit.

Flying anywhere is a complete clusterfunk. Airport security is a mindless joke. Only good point: I feel much better about my job now.

Border crossing between Canada and the US is at a new, horrible low. Re-entering the USA I discovered it is now US policy to photograph and fingerprint every non-American/non-Canadian citizen. And there's a good chance they'll be turned back after that. As the sole American on that bus I was deeply embarrassed. And I was the one hassled. Horrible, horrible experience.

Entering Canada was ultra polite and hassle free this time. That was a pleasant anomaly.

I like my own space. As much as Dad tries to make me feel at home there, it's not. I like my computer. I like my kitchen. I like my space. I just don't like to use other people's things that much.

I came home to two dissolved(!) fish. They couldn't survive the extended stay, unfortunately. The Betta, Frosty, is still strong though.

Not looking forward to work.

Depression hit hard a couple days ago.

I'm glad to be home. I'm glad to have a place to call home.

November's going to be busy: NaNoWriMo, NGD Secret Santas, job search, Renn fest weekend, Thanksgiving, life.

There are several people here I would like to meet in person before I die.

I bruise a lot more easily these days. A decade ago I rarely, if ever, found bruises after a workout. Then I started to find a bruise or two, here and there, if someone kicked me during sparing, or if I hit myself with a weight. Now I find bruises but can't figure out how I got them.

I suppose I should buy some sugar strips and test myself for diabetes. OTOH, it could just be aging.

Today I had managed to clear my schedule to enable me to do a lot of work on the computer for various upcomming games I am supposed to run. I got started at about 11:00 AM and after about 30 minutes... fizzle... the power goes out.

About three months ago we had a pretty violent thunderstorm roll through Oklahoma City. Power was knocked out all over the city. Lightning hit an underground power transformer in my next door neighbors back yard and it blew the power grid for the whole area. Due to the number of scattered outages across the city it took nearly two days before they restored our power. Of course when they fixed it they were in a hurry and just patched things back together with the promice that they'd be back later to finish the repairs. Of course they never did.

Today their jury rigged job shorted out and it took them eight hours to fix a problem that should have never been. Grrr! :mad:

Pretty much shot my plans for the whole day. :thumbdown