A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

Went to the theatre on Saturday and saw Gillian Anderson in a play called The Sweetest Swing in Baseball.

Had a good seat in the stalls so I got a good view all the way through.

Gone are the Titian tresses, her hair was a mousey sort of blonde.

The theatre is a small one and the play was a world premiere in March with the same cast.

Basically Gillian is an artist whose latest show bombs. She tries to commit suicide and ends up hospitalised. However her insurance won't cover her for more than 10 days so with assistance from other inmates she pretends to be Daryl Strawberry, the baseball player. All this in order to get her stay prolonged as she can't face the outside world. The slight twist is that when she does get out she thinks she is Daryl and is painting as a way of rehab.

Gillian is on stage throughout the play except for about 10-15 seconds when she goes off to collect some paintings which you only ever see the back off.

The character is far removed from Dana Scully except in the Christian name and so you can see why Gillian is doing it. Dana Fielding is brittle and unsure of herself. And there is no glamour to the part. She hardly smiles throughout.

Her hair is bunched up as well.

After the play Gillian was signing autographs outside looking more like her usual self. This was the matinee performance with another to go that night and one more week until it finishes. So all the more credit to her as far as I am concerned.

I have completed my registration for GenCon Indy. Now I just have to wait a little more than three months for the games to begin. Even though I tried to try other games systems I found that most of the games I registered were Hero system. Oh well, can't fault a guy for going with the best. ;) Actually some of the games for Hero look pretty spiffy, and many of the other systems I was going to try were already sold out. So four Hero, one tri-stat and one unisystem (Buffy). Come along way since playing mostly TSR and White Wolf.

So, I call my grandmother for mother's day yesterday, and she casually mentions that "We'll, we'll know tomorrow".

Me: "Know what?"

Grandma: "About your dad's biopsy. Didn't you know?"

Nope. They found a spot in dad's lungs, and decided they had to biopsy it. He went in for surgery last week, and he had a 9:30 am meeting today (monday) with the doctor because the test results would be back.

And, well, somehow, my mom couldn't be bothered to call me and tell me any of this.

It could just be scar tissue (he gets bronchitis shading to pneumonia every year).

But that's no excuse for not letting me know. It isn't the first time she's done this to me. We'll talk on the phone for an hour, and she'll tell me all about work and the people there, and her friends, and her medical problems, but never once mention dead relatives, or major surgeries, or cancer scares.

I figured that after 36 years on the planet, mom would stop playing those games. Alas, I was dead wrong.

But, here I sit by the phone, waiting to find out what's going on.

Happy birthday to me. I hate the damn month of may. Something always goes to hell during this month.

D

Well, now I need to get myself Age of Empires II. I had a demo-copy of AoE I (I think) that I never played. My anti-Micro$oft bias prevented me from doing so. But we played it at work (yes, I actually got paid to play a game at work today :D) and now I'm hooked. Leave it to Micro$oft to make a good game involving global domination.

Turns out my car has a torn CV boot. Of all the times, this had to be found when I'm almost totally out of cash. I know you can drive for a while with a tear... but how long has it been torn? It's been at least a year since someone went under the car.

Guest Worldmaker

I just got off the scale and I'm at 270 pounds, even. When I started keeping track, with the intention of losing, I was at 311 pounds and a couple of ounces. That was back in September.

Looks like the old fashioned way of weight loss (eating better and less, exercising more) works just as well as "intentionally torture myself by not giving my body what it needs to function correctly" diets like Atkins.

I am tired of people saying something along the lines of "not meaning to be an a**hole" right after saying something that can be taken no other way. Of course, they meant to be an a**hole. Who do they think they're fooling?

The Perks of Being a Cab Driver

In the second part of my cab driving shift today, I got a call to go south, which turned out to be the Sheriff's Department Fingerprinting Office. There I met up with the fare, two rather, uh, well-built women with baggage. I helped them in and said, "are you guys going to the airport?" They said, "no, we just got here from the airport. We need to go to the nearest strip club."

Turns out they were both stopping in town to strip at the local clubs during the convention this week and needed to get a referral from at least one of the strip clubs before they could get their cards to work in Nevada. As we drove around, they talked about how dead business is in California, but when they got here they found out they had to get fingerprinted- and pay for that- and get a referral from the employer- and pay for that- then come back to the Sheriff's Office for the cards- and pay for THAT. BEFORE getting hired and making money. I said, "sounds just like being a cab driver."

First place they went was closed til 2. Second place gave them a business registration form, but NOT a referral, so we kept driving. By the time I took them to another club way up the street, the meter was $19. They said, "if we come for a referral in this place, they're gonna want us to audition.

"Do you want to come in and watch?"

:jawdrop:

So... I did. And because it was afternoon, and I was the cab driver, the club let me in with no cover (though I pissed off $7 on overpriced soda and tips just to be customer-ly). End result, I spent almost 2 hours on this, got enough in tips to make up for what I spent, and the girls liked my service enough that they said they might call for my cab number the next time they need a drive.

And give me a free lap dance.

Both of them.

:bounce:

JG

I really miss my cat, Jericho. He was my buddy. When I got divorced a few months ago, I moved into an apartment that wanted too much money for a pet, so I left him with the ex. Problem is, she didn't really like him, so she gave him away. I know he's living in a good place now, and I still can't afford a pet here, but I really miss him. I found some pictures of him today and felt really bad. I feel guilty because I couldn't take him and I couldn't explain why.

Dumb cat... :(:weep:

I took the family to a carnival last weekend. At one point, my wife and I got seperated in teh crowd. When I finally spotted her, I was struck by just how beautiful she is. To get the warm fuzzies just by seeing her after almost 15 years of marriage did my heart good. I have had many temptations to revert to the wild habits of my youth, but have resisted them at every turn. I thank God for this reward for my good behavior.

Oh no! I'm getting my son ready for school, and realized he only has one pill left! He has Tourrette Syndrome, and without medicine he gets in trouble with his teacher. We have tried a hundred times to speak to the principal - I'm not sure he exists at this point - about her intolerance to his condition. Oh boy . . . .

An incident at work just reminded me of Sunday. I was out getting groceries and walked past two teens shopping as well. One of them had a tank top on with the arm holes cut so low that it was barely shirt. The kid also had the waist of his pants low enough to advertise his underwear. I almost wanted to ask him if Hanes was paying him Michael Jordan bucks to advertise for them. If not then pull up your damn pants.

On a related note. Where I went to college there was a small bookstore that sold all fantasy/sf novels and the lady that ran the store also ordered comics for us fanboys. Some kid walked in with his pants hanging down. She said in no uncertain terms, "Pull up your pants or get out and don't come back til you learn how to dress yourself." She was a neat lady.