College Football 2018-19

Pariah

I think the judge in this case is overreaching.  MInd, I am NO fan of the NCAA, but this ruling feels wrong.  I don't see a "show cause" condition as constituting unlawful restraint.  The guy is found to have broken the rules.  It's an administrative punishment that seems well within the bounds.  

I do agree with rejecting the Pac-12's comments.  Tough noogies, kiddies.  Deal with it.  Besides, if this ruling's upheld, I wouldn't be at all surprised if more challenges start being filed in other states, under any similar laws they've got.  It *is* California, and they do have some unique laws, but this feels like something other states would probably also have.  Oh, and heck, it's not just the Pac-12.  Big West, West Coast, Mountain West for sure.  Div II has a California Collegiate Athletic Association.  Looks like about 25 in Div I and another 20+ in Div II.  

1 hour ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

A Los Angeles judge has found the "show cause" clause in the NCAA disciplinary bylaws is illegal -- at least in California. His reasoning is that California law prohibits "unlawful restraint on engaging in a lawful profession". In this case, it involved a lawsuit brought by a USC assistant football coach whose college career was ruined due to his purported role in the Reggie Bush agent scandal of the early 2000's.

The Pac-12 filed a comment against the coach's case in the suit, on the grounds that college sports in California is in jeopardy if they cannot follow the same NCAA rules everyone else does. The judge dismissed their complaints as "speculative". However, the NCAA and its very deep pockets are appealing the decision.

If laws in California rule out the way college sports are done, then that's binding on the California state schools.  College sports don't fall under the interstate commerce clause because they are legally not commerce: if they were, then student athletes would be employees, and the gross exploitation of them as "students" would be uncompensated work, if not outright involuntary servitude.  The private schools (U$C and Stanford, etc.) may not be subject to the same administrative rules that a state can impose on its subunits (and the U of Cal system is a subunit of the government of the State of California).

2 hours ago, Cancer said:

If laws in California rule out the way college sports are done, then that's binding on the California state schools.  College sports don't fall under the interstate commerce clause because they are legally not commerce: if they were, then student athletes would be employees, and the gross exploitation of them as "students" would be uncompensated work, if not outright involuntary servitude.  The private schools (U$C and Stanford, etc.) may not be subject to the same administrative rules that a state can impose on its subunits (and the U of Cal system is a subunit of the government of the State of California).

Yeah, bad news for Cal and UCLA. Otherwise it's hard to say.

The California judge's ruling was based on labor law, as I read it.  He was saying the NCAA was denying employment improperly.  I'd say that logic would apply to every school in the state, not just the state-run schools.

Also, re-read the details anyway.  The case was about a USC coach, so it clearly is *not* limited to just the state schools.

On 10/10/2018 at 12:01 PM, Pariah said:

A college football-related piece from the local paper:

Doug Robinson: Forbes list reveals immense wealth and disparity in college football

Seriously?  A wealth inequality argument in college football?  He wants the lower programs to break away and form their own playoff.  I guess they can go join the FCS if they want, rake in all that fat cash.  I wonder why those schools aren't rushing to do that.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Starlord said:

Dude. You are Maryland, not Alabama. What are you doing?

10 hours ago, Cancer said:

I know what my response as a faculty member would be.  Not to mention my response as an academic grant officer for a foundation.

Yes indeed.  And apparently Wallace Loh, the Regents' sacrificial lamb, heard it.  Durkin's out on his ass.

BUT doing it this way, he's just terminated.  NOT for cause.  So he's owed $5M or so.  Me, I think this should come out of the pockets of every Regent that pushed to keep him.  Not gonna happen, of course, but one can dream.

Now...is it possible to have yet ANOTHER bootlegger turn here?  Can the Board overrule the university president?  Let's go all in with the sucking up!