2018-19 NFL Thread.

Enforcer84

24 minutes ago, Cygnia said:

Not only are the Browns .500 -- they are NOT the worst in their division!  ?

Take that a step further.  They have a VERY good shot at playing spoiler, and while they'll be an underdog, it won't be by all that much.  You have to say they have a fair shot at the win.

And crazy of crazies...the Steelers MUST have this happen or they're *done*.  Tenn/Indy winner is in as WC at least, no matter what.

Man...Steelers have to look at the Bronco and especially Raider games if they don't make the playoffs, and they're underdogs to pull it off.  Granted, they bloody well should beat the Bungles, but I think the Ravens will probably take care of their business.  Not that I'd *want* to play the Browns;  they're gonna play, you figure.  

I can't believe I wrote that.  Scared to play the Browns.  Impossible.

In other news, how much is Brees gonna play next week?  I'll say a quarter.  Nothing for them to play for, Carolina's completely out so there's no competitive reason to play.  That said, I don't like sitting everyone, as they'll have the bye week anyway.

Used to be that we'd make a joke about the Browns during the course of the dinner theatre show I'm involved in when we come across a corpse.  Can't do THAT any more.

Fortunately, making a joke about Hue Jackson doing nothing is still effective for the home crowd. :eg:

(and no, we can't make a joke about the government per the bosses)

Cleveland’s Paparazzi Celebration Is One of the Many Reasons the Browns Are Awesome

The last 3 weeks have dramatically shown that early season success means NOTHING.

Final division "power rankings"...numbers relative to a .500 overall record.  Nothing but division games left.

AFC East -8

AFC West +4

AFC North  +2

AFC South +6   (so AFC vs. NFC?  AFC is +4...34-30)

NFC East -2

NFC West -4

NFC North +2

NFC South even

And ya talk about early results meaning nothing...on Oct. 15, AFC South was -4 at 10-14.  Colts were 1-5;  Houston and Tenn were only 3-3.  Even with Jacksonville chasing the Raiders and Cards for the #1 pick, they went from -4 to +6 in 9 game weeks per.

7 hours ago, Badger said:

Baker Mayfield, greatest QB in Browns history*

*Assuming you want to be accurate.  And not buy the narrative that the Browns took a 3 year hibernation, and generously gave an "expansion" Ravens team all its players.

I was going to make some crack about "small sample size" and such, but then I thought back to this image...

CeVg5LjXEAINBIV.jpg

15 hours ago, Cancer said:

Hm, I think Otto Graham has a place in that conversation.

EDIT: And if you dare, look up Frank Ryan.  DOCTOR Frank Ryan.

And for laughs ...

DROP KICK KICK OFF

11 hours ago, Starlord said:

And Bernie Kosar.

Guys, he's griping that the Browns don't have claim to those players. It happens every year once or twice 

Pay no heed to the baseball fan's Browns Trolling ?  He's just mad that reality was bent when Goddell stole the team away and the NFL gave the expansion Browns their history. (He totally has a point...but the when you fight the official records you lose)

Hm, I think Otto Graham has a place in that conversation.

EDIT: And if you dare, look up Frank Ryan.  DOCTOR Frank Ryan.

No, Otto is the Ravens all-time QB. ;)

Note: You might not have been around for my argument on the old Browns being the Ravens and the new Browns being the Browns.  I don't go by what Cle/NFL says.  I go by what actually happened in history.

10 minutes ago, Enforcer84 said:

Guys, he's griping that the Browns don't have claim to those players. It happens every year once or twice 

Pay no heed to the baseball fan's Browns Trolling ?  He's just mad that reality was bent when Goddell stole the team away and the NFL gave the expansion Browns their history. (He totally has a point...but the when you fight the official records you lose)

Heh, :lol:, get off my lawn.

Course, I argue, I am going by reality.  Cleveland and the NFL, rejected reality and substituted their own.   But, yeah I cant fight the official records.  Goodell will probably have me burned as a witch.  More weight and all.   :no:

Edit: And to be fair, it isn't quite as convoluted as the Pelicans/Hornets mess of a record book in the NBA.  

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

And the award for the dumbest touchdown surrendered in 2018 goes to the Denver Broncos special teams.

:mad:

Given the head coach, are you surprised?  I'm also glad replay didn't overturn it.  THAT would've been a travesty.  I get the rule.  The end zone there is, apparently, treated the same as out of bounds.  So if the Bronco guy had touched the line, while in contact with the ball...it's over.  Druther that wasn't the case.  Admittedly, this almost NEVER comes into play.

Totally fitting first half.  PATHETIC effort by the Broncos.  If Joseph is coaching next week, it's only because there's no real reason to can him at this point.  Let the last game play out.  THEN, of course, the Raiders show why they're the Raiders.  Kickoff OB after a nice late drive for a FG, gave Denver a shot at a long FG.  It was a bit short, but it's still bad football that it came that close.

And ok, it was talking heads but...I agree with Louis Riddick over...I think it was Witten?  Witten's position is you can win with Keenum, but you have to give him help.  Yeah, right.  Riddick's comment, Keenum needed too much around him.  I agree.  It's bloody difficult to get that much general talent any more...and it's impossible to KEEP them all.  Best you can hope for is a year, maybe two, of success, so you're talking a LOT of pure luck to have that all work out.

And Gruden tosses a TO aside by throwing the challenge flag on a touchdown that isn't subject to a coach's review.  EVER.  Because it's an automatic booth review.  The TO charge is the rule;  essentially it's a delay of game kind of thing.  May not matter, but cripes, it's a moronic move.  

Yeah, Keenum throws a pick.  2 more runs is fine, that'll burn Denver's timeouts and the clock will be below 5 minutes.  No way Denver's offense can score that fast.

EDIT:  Case Keenum plays Santa for the Raider DBs.  How nice of him.  Gift-wrapped picks, but he forgot the bows.

Two interesting rumors I've read in the past few days.

1. John Harbaugh, who is apparently expected not to be retained by the Ravens after this season, is at the top of John Elway's short list to replace soon-to-be ex-Broncos head coach Vance Joseph.

2. Vance Joseph is already the front-runner to become the new defensive coordinator in Cincinnati.

Are either of those things true? Who knows? I guess we'll all know in a week or two.