A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

Didn't spend much time at work today. Head isn't working right.

Wound up swinging by the vet to get another bag of fluids, deposited the semi-final check from insurance at the bank. Swung by a music shop to see if they had Mojo Nixon's Frenzy CD, they didn't but picked up the soundtrack from Basketball Diaries since I hadn't heard the version of Catholic Boy with Pearl Jam. I also picked up Turakian Age at Bridgetown. They still have a stack.

Then over to the car audio place and transplant the stereo from Tasha into the Spacecab.

Thinking is still not working right, but got a call from my wife so we got to chat for a bit. Only 3 days till she gets back. Long weekend.

Heard on the news today that SUV sales are down and retailers are beginning to cut prices on them. Also, that small car sales are up and their prices are beginning to rise.

I guess potential buyers are paying a little more attention to the mpg sticker.

It's just a shame that dealers feel they need to make up for the loss of SUV sales, buy driving up the price of fuel efficient vehicles which are selling better. It seems that a consumer just can't catch a break.

I turn 40 today. Celbrated last night with wife and son, I've been playing guitar all morning with the amp cranked up (am usually real quiet and can hear the neighbors' TVs and radios 24/7 :thumbdown so now it's my turn), then I'm going to my brother's to play games, and then a group of us guys are going to an arena football game. Tomorrow a.m. I play guitar at early service - and I'm jamming this week, I love the song selection, and one tune is gonna be pure metal heaven - and then more family fun. I'm not working Monday - I'm going to go to a major guitar store an hour away to try and trade in 6 of my guitars for a Gibson SG Tony Iommi signature model.

The only birthday that really affected me was turning 20. I had already been on my own for about 5 years, was living in another country, and when I was no longer a teenager, the Drifter started to realize that drifting didn't have much of a benefits package . . .

When my two year old son get older, and comes back home for the hollidays, I'm going to give him his Finding Nemo DVD. He'll say "Wow, I remember watching this all the time". And I'll reply, "Do you know why? Almost every time that you were in the living room watching Nemo, your mother and I were in the bedroom doing the nasty" Just about that time, my wife will take a picture of the reaction on his face. THink that's bad? Just wait till he starts dating. :D

Yesterday, I finally got a jacket for summer riding.

It's multiple layers of nylon mesh, with armor in the shoulders, elbows, forearms, and back. It may not protect as well as leather, but I'll have enough air movement that I won't be cooking in my own juces when I'm riding in 90+ degree (F) weather.

I feel like I just re-claimed my summer.

Doc

I've just finished watching a documentary on The Thai-Burma Railway built by the Japanese during WW2.

There are people who qustion the documentary medium and I understand their reservations. Howver for me, watching this, I can't help be moved by it. The story is told from a British engineer who wated to understand the railway from a technical engineering perspective. He left a humanitarian. The documentary is named The Bridge on the River Kwai.

I very much hope I remember this each time I watch the David Lean movie. The documentary would the a terrific and valuable addition to the dvd. Incomparable.

I am sick to my stomach, and it has nothing to do with being ill. My dearest friend in the whole world is hurt beyond words... and there is nothing I can do to ease the pain. I'm doing everything I can, and then some... but none of it makes the pain and hurt go away.

I've never felt quite so helpless.

Well, tomorrow morning I go back to work after 22 weeks of parental leave...

I'm entitled to 35, but we just can't survive on what EI pays, so I have to go back early...

I've enjoyed the break, but it's really driven home how much I despise my job. Yet, without a great deal more education than I have, anything I would enjoy seems out of reach. I've wanted to go back to school for the longest time now, but debtload has made it impractical... it was just starting to get more manageable, but then pregnancy #2 came along and my wife's income, already low, dropped to zero for about six months or so when she was put on bedrest (for what turned out to be no good reason *coughquackcough*)... followed by my lowered income on EI...

So, we've added several grand more debt to the pile, and back to work I go...

I love both my sons dearly, and I will continue to make any and all sacrifices for them, but I'm feeling more than a little low...

I walked out on my contract at MS last week. No sense in grinding away so close to the move. I have seldom felt such immense elation and emotional freedom. Its akin to going commando in a cool breeze on a hot summer day. I didn't realize how much I hated working there until I found myself unencumbered by it. The look on my managers face when I tossed my card key on his desk and walked out without a word will warm me like a blazing fire on a cold winter night for many years to come.

Ever get the feeling that Fate is messing with you ?

Personnel terminated my employment by mistake so I could not log into the computer system. It does not affect my pay thankfully.

I have a leak above my desk and have been waiting for 3 hours now for someone to come out and look at it.

I was thinking of going to see When Harry met Sally tonight at the theatre only to find out there was a slight ceiling collapse so it won't be showing tonight or tomorrow.

On the plus side I saw the police and finger print people over the weekend and got that sorted out after the burglery.

This is a bunch of words I came up recently and a exposition of some of the thought behind it. The quote pretty much came spontaneously, the exposition didn't. Hope you enjoy.

-------------------

"civil war rarely is" -- Bazza

Originally I came up with "Civil war usually isn't" but I like the above better; more concise and to the point.

The irony is that we get civilisation from "civil" and supposedly "civil war" is "civilisation by warfare". I'm yet to find a civilisation created during constant warfare. Perhaps the Geneva Convention is the closest we have come to it -- that is off course if during all the chaos and madness people follow law and order.

Some notable Civil Wars

- The French Revolution (Marie Antoinette guillotined)

- The English Civil War (King was beheaded -- ie regicide committed)

- The Russian Revolution (Fall of the Romanovs -- the last Tsar Dynasty)

- The American Civil War

Civil war is tautology, there is nothing civil about war and by extension civilisation cannot be created during war.

I'm staying home today. My muscles are too sore.

Yesterday we had a massive attack of spring cleaning.

We did a major cleaning of the master bedroom. Which is also the entire top floor. It took all day, including the trip to the dump with garbage and recyclables. But I swear it's the first time it's been properly clean since winter began. It feels so GOOD to have a clean room.

Now we have to catch up on the laundry.

Doc