2018-19 NFL Thread.

Enforcer84

Looks like the Panthers will have a complicated offseason.  They're largely on life support...not dead but bloody close...but the argument largely is it's been Cam's arm issues.  So is this a situation that'll get better?  That won't be the only factor but it does seem it'll be a notable influencer.  If Cam is expected to be a LOT better, then they're plausible contenders.  If not...they gots work to do....

Fun article on FiveThirtyEight:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/we-still-dont-know-which-nfl-teams-are-any-good/

4 hours ago, Starlord said:

Man, Jason Witten is really just...not good.  Particularly in contrast to Jon Gruden.

In contrast to a turnip, you mean.  I also think the dynamic with Booger isn't working out.  

Gruden knew his stuff but his delivery was irritating.  Shatnerian pauses...ARGH!!!  And condescending at times, I thiought.  But certainly way better than Witten.

Good article from a few weeks ago here:

https://awfulannouncing.com/espn/monday-night-football-has-a-lot-of-problems-beyond-jason-witten.html

Tessitore is better for college...and better still just in boxing.  But who's gonna step in?  ESPN's shot themselves in the foot over the last several years in terms of both talent and programming, and arguably it's really showing.  They're losing both top talent and top events.  NBA finals and half the playoffs, plus the BCS and bowl games.  The tennis Slams?  Tennis isn't that big.  But no NCAA men's tournament.  Almost no baseball playoffs.  Almost no NFL playoffs...I think they get 1 wild card game.  MNF is expensive as hell, too;  NBC has the massive sweetheart deal, as they can flex games into Sunday night.  I wonder if MNF has run its course, honestly.  

BUT, by the same token, I don't think ESPN can afford to lose MNF.

Quick positive news...Alex Smith is now out of the hospital.  That tells me the infection's cleared away, and the healing path should be clear now.

Raiders...well yeah.  What would life be without drama with the Raiders?  But hey, they love the image of misfits and rebels.  Al Davis showed his colors twice...by yanking the team out of Oakland, then LA.  And Mark isn't any better.  I get that Oakland has probems as a home base;  the A's have been complaining for a very long time too.  So push come to shove, everyone's to blame.  A one year deal bites;  there's no good answer if they leave the Coliseum, and all the issues with the Coliseum would still be there in a last desperate year.

1 hour ago, Starlord said:

You'd think with technology these days they could throw an extra ref upstairs in the booth or something making immediate calls easily seen by the camera.  A quick call to a ref and they throw a flag.

There are already too many interruptions for replays.  This would also require a paradigm shift in how the game's called.  The poster boy calls (the egregious offside/false start calls) are not reviewable because they don't want to drag things out with marginal call/no-call decisions.  The problem is when we've got these absolutely HORRIBLE calls that 75,000 of the 75,007 people in the stadium ALL see...the 7 that miss it, of course, being the refs.

To Cancer's point:  the *blatantly obvious* missed calls have affected games.  Couple that with the severe ambiguity about legal/illegal hits of all types, and you get the STRONG feeling that the refs are deciding too many games.  I'd also say it's not purely an NFL officiating problem.  In MLB and NBA, it's quick-trigger ejections and technicals...where the ref is felt to be injecting his ego into the game.  Many fans are multi-sport fans, and I think there is crossover in play here.

On 11/13/2018 at 11:15 AM, Starlord said:

Nathan Peterman finally released.

FYI, according to Pro Football Focus, Peterman has a 36.4 passer rating from a clean pocket this year.

You get a 39.6 for spiking the ball every play.

Nevermind.  Well done, John Gruden.  :rolleyes:

Well, spout out enough predictions and you get lucky once in a while.  NFL.com is reporting Cam Newton's being shut down for the remainder of the season.

And yeah, I just saw that on the FS1 crawl...you know you're desperate when watching St. John's vs. St. Francis (Brooklyn) college hoops...and you're 3000 miles away from NYC and NOT Catholic. :)  Hey, Gruden just signed him to the practice squad.  That's a no-risk situation, and costs almost nothing.  Practice squad pay is only a couple thousand a week.

In other news....oohh, the Saturday games are QUITE important!  Redskins-Titans is huge;  loser is gonna be in desperate shape at best.  Unfortunately, of course, the Skins are still down a QB.  Chargers at Ravens...important, yes.  Competitive???  Remains to be seen.  Not convinced Lamar Jackson's the answer, and the Chargers are probably the 2nd best team in the league.  It is in Baltimore, so hopefully that will keep it competitive.  

And last, does anyone else kinda cringe at what the Ravens are trying with Jackson?  In fear that the kid's gonna get *demolished* with as much intentional running he's doing.  Like a ship sailing through iceberg-infested waters.

4 hours ago, Badger said:

Wait, Gruden actually did sign Peterman?

Now if he brings in Paxton Lynch, my predicted QB tandem will be complete.

Signed to the practice squad.  He's not even eligible to be on a gameday roster there.  That's pretty much positions 54-63.  Heck, giving him a chance to maybe learn there is reasonable.  Doesn't cost much, doesn't commit to anything.

It would appear likely Josh Gordon's career is now over.  Back on the indefinite suspension list for violating the terms of his reinstatement from drug suspensions.  He was out for 3 years before, and the process to get reinstated is never gonna get easier with more violations.  That said, well, hopefully he can solve his problems.  

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

So I'm watching Texans/Eagles.  Watson darts left, makes a sweet move, and scores untouched.  Texans kicker then misses the extra point.  

Now we get to things.  OF COURSE, the announcer goes "yet another miss, it's an epidemic" or something like that.  You know the tripe.  Yes, well, fine.  Let's go find out, shall we?  Stats are easy to find.  Kicking stats...copy, paste into spreadsheet, format, isolate.  BOOM.

image.png.de898a771cbcd84083e31fdc4181b106.png

Even the 2 worst?  One's 26 of 30, one's 20 of 23.  3rd worst is 41 of 46, and that's a bit more troubling.  But by and large?  The percentage is over 94%.  Field goals from 30-39?  Almost identical.  And historically, a couple years I've checked...30-39 FGs run right at that 94-95%.

I dropped a handful of kickers with 15 or fewer attempts.  Of those, 4 of em would RAISE the numbers...8,, 8, 10, and 15 attempts, no misses.  There were 2 *bad* kickers...Caleb Sturgis was 9/15 (and only 9/13 on FGs) and Zane Gonzalez was only 7/9 on PATs and 5/9 on FGs.  Bad combo.  But they're both gone, and can easily be called "not NFL-quality kickers."  

Now, ok, when it was from the 2...the PAT rate ran over 99%.  Moving it back has, I'd say, done the intended job...just that little bit of uncertainty.  The perception that it's an epidemic is selective memory.

There is no D in New York......

Giants offense does pretty good, but defense gives up 3 fairly long TD drives in the second half.  Up 10 at halftine, socre 10 yourself, and lose.  NOT good.

Jets...wow.  Unreal.  Up 15 to open the 4th.  Give up FG, TD, TD and 2 pointer.  Green Bay botches kickoff coverage;  not sure exactly, but the kickoff only went to the 11 and they gave up 50 on the return.  So the Jets tie it.  Only to have GB take the kickoff and ram it right into the end zone.  Game over.  Last 4 possessions, not counting getting the ball back after the tying FG when there was no time, all scores.  FG and 3 TDs, and a crucial 2 pointer.

Ugh.  Not only are the stupid Cowboys in the playoffs, they'll have to be favorites, in Jerryland, to win the first one.  Well, we can hope they live down to expectation.