The Academics Thread

Pariah

well, I am speaking more as history seems to be a subject that has become an afterthought.  

Edit: even in my time, well I learned absolutely nothing about Vietnam in any history class, a very minimal of Korea.  The school year ended when we reached 1945.  Nearly everything I learned post-1945, was purely on my interest in history.

Edit: Well, we did learn about Civil Rights during Black History Month, of course.  So, I guess not completely.  But, still pretty shameful overall how they did it.  But, it always frustrated me, how the subject that I was most attuned, and I was interested in and loved, was so shoddily treated.

The US History books that I used in high school went up to the point of Nixon's re-election. The books also stayed in the classroom, and we only read from them occasionally. We would usually get a slide show with a very interesting commentary* from one of the two co-teachers, but for a week, we participated in a simulation.

The teachers split up the class into four groups, and then assigned leaders. I was assigned as the leader of one of the factions in a small country's civil war, and one of my friends was put on the team for my more powerful ally. The first day, we were limited to "diplomatic" channels, which meant that I had to pass messages to the other side through my ally. After the first day, that requirement changed, and I was allowed to directly negotiate with any faction. I negotiated for troop withdrawals by the opposing superpower, while at the same time, quietly moved troops from my ally into my territory. By the fourth day, I had ended the civil war, and had driven the opposing forces into the sea. Day 5 was an analysis of what we had done, and the historical context. I had been playing under the impression that I was controlling North Vietnam, but it turned out that my faction was actually modeled on North Korea. It was an interesting way to cover the Korean War, and its aftermath.

*"And here is Dolly Madison, a great woman entrepreneur, who had the first fleet of trucks that delivered baked goods throughout the South."

2 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

The US History books that I used in high school went up to the point of Nixon's re-election. The books also stayed in the classroom, and we only read from them occasionally. We would usually get a slide show with a very interesting commentary* from one of the two co-teachers, but for a week, we participated in a simulation.

The teachers split up the class into four groups, and then assigned leaders. I was assigned as the leader of one of the factions in a small country's civil war, and one of my friends was put on the team for my more powerful ally. The first day, we were limited to "diplomatic" channels, which meant that I had to pass messages to the other side through my ally. After the first day, that requirement changed, and I was allowed to directly negotiate with any faction. I negotiated for troop withdrawals by the opposing superpower, while at the same time, quietly moved troops from my ally into my territory. By the fourth day, I had ended the civil war, and had driven the opposing forces into the sea. Day 5 was an analysis of what we had done, and the historical context. I had been playing under the impression that I was controlling North Vietnam, but it turned out that my faction was actually modeled on North Korea. It was an interesting way to cover the Korean War, and its aftermath.

*"And here is Dolly Madison, a great woman entrepreneur, who had the first fleet of trucks that delivered baked goods throughout the South."

Well, our history books did go into the 1980s or at least 1970s (I probably should have said that) but it always got cut for time as it were.  (I always read ahead on my own, so I still knew a bit on Korea, anyway.  For some reason, I never did so Vietnam)

I just know most other students probably didn't care enough, so probably still to this day know less than they should (unless it got covered in their college years,  which was significantly better in my own experience at covering that time period, as I was implying more the "required" of high school, rather than the more "voluntary" of college).

Interestingly, I think the most I actually learned in any given history class, was when I took Art history in college.  Since, I really never cared much for art before*, it was like looking at the history I knew from entirely different perspective.  Fascinating, really.

*I can barely draw a straight line, so art is most certainly not a talent, and I even so much as loathed art&crafts in my youth, so an Art history class actually gave me also the ability to appreciate what art brought, even if I could come near to grasping the ability it takes to perform it.

I forget when our high school history curriculum ended (FWIW, Nixon resigned three months after I graduated from high school).  I don't think we made it into WWI, either in US or world history.  State history is a bad joke.

Let's see:  consulting divination by means of random numbers, this seems appropriate.

33. TUN / Retreat

The power of the dark is ascending. The light retreats to security, so that the dark cannot encroach upon it. This retreat is a matter not of man's will but of natural law. Therefore in this case withdrawal is proper; it is the correct way to behave in order not to exhaust one's forces. In the calendar this hexagram is linked with the sixth month (July-August), in which the forces of winter are already showing their influence.

THE JUDGMENT

RETREAT.  Success.

In what is small, perseverance furthers.

Conditions are such that the hostile forces favored by the time are advancing. In this case retreat is the right course, and it is not to be confused with flight. Flight means saving oneself under any circumstances, whereas retreat is a sign of strength.  [...]

THE LINES

Six at the beginning means: At the tail in retreat. This is dangerous. One must not wish to undertake anything.

3 hours ago, Cancer said:

It has taken me less than 10% of the papers to decide that yes, once again, electric potential is unfathomable to the minds of life science students.

So, basically life science students during thunderstorm:

"God is angry at us, sacrifice a chicken"

Edit: sadly, judging from the students he gets, God is only angry at cancer