A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

I find myself a people watcher, both in real life and on the boards here. It's caused no end of trouble for me, as I have a bad habit of just staring at something that's caught my interest. Usually people mis-judge my reasons for staring (or in some cases not staring). And yet, I find their reactions to be all the more interesting.

For Instance, grocery shopping the other day and walking through the chips/soda isle, I saw a group of young High School guys huddled around pointing at chips and trying to come to some consensus. One of them held Hamburger meat, and they were pointing at the cheapest bags of potato chips available. I was so tempted to stop and watch, if only to see if I can figure out if they were being extremely frugal, or just didn't have the cash they wanted for their big blow out barbeque they were likely planning.

Guest Worldmaker

I saw two bumper stickers on the way home today that made me pause and think. The first said "Know Jesus, Know Peace. No Jesus, No Peace". The second said "Keep Honking. I'm Reloading".

Is it just me, or is there a serious dichotomy there?

I find myself, for the second time in as many weeks, limping due to an injury. First it was a knee that got infected, now I'm told by a doctor to keep my foot elevated due to minor toe surgery. If I were religious, I might think someone was trying to tell me something (Quit walking ya moron!).

On the plus side, I now get to pop vicadin pills for a week to deal with pain....

So there I was driving to work yesterday (5/11), flipping through the radio stations. Normally, I leave it on the classical music station since everything else is talk radio in the morning. But for some reason, I decided to go channel surfing anyway. Then on 98 Rock (a Baltimore radio station) I hear them mention that comedian Brad Trackman, doing shows at the DC Improv this week through Sunday, is going to be their guest. This totaly floored me, because I knew a Brad Trackman from my old neighborhood - we went to school together up until high school. He was never exactly NICE to me, mind you, but I just had to keep listening to see if this was the same guy. After all, it is not a common name. And even though I haven't seen or heard this guy for at least 21 years, it sure did sound like him. When I go to work, I hit the web to find his picture. Sure enough, it also looks like it could be him.

So I fire off an e-mail. I'm not expecting him to see or respond to this thing for days. I just asked him if he was the same Brad Trackman who grew up in (name of home town) and remembered playing touch football at the triangle with (name some old friends) and offered an appology if this was not the same guy.

He answers me the same day with an "OH MY GOD!" It was him all right, and he remembered me. He even invited me and White Heat to come catch his show at the DC Improv as his guests. So for our Sweetie's night out, we're going to into DC to catch his show. Since we're guests, that'll save us $30 in cover charges!

Now let's hope he's actually a good comic. I have high hopes, as I hear he's hot stuff in New York, and he's been on Comedy Central a few times. Plus, he was one of those kids always getting in trouble for opening his mouth cus he was such a wise-ass. Looks like all those teachers who said, "What are you, a comedian?" inspired his career path.

This is just so cool. :)

I successfully pulled off "Tucker's Kobolds" in D&D3.5 last night. Damn that was fun.

40 battle trained 1st level Kobold Rogues, with crossbows and alchemist fire a commando mindset, and a pre-prepared trapped, fire zone. vs the party of 4 2nd level gestalt characters.

If they hadn't won initiative in the second fight, there would have been a TPK.

About half of the Kobolds got away, rather than staying and fighting to the bitter end.

And, I taught the party about teamwork, and tactics, so it's all good.

D

Maybe not so cool...

… we tried to have a night out at the comedy club. Only problem was, when we got there, our names were not on the guest list. Granted, this was all very last minute, but Brad told us he had our names on his guest list. We had enough money for dinner in the city, but not for buying tickets and dinner in the city. We also learned that Brad wasn't on until 10 o’clock – way later than we had though. So, our evening in the town consisted of dinner at Potbelly’s and a Metro ride in and out of the city.

If Brad wants me at his show next time, he needs to have me on the damn guest list!

The funniest show I've seen in at least five years , possibly ever, is Carol Burnett's Bump Up The Lights special that's playing right now.

:rofl:

These five people are truly funny. :D I'm sorry I'm too young to have seen the original airings.

EDIT: The classiest ending of a show I've ever seen. The five principles (Carol Burnett, Vicki Lawrence, Harvey Korman, Lyle Waggoner and Tim Conway) got up and gave the audience a standing ovation before the audience had a chance to do the same for them. :)

Yesterday evening I was in the comic shop picking up this week's batch and (gasp) the store had gotten my copy of Turakian Age within a week of ordering it (as opposed to the usual month long wait). The guy working the counter gets annoyed at the talk radio currently on and switches channels. As I am checking out, the DJ says something to the effect, "we're here talking with Joe Satriani..." By ears perk up. I finish paying, get to my car and turn on the radio, sure enough, they are intervieiwing Satch about his latest amp and album. He plays four songs live on air (the sound was just incredible, Always With You, Always With Me is unbelievable when he plays it live). And they announce he will be at a music store meeting fans and signing autographs. Of all the days. I have at trip today, so last night was spent cleaning out my house and packing so I couldn't make it over to get an album or four signed. The good news is, it sounded like he is planning a tour this fall with Deep Purple. And the guitarist for Deep Purple will be Steve Morse. Hope the tour comes to St. Louis.

I've been under a lot of stress lately. Between buying this house, wondering if my new corporate buyout masters are going to lay me off or not, my wife's upcoming operation, this mandatory non-binding arbitration hearing over a car accident I was involved in a couple of years ago, etc. etc. etc.

If I've been a little cranky lately (or crankier than usual, heh) then I apologize to the group. Specific apology goes out to McCoy, who while he rubs me the wrong way quite often, is not the cause of my stress and hence should not be the target of my ire.