A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

The car search has officially reached the "Let's see if Mark will fit in this car" stage.

1991 Subaru Legacy Wagon - Hmm, if the wheel tilts up and stays locked in place, this might work. Tonights version did not.

Plus I had forgotten the annoying auto safety belts from that era. Grrrr.

Hmm, I could go for a car almost as old as me: Chevy Impala

Random musing.

Linux's mascot, the penguin. Were they aware when they chose it how ironic the penguin is for this open source community? How almost impossible it would be for Linux to be adopted as a desktop machine?

Lets face it, one penguin looks like the next penguin, a photo of 100 penguins and each one would look alike – dressed in an identical tuxedo – hence the name of mascot Tux. You couldn’t get a more Big Brother looking group if you tried. A corporate mindset? No free radicals in this “corporate†penguin community.

The Linux stereotypical appearance is a blue jeans, t-shirt radical/nerd, free spirited, anti-corporate change-the-world-for-the-better neo-hippy. The complete opposite to Big Blue’s famous corporate environment where they reputably dress alike (like penguins).

If I read the Linux community right they want to replace the established corporate OS (Microsoft Windows) with a Linux version. In other words a change of clothes from Microsoft’s corporate dress wear to Linux’s tuxedo, but still in a “Big Brother†one mindset, all clothes are the same environment – penguin tuxedos.

Does anybody else find this ironic – the “free radicals†of the open source community using a mascot that is the opposite of what they say they the want to accomplish?

“From every open source project, a developer will emerge to be incorporated into the corporate ‘Big Brother’ environment.â€

And the fact that IBM is a keen promoter of Linux is an irony not lost on me – tuxedoes for everyone.

Anyone who remembers Apple’s 1984 commercial that introduced Macintosh, Apple then had it right, they portrayed themselves the way the Linux community want to be seen now. Unlike them, Apple achieved it and they didn’t use a mascot where each person (or penguin) looked the same, they distanced themselves from that – pointed the finger at it – “look do you want to look like one of these corporate identicals, or would you like to use an apple, to think different?†(my words).

Conclusion:

Tux is a representation of the corporate “dress alike†environment. Granted penguins (the animals) don’t have much choice in the matter being black and white*, but I find it ironic that a community of hackers would adopt a symbol that they want to distance themselves from – yet infiltrate this same corporate environment and replace Windows with a Linux desktop. Ironic eh?

T.U.X.

Totally Under Xenophobia

*when was the last time you saw a penguin off-colour? :D

Guest Worldmaker

In regards to the most recent "Let's All Bash Michael Moore" thread: sneering at something is an admission of failure. The person doing the sneering is claiming superior talent, yet adamantly declining to use it by resorting to badmouthing the object of the sneer.

The best way to sneer at someone, if you must, is to outdo that someone.

[sarcasm]

Of course, I'm sure that in some people's cases, they just hate Moore because he's a multi-millionaire and they aren't.

[/sarcasm]

Guest Worldmaker

Bobby Flay is such a dick. I mean, granted, the man has skills in the kitchen, but he's still a dick!

Our IT person sent us out a warning today about the sector zero virus. According to our good friends at snopes (estimated check time - 45 seconds) this hoax has been circulating since 2000 or so.

Credulity is an entertaining foible.

Guest Worldmaker

You know, I think the true fun of Joan of Arcadia is figuring out why God is telling her to do whatever the mission is this week.

That and the fact that most often, the reason isn't huge at all, but is rather personal.

Guest Worldmaker

Klytus, in re: the rep you most recently sent my way, thanks. I appreciate the support.

From the Doi!! File :doi:

I was talking to several others at work and one person mentioned that her husband does not like Mexican food. My response...

"He doesn't like Mexican! That's un-American!" :doi:

crapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrap

A series of bad decisions tends to compound into one bad situation.

I have one of two bad situations, neither of which are horrible just yet. Estimated duration - 5 hours to "so long as you both shall live"...

DON'T ASK. I'm using this the way Midas's barber used a hole in the Earth.

Because, you know, that worked so well for him.

I'm watching the movie Frankenstein Conquers the World right now and I've just noticed something. The "evil" monster (not Frankenstein, mind you) is actually the same four-legged dog like monster from that Godzilla movie, GMK: All-Out Monster Attack.