2018-19 NFL Thread.

Enforcer84

41 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

My, my.

"Defense wins championships" is BS.

However, a severely deficient defense does not win championships.  KC's secondary is abysmal, and...who knows.  It may cost them now, given that their offensive diversity is so reduced.  They're not scoring with quite the same efficiency as early in the year;  defenses finally rounding into shape is another factor there too.  That means the defense needs to be merely adequate.  Fine, they had sacks, they got pressures...but they caved repeatedly, and gave up 2 late TDs while showing not much resistance.

Chiefs have to go to Seattle, which is a tricky game to handicap.  Seattle plays the Niners, so they should win and move to 9-5.  That's enough to clich a tie for the 6 seed no matter what;  dunno where head to head tiebreaks are, but beating the Niners gives them the better conference record guaranteed.    In my book, it's a contender/pretender game...if the Chiefs are real SB contenders, they need to win a game like this.  If they lose.....they're in a world of hurt.  Chargers have to beat the Ravens...and then a rivalry game in Denver, but the Broncos may well be eliminated.

Amusing thought.  An all-LA SB is plausible.  Rather a long shot, but plausible.

I feel defense wins championships is partly true.

As in you cant win if you cant score, but a good defense sure takes a lot of pressure off the offense.

14 minutes ago, Badger said:

I feel defense wins championships is partly true.

As in you cant win if you cant score, but a good defense sure takes a lot of pressure off the offense.

Sure, but that's not what the aphorism says.  It goes much further.  It's saying you need an elite defense to win.  Hooey.  An elite defense and a poor offense can win, but IMO ONLY IF they create negative plays out the wazoo.  Turnovers will tend to come from that, enough to do what you want, but if you're constantly winning the field position battle by 5-10 yards on every change of possession, you'll get the points even without the TOs.  But it's not necessary.

The problem with KC and the Rams is, those defenses are VERY far from good.  Heck, the 2 point play that won the game...what happened?  A terrible defensive screw-up.  At this point in the season?  That says it can't be fixed, and mistakes lose more games than good plays win games.

BTW, I loved going for the win.  Not because it worked.  At the crux, you want your best against their worst...and the KC defense is for sure their weak side by a massive margin.  Some postgame comments were, well in that situation...late TD, 2 pointer to win the game over kicking for the tie...the success rate's bad, it's only 5 outta 17.  That's idionalysis.  If you're playing the Texans, you kick.  If you're playing the Rams or Chiefs, you go for 2.  It's a root flaw with decision-making based on aggregate stats, when those stats may not take the specific factors in play in the moment.

On December 10, 2018 at 8:16 PM, unclevlad said:

After that debacle...

Given that the Vikes can't afford to touch Kirk Cousins...not with what they pay him...Mike Zimmer has no chance of surviving the axe once their season's over, IMO.  The Vikes' offense was offensive, all right.

Seems Seattle did something they hadn't shown before, and the Viking offense was utterly unprepared

With a chance to make a play for a playoff spot, the Donkeys have now lost consecutive games to two of the worst teams in the NFL, the 49ers and the Browns.

I wonder if Vance Joseph is going to make it to the end of the season. For that matter, I wonder if Vance Joseph is going to make it to Monday evening.

Of course, with John Elway's recent poor track record of draft picks and the fight among the Bowlen heirs for control of the franchise, Vance Joseph is hardly the only weak link here.

You can't say the Browns are one of the league's worst teams.  Niners, yes;  they're bottom 5 material.  But Browns are, I dunno, ranking 20-23 or so this year.  They aren't good, but they're not donking up the joint since they canned Hue.  

Oh  my.

https://www.silverandblackpride.com/2018/12/12/18138048/hue-jackson-kiss-of-death-teams-he-has-coached-raiders-to-face-him-second-time-this-season-bengals

They point out that...ever since the Bengals hired Hue the Wonder Dog...they're winless.  

I *believe* the Broncos can be eliminated if the Steelers and Ravens both win.  Obviously KC, LAC, NE, and Houston can't be caught;  Pitt win means their worst record is 8-7-1;  and Ravens have head to head tie break because they beat Denver.  Denver's also in bad shape in conferance tie breaker.  If Denver does get knocked out...yeah, Joseph might get canned.   Long as they're technically alive, I don't see it.  

Actually there's rules in place for interviewing assistant coaches.  I know it's allowed during the bye week for the top seeds, I don't remember any other ins and outs.  The only thing you'd get something of a head start on is narrowing the field of candidates;  interviewing during the season would be tampering, I'm pretty sure.

And of course, you can consider plucking up a college HC, and there's a decent number of worn-out loser coaches where you can go the retread route.

Interesting comment made during the Broncos-Browns game yesterday. He pointed out that pretty much all of the Broncos' current offensive skill players--quarterback, two of the three running backs, both tight ends, and the large majority of the receiving corps--weren't with the Broncos last year.  Hard to build any kind of continuity that way.

Meanwhile, the Vikings could do no wrong in the first quarter against the Dolphins.  They went away from that and did nothing right in the 2nd and first 3 minutes of the third.  They just put together two sacks and a third-down stop and a big punt return.

Consistency is not them.

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

FiveThirtyEight shows Denver is eliminated.  So the Vance Joseph Countdown Clock has to be considered running.  Among others.

CBS confirms that the Broncos are out.

I'll be surprised if Vance Joseph is still the Broncos' head coach on Tuesday morning.