College Football 2018-19

Pariah

15 hours ago, novi said:

And the Big Ten West is sinking back into mediocrity.  With Nebraska looking for a new coach for next year at this rate, Wisconsin's at times ugly win over Iowa practically locks them in as the West champs.  Assuming last week's game was the exception, not the rule.  Also, while not as sketchy as the officiating from the last Packers-Viking game, did the Badgers need to get hit with 6 holding penalties?

But in general, why is it that only the handful of teams I don't like living up to expectations for this season?  Stupid 'bama, Ohio, etc...

Well, in baseball I've learned if I have a team I want to win the World Series vs a team I definitely don't.  I just don't watch the World Series.  (learned this lesson in 2014 when my Royals faced my least favorite team the Giants)

I can see by the letter of the rule why Oregon's third-quarter touchdown (that would have made it 31-7 and almost iced the contest) was called back. I also didn't know the pylon was out of bounds. So I can't think what Jaylon Redd did on that play is a mental mistake for which he should be faulted. That said, there is no excuse for the Ducks not punching it in at this point, and certainly not for the turnover that put the Cardinal back in the game..

Stanford was opportunistic. They ruthlessly took advantage of Duck miscues and made fewer miscues of their own.

4 hours ago, Starlord said:

Almost, Syracuse.  Almost.  :(

The fans of a top five team should never, ever rush the field over beating Syracuse in a non-prime time early in the regular season game. Damn Clemson. Hang your collective heads. Just acknowledge your opponent played well and show some dignity.

Yikes.

Anyway, the OU game this week went about as I expected. Scored half a hundred, defense optional, 5-0.

Things get more heated now, as I take leave of my rational thoughts for a week. October 6, here we go. 

images(44).jpg

Well, two road wins against top 11 teams in 3 weeks proved to be too big a challenge for BYU. I wonder if they'll stay in the top 25. 35-7, even against Washington in Seattle, is just not a good look.

Even so, based on last year's disastrous campaign, I think if you'd told most BYU fans at the beginning of this season that they'd be 3-2 after playing Arizona, Cal, Wisconsin, and Washington, they would happily take it.

Boise State and Utah will be challenging games, to be sure, and Utah State next week is a rivalry game that the Aggies won last year, but BYU's schedule softens quite a bit from this point.

5 hours ago, Cancer said:

I don't think he's real sweet on Nebraska, either.

I don't mind the Huskers. There was never the pure animosity in that rivalry, looking forward to playing them again couple years from now.

First OU game I went to was OU-Nebraska, really good time.

The horns on the other hand are clearly the spawn of darkness.

9 hours ago, Badger said:

If Texas plays Alabama, I would have to pull for Texas, sorry if that disappoints you.  

Alabama is mildly annoying at worst. Then again, I probably feel that way because OU always beats them (at least since 1963).

I do like their color scheme. But the chest beating is irritating.

The BCS is always going to be debatable.  There's nowhere near enough interaction between the conferences, and *certainly* not between the "power schools" in them.  Just not enough interconference games to have meaningful sample sizes.

I get the chest-beating, but who doesn't do it?  I object more to schools who do it with no cause...Texas!  USC.  Notre Dame.  Probably throw Michigan in there too.

But #1 on my Loathe List now is OSU.  They're the new poster boys for the Dark Side of big-money college athletics for me.