Help an aspiring writer: Heroes of San Corona

JmOz

So, for years I have wanteed to write a book for Hero Games.  Should be easy, I have some great ideas, love building characters and powers, etc...

However my depression (as in clinical)  has often side tracked me.  Right now that depression is absolutly crippling, So I am trying to force myself to write a small booklet on the characters I wanted to use as a samples in the adventure book I have in the back of my head (Less said there the better). 

I know I want to include 5 PC's, I have 3 fairly flushed out, the other 2 on the other hand...I want to make a balanced group that fits into a "Marvel Knights" level game (Think Daredevil, Spider-Man, Moon Knight, Batman level game...yah I know they are all more powerful than what is really playable on a 300 point budget but gives you an idea of what I am looking for, for flavor)

I have

a brick (Big guy)

mystic flying Martial artist (Lancer)

Vehicle based martial artist (Smart Guy)

Need a chick and a Leader

The team also seems to need some Range

I could use some ideas. 

The big guy is a  Str 50 Classic brick with OIHID named Brute (he is also a rocket scientist and has a "Captain Daffy" Personality)

The Lancer is called Tengu, he is a Flying swordsman.  Powers are mystical in nature and stem from a cloak

The Vehicle guy is called Dragon Fly and is heavily inspired by the Ted Kord Blue Beetle in ability but has more serious personality

The mentalist would make an obvious choice for leader if she could communicate telepathically.  Energy projectors are kind of hard since it seems like any and every possible type of energy has been used for some EP or other.  But sonic or broad-spectrum electromagnetic effects could have a lot of versatility.  Either would allow for levitation, telekinesis, and NND attacks.

I'd recommend spending some time on the personalities and weaknesses of each character.  Not hard for those of us who are used to building Champions characters, but these will make the story easier to write.  And do consider putting more than one "chick" on the team so your book might pass the Bechdel test.  ;)

Personality on the three

Brute is a joker with a very dry sense of humor and loves pranks...his favorite is to act stupid when powered up (Most people don't realize he has a int 29).  Somewhat low self esteem as well

Dragonfly is a tinkerer, often intrigued by tech.  Happiest when he is making mods to his airship, intravert

Tangu is tortured, his magic cloak makes him target people who are proudful, normaly this is just humiliations, but for those above the law...

I was basing the team on the clasic 5 man band, thus the roles, I would assume the leader would be the true blue hero, as this makes him a natural target for Tangu's lancing.  Perhaps a disgraced STRIPE agent (Think PRIMUS/SHIELD)...trying to get his good name cleared?

I do want to avoid mentalists.  Technically Dragonfly is a Cyberpath but telepathy can really short circuit some of what I have planned.  I could to with a Tk or Pk but defiantly not a TP

My concern with a lot of types is that I want to keep it what I call Street Level.  Powers are okay, but want to keep the right feel.  Thinking for at least one ranged I should do trick ammo. 

I do want to thank everyone who contributes...I don't know what I am looking for to be honest and I don't want to seem like I am being negative on any suggestions, I am considering everything everyone is saying (Ex. Tangu or dragonfly is very likely going to have a gender change)

Okay update

Dragonfly is now a woman

The Chick (BTW this does not need to be a girl technically) will be Bandit a UT Belt Martial Artist

Still working on team lead however.  I like the idea of a trick ammo type, maybe bow, but leaning towards something odder

Will be reworking Tengu to be more mystical as well and less Hawkman ish

Well, as far as tricked-out missile weapons go, I think everything else has been done.

Boomerangs=Batman, Captain Boomerang

Arrows=Hawkeye, Green Arrow, Speedy/Arsenal/Red Arrow, Rainbow Archer, Warpath

Firearms=Doc Savage, Judge Dredd

And that's off the top of my head.  If there's a superhero or villain whose main weapon is a slingshot, that character does not come immediately to mind.

Add to that the facts that slingshots are more easily concealable than the other weapons I've listed, and are not limited to specialized ammunition as are bows and guns, and their effectiveness becomes that much more apparent.

Hope that helps.

I believe that the primary reason that there are not that many chars using slinshots is that most people believe that they are both less impressive and do less damage than other forms of attack. However, if anyone has ever studied what different weapons can do, (as would be most of us here in Herodom) realize that they have much more that they can perform than is immediately appearant on the surface. There are many ways to increase the range, damage, effect, or something else, if not some combination of all.

JM,

Have you considered a Captain America type as your team lead?  Or maybe Moon Knight?

Also Camp Nano is starting at midnight at campnanowrimo.org. You'll have thirty days to write your draft.

CES

I am leaning towards a Cap like character right now.  The Centurion earth equivalent to SHIELD anyways has a group of Nanobot empowered superhumans who investigate supers, often work as team liaisons, etc...Thinking something like started investigating something in city, got to close, now off the grid for some reason (assumed dead, framed, etc...).  Nice tie in with some of the Big Bad I have planed for the overall story arc in the adventure book

Write now I have 3.25 books planned

1) Campaign setting

Includes sample character team that will be available as a separate book well before

2) Book of gadgets

3) big book of characters

Thinking instead of a shield giving him wrist blasters that have a number of different settings for a blaster (AF, AP, 0 END, RKA, Flash, etc...)

12 Battle Shield: Multipower, 30-point reserve,  (30 Active Points); all slots OAF (-1), Requires A Roll (Skill roll; -1/2)

1f 1)  Block: +4 OCV (20 Active Points); OAF (-1), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Requires A Roll (Skill roll; -1/2)

1f 2)  Cover: +4 DCV (20 Active Points); OAF (-1), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Requires A Roll (Skill roll; -1/2)

1f 3)  Deflect: Deflection (20 Active Points); OAF (-1), Requires A Roll (Skill roll; -1/2)

1f 4)  Bash: Hand-To-Hand Attack +4d6 (20 Active Points); OAF (-1), Requires A Roll (Skill roll; -1/2), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/4)

1f 5)  Intercept: Resistant Protection (10 PD/10 ED) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Requires A Roll (Skill roll; -1/2)  

1) Block - added to represent the large surface area. 

2) Cover - added to represent hiding behind the shield. 

3) Deflect - added to represent deflecting attacks at self. Note; Buy extra Skill Levels for Deflect to show skill.

4) Bash - Hit by a large (but not area attack) and heavy object.  

5) Intercept - Taking damage on the shield rather than hiding behind it. 

Creator Notes; This represents a superhero genre shield over a Fantasy or Sci-Fi shield. 

Costs 3 Active Points to buy off Requires A Roll (Skill roll; -1/2) - Added to represent an starting character's skill. 

Costs 2 Active Pints to buy off Costs Endurance (-1/2) - Added to represent carrying a shield. (They are heavy)   

Ohh I know how to make a shield...:)  been at this for awhile...

I like doing homages with a twist so thinking

33 (Plasma) Blasters Bracers (50 point MP, OIF)

3u  10d6 EB

3u  8d6 EB 1/2 End

3u 8d6 EB AP

3u 8d6 EB AF3

2u 8d6 Flash AE cone, No range

3u 3d6+1 RKA

2u +4d6 HA, 0End, HA (-1/4)

------

7  +2 DCV (Blocking)

11   (60 end/3 Rec)

Probably a little Pricey...Would make (with the other powers and gear) the character be about 125 points in powers on a 325 point budget...

Hi there

Well, why not make your Chick the leader (girl power !!) ^^ 

A martial artist specialized at Range might be what you're looking for.

Example below

Name: Yukio Player:  Val Char Base Cost 15 STR 10 5 20 DEX 10 20 19 CON 10 9 13 BODY 10 3 16 INT 10 6 10 EGO 10 0 12 PRE 10 2 6/18 PD 2 4 4/16 ED 2 2 6 SPD 2.0 40 8 REC 4 4 40 END 20 4 35 STUN 20 8 32m RUN 12 20 4m SWIM 4 0 6m LEAP 4 1 STR Roll: 12- Run:  32m DEX Roll: 13- Swim:  4m CON Roll: 13- Leap:  6m INT Roll: 12- EGO Roll: 11- PER Roll 12- Disadvantages Pts Psychological Complication: Madness; Thrill for Death (Common; Strong)  15 Physical Complication: Doesn't Know The Meaning Of The Word Fear (All the Time; Slightly Impairing)  25 Negative Reputation: Ronin/Burakumin, Very Frequently (Known Only To A Small Group)  10 Social Complication: Angel of Death Frequently, Major  15 Social Complication: Criminal Conviction : Thief Frequently, Major  15 Hunted: Yakuzas Infrequently (Mo Pow; NCI; Limited Geographical Area; Harshly Punish/Capture)  15   XP
Base Points : 400 Disads Total + 95 Experience Spent + 0 Total Cost = 400 Quote:I've always said, "You're never more alive -- then when you're about to die!" So I don't always say it -- but when I do, I mean it. 
---
"Yukio ! you nearly died !"
"That's what made the experience so exquisite." Personality/Motivation:Yukio has been portrayed as a free spirit with an almost careless disregard for personal danger. Powers/Tactics: While she is highly skilled in the martial arts, Yukio is not a mutant and possesses no super powers. Her specialty weapons are scalpel-like shuriken, of which she can hurl several at a time with deadly accuracy. Pts.  Power/Skill/Perk/Talent END 15   Shurikens: Multipower, 22-point reserve, (22 Active Points); all slots IAF (Concealed Shurikens; -1/2)   1f   1) Dance of the Ten Stars: Killing Attack - Ranged 1/2d6, Autofire (10 shots; +1) (20 Active Points); Requires A DEX Roll (Characteristic roll; -1/2), IAF (Concealed Shurikens; -1/2), No Knockback (-1/4)  Versus:PD 2 1f   2) Reflex Dance Of the Three Stars: Killing Attack - Ranged 1/2d6, Autofire (3 shots; +1/4), Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates; Reflex Action; +1) (22 Active Points); Requires A DEX Roll (Characteristic roll; -1/2), IAF (Concealed Shurikens; -1/2), No Knockback (-1/4)  Versus:PD 2          Shurikenjutsu    0   1) Weapon Element: Thrown Knives/Axes    4   2) Basic Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, Range +2, Strike, +6 DC    3   3) Defensive Throw: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +2 DCV, Range +0, Strike +4 DC    5   4) Far Throw: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, -1 DCV, Range +4, Strike +4 DC    4   5) Quick Throw: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +0 DCV, Range +0, Strike, +6 DC    16   6) +4 Ranged Damage Class(es)       Karate    1   1) Weapon Element: Karate Weapons    1   2) Weapon Element: Staffs    4   3) Atemi Strike: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, 4d6 NND    4   4) Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort    4   5) Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort    4   6) Knifehand Strike ("Chop"): 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +0 DCV, HKA 3 1/2d6    3   7) Legsweep: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, -1 DCV, 8d6 Strike, Target Falls    4   8) Punch/Snap Kick: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 9d6 Strike    5   9) Side/Spin Kick: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, 11d6 Strike    16   10) +4 HTH Damage Class(es)          10   Defense Maneuver I-IV     3   Acrobatics 13-    3   Analyze: Style 12-    5   Accurate Sprayfire    3   Breakfall 13-    3   Climbing 13-    3   Concealment 12-    3   Contortionist 13-    3   KS: Karate Style 12-    3   KS: Shurikenjutsu Style 12-    0   Language: Japanese (idiomatic; literate) (5 Active Points)    3   Lockpicking 13-    2   PS: Cat Burglar 11-    3   Security Systems 12-    3   Shadowing 12-    3   Sleight Of Hand 13-    3   Stealth 13-    3   Streetwise 11-                24   Martial Reflexes: Combat Luck (12 PD/12 ED)    17   Combat Blindness: Combat Sense (Sense) 12-    3   Simulate Death    4   Ki Focus: Lightning Reflexes (+6 DEX to act first with All Actions) (6 Active Points); Requires A DEX Roll (Characteristic roll; -1/2)                 17 : Powers Cost
 185 + Skills Cost
 198 + Characteristics Cost
 400 = Total Cost Base OCV:  10 Base DCV:  10 Base OMCV:  3 Base DMCV:  3   Levels:  Combat Maneuvers Name Phase OCV DCV Effect Block 1/2 +0 +0 Block, Abort Brace 0 +2 1/2 +2 vs. Range Mod. Disarm 1/2 -2 +0 Can disarm Dodge 1/2 --- +3 Abort, vs. all attacks Grab 1/2 -1 -2 Grab two limbs Grab By 1/2 -3 -4 Move and Grab Haymaker 1/2* +0 -5 +4DC to attack Move By 1/2 -2 -2 STR/2 + v/10 Move Through 1/2 -v/10 -3 STR + v/6 Set 1 +1 +0 Ranged attacks only Strafe 1/2 -v/6 -2 Ranged moving attack Strike 1/2 +0 +0 STR or weapon Choke 1/2 -2 -2 1d6 NND, Grab One Limb Club Weapon 1/2 +0 +0 KA does Normal Damage Cover 1/2 -2 +0 target held at "gunpoint" Dive for Cover 1/2 +0 +0 Avoids Attack; Abort Hipshot 1/2 -1 +0 +1 DEX Initiative only Pulling a Punch 1/2 -1 per 5d6 +0 Strike, Normal STUN , 1/2 BODY Roll with Punch 1/2 -2 -2 Block, Abort, 1/2 Damage Shove 1/2 -1 -1 Push 1m/5 STR used Throw 1/2 +0 +0 STR Damage, Throw Trip 1/2 -1 -2 Knock Target Prone Basic Throw 1/2 +0 +0 Strike, +6 DC Defensive Throw 1/2 -1 +2 Strike +4 DC Far Throw 1/2 +1 -1 Strike +4 DC Quick Throw 1/2 +1 +0 Strike, +6 DC Atemi Strike 1/2 -1 +1 4d6 NND Block 1/2 +2 +2 Block, Abort Dodge 1/2 -- +5 Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort Knifehand Strike ("Chop") 1/2 -2 +0 HKA 3 1/2d6 Legsweep 1/2 +2 -1 8d6 Strike, Target Falls Punch/Snap Kick 1/2 +0 +2 9d6 Strike Side/Spin Kick 1/2 -2 +1 11d6 Strike Range (m) 0-8 10-16 17-32 33-64 65-128 129-256 RMod 0 -2 -4 -6 -8 -10 DEX: 20 SPD: 6 ECV: 3 - 3 Phases: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 6/18 PD (0/12 rPD) 4/16 ED (0/12 rED) MD: 0 END: 40 STUN: 35 BODY: 13 Height: 1.57 m Hair: Jet Black Weight: 46.00 kg Eyes: Black Appearance:  Background: Yukio is an occasional thief by profession, as well as a r?nin, a masterless samurai.

Yukio-Wolverine-Marvel-Comics-Japan-h0.j

Was already planning on making the leader female but not the chick (The term here is being used for "The heart of the team")

Figuring right now Bandit (or maybe Dragonfly) and the Leader (current code name Liberty) will be female.

so Team as of right now

Leader - Liberty Columbia

Lancer - Tengu

Big Guy -Brute

Brains- Dragonfly (However Brute is a genius as well, but personality wise more Dragonfly)

Chick - Bandit

I want to thank you all for the ideas.  BTW GREAT ART

I might decide to rework the bracers down a little and give a ranged martial arts package, but I want to make it as Champions Complete compatible as possible (No range MA in there unfortunately)