Advice on a Street Gang antagonist.

Killerclown

I am thinking about purchasing one of The Champions editions. While thinking up antagonists, I came up with a street gang Called The Tornadoes. The Tornadoes are a street gang consisted of middle-class punks and trust-fund babies doing the life of a gang-banger for fun and for some quick cash. They are mostly based in the more-well off areas of Millennium City and are easily recognizable by their uniform, which consists of a Blue Sweater with a Tornado image on it, blue jeans, and brown shoes. Can i have some advice on how to make this gang a threat to superhero PCs?

20 minutes ago, Killerclown said:

I am thinking about purchasing one of The Champions editions. While thinking up antagonists, I came up with a street gang Called The Tornadoes. The Tornadoes are a street gang consisted of middle-class punks and trust-fund babies doing the life of a gang-banger for fun and for some quick cash. They are mostly based in the more-well off areas of Millennium City and are easily recognizable by their uniform, which consists of a Blue Sweater with a Tornado image on it, blue jeans, and brown shoes. Can i have some advice on how to make this gang a threat to superhero PCs?

1) There is bound to be a mutant or two in the gang. Don't make to many a mutant, cause that will destroy your credibility.

2 ) Trust fund babies can afford some of the best equipment/weapons ARGENT makes. Give it to them.

3) Martial arts are a great equalizer.

4) Make sure your heroes are built with the lowest number of points.

5) Huge numbers.

1. Remember, not all threats are physical ones. Trust fund kids with too much time or money on their hands could make life a living nightmare for Heros, super or no, if they can get some dirt on one of them. 

2. All the shiny bitz. Steriaca said it best. Give them the best that ARGENT can give. And not just that, give them a few weird niche devices. These are punks looking for a quick buck by flashing their stuff. Something weird and unexpected is an easy way to do that. 

3. As a Supplier. With the cash that these guys could float around, them hiring some actual muscle would not be too impossible. Have them run as a supplier for a few more influential gangs that couldn't get their hands on The Tornado's gear if their life depended on it. Also, Villain networking. Woo.

4. Smash and grabs. With enough numbers these lot  could cover a few city blocks quick and easy. Have them spread out and use their litany of off-the-wall gear to hide. Hero's can't be everywhere at once, and certainly some of them will get away with their various stealth equipment. A threat to a reputation and feeling of safety as dangerous as a smoking gun, if handled properly. 

10 hours ago, steriaca said:

Martial arts are a great e

10 hours ago, steriaca said:

1) There is bound to be a mutant or two in the gang. Don't make to many a mutant, cause that will destroy your credibility.

2 ) Trust fund babies can afford some of the best equipment/weapons ARGENT makes. Give it to them.

3) Martial arts are a great equalizer.

amen

15 minutes ago, Killerclown said:

Good advice so far. One other idea I had is to make a past incarnation of them a former enemy of a member of The Champions. I wonder which Champion, past or present would've made a fitting foe for a gang of spoiled punks and how they could've resurfaced years later?

Well, The Fat Man comes to mind, but he was a villain of The Guardians and more directly The Marksman.

He had no real powers. He was just really tough, and honestly rather large, but more Kingpin large than Blob large. Think Elvis smashed in with the Kingpin.

37 minutes ago, Killerclown said:

Sounds like a interesting guy. Also, if i make their former nemesis a Champion, the Nemesis might be either Jaguar depending on what edition i get, Nighthawk, or Withcraft. Though, i do wonder why Witchcraft would have constant fights with a gang of rich punks.

More likely, since Fat Man was a street-level nemesis, it would be Seeker/Jaguar in 4th, and Nighthawk in 5th-6th. If you don't mind his opponent being powered, it could be Kenitic instead.

7 minutes ago, steriaca said:

More likely, since Fat Man was a street-level nemesis, it would be Seeker/Jaguar in 4th, and Nighthawk in 5th-6th. If you don't mind his opponent being powered, it could be Kenitic instead.

Yeah, Kenetic being The Tornado's former nemesis makes sense. Also, i feel tempted to make The Tornado's leader, Chad, the son of Fat Man, who is one one of the people bankrolling the gang, even though Fat Man claims to be retired. 

If you need to build The Fat Man, he has a natural one level of Density Increase Inherit, Always On. He probably also has Knockback Resistance, and perhaps Dirty Infighting and Combat Luck.

It's a combo of being "fat" and tough as being a special effect ("fat" in quotes cause his size acutely hides more mussel than he appears to show).

29 minutes ago, Killerclown said:

I am guessing his son would probably have the same powers.

If you wish...

Or he could be unusually thin and lean. With "reach" Stretching, Knockback Resistance only for damage (not distance), Dirty Infighting skills, and Combat Luck.

Ok...half of that is kinda the same.

Using standard technology:

Guns with rubber bullets.  Change KAs to Blasts.  An assault rifle (2.5d6K) would be doing 8d6N autofire.  A shotgun becomes a beanbag gun.

Flashbang grenades.  6d6 AoE Flash, sight and sound.

Silicon based oil grenade.  Causes anything on the ground to make dex rolls to move.

Tear/Smoke gas.  Darkness to sight with a 3d6 flash all or nothing vs Life support.  They are blind and can't smell in the darkness and even after coming out of the darkness will be blind for a few seconds longer.

Tasers.  My version is a 1d6 RKA with reduced penetration and a +4 STUN mod continuous and an end reserve for about 10+ shocks.

Laughing Gas: Mind Control vs Con, set effect: Laughter.  Based on level effect impairs your abilities to a certain degree.  +0 Just prevents/hinders presence attacks.  +40, the character would be rolling on the floor laughing OCV/DCV 0, no actions.

1 hour ago, starblaze said:

I remember Batman TAS had a trio of bored rich guys who dressed up in animal masks and committed robberies for the thrill.

Those three, Fox, Vulture, and Shark are based on a long-standing minor Batman villain group The Terrible Trio.