A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

The best covers come in two categories: a well done, faithful rendition, and taking the song in a new direction, making it yours. 

The song Catch the Wind by Donovan (1965) is a song about heartbreak of a man who can't be with the one he loves.

Twelve years later, Sammy Hagar covered it on his self-titled second album.

Sammy's version adds guitars and such going to rock ballad, but to me, the biggest change is that, despite lamenting the difficulty of the task ahead, the man in the song refuses to give up, swearing to catch the wind. 

yeah. Not sure why I had to write this, but I did :) 

Tragedy on Page 4: First problem, student has correct answer, crosses it all out & writes in mostly wrong one. Second problem: student gets good start then overthinks it & ends up lost. Third problem: student has erased an initial answer, overwriting a wrong one in. What little I can make out of the erasure looks good.

I asked myself why I still bother.

Then told myself that, after all, these days I barely do bother.

Still, it's kind of a wonder that I bother at all.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says I shouldn't let it bother me.

100 years ago today, the Battle of Jutland took place. This resulted in the largest loss of life suffered by the Royal Navy in a single day. Although the Germans sank more British ships they retired to port and never tried to contest the North Sea again. Jutland was seen as a loss by the public due to the number of dead and the fact the ships blew up catastrophically. There have been several programmes about it recently which illustrated that poor safety procedures and strategy were responsible for the losses. And afterwards there was a fair amount of covering up. 

You know what, Dude? Maybe you shouldn't talk to the media. Maybe you should just sit back and rejoice in the fact that your rapist son's life is probably going to be fine in a few years because he got a joke of a sentence and the memory of the public isn't that long.

Maybe you and your piece of crap kid should just put your heads down and shut up. 

Just go away. 

Dear Mr. X,

Asking when is the last day of classes about 12 hours before that last day of classes begins, following some truly vacuous topical questions about the overdue lab work, does a great job of icing the impression that you have been paying no attention to anything. The kicker that I cannot put a face to your name means you cannot even use the doe-eyed innocent look when I am considering where to draw the F line.

Cheers,

Dr. Cancer