College Football 2018-19

Pariah

29 minutes ago, Grailknight said:

That's natural. Why you hate Aggies tho?

For myself, I don't hate TAMU. I think they are the weirdest cult like group I've seen in a college football fan base though. Pretty creepy.

I get the army dress up thing, but what's up with the milk man? And "yell practice"? And that weird line up crotch grabbing thing? There's other stuff, but it's a family friendly board.

Just weird, man.

1 hour ago, Iuz the Evil said:

For myself, I don't hate TAMU. I think they are the weirdest cult like group I've seen in a college football fan base though. Pretty creepy.

I get the army dress up thing, but what's up with the milk man? And "yell practice"? And that weird line up crotch grabbing thing? There's other stuff, but it's a family friendly board.

Just weird, man.

That's all traditions of the Corp of Cadets. The guys in white are "yell leaders" and Yell practice  is just a pep rally held a midnight on the day before games( I suspect it was started to keep the student body on campus on Friday nights and out of Bryan/College Station) All these started back when it was an all male military school. Other fun facts, the school admitted blacks before it admitted women.(again military) It's still the country's largest military school even though the Corp is only 5% of the student body. All the food consumed on campus is grown by the school except for soft drinks

42 minutes ago, Grailknight said:

That's all traditions of the Corp of Cadets. The guys in white are "yell leaders" and Yell practice  is just a pep rally held a midnight on the day before games( I suspect it was started to keep the student body on campus on Friday nights and out of Bryan/College Station) All these started back when it was an all male military school. Other fun facts, the school admitted blacks before it admitted women.(again military) It's still the country's largest military school even though the Corp is only 5% of the student body. All the food consumed on campus is grown by the school except for soft drinks

Yeah, I'm familiar with the rationales behind the traditions like burying a dog where it can see the score of the game, and no female cheerleaders. It's just weird though. Nobody outside TAMU seems to understand it, but hey - whatever makes folks happy.

2 hours ago, Grailknight said:

That's natural. Why you hate Aggies tho?

Sorry, my misunderstanding. No, I don't hate the Aggies. I just don't normally think about them. If I'm looking at a slate of college football games I want to watch on any given Saturday, A&M isn't what usually comes to my mind. But they're all right. My dad was an ag guy in Colorado, and he worked with a lot of good people from Texas A&M.

6 hours ago, Grailknight said:

Why you hate us? We grow food and design highways and launch rockets.

Given the highways I've driven on, you might have answered your own question. ;)

Note: Though for me, I don't care one way or another about TX A&M, I'm too far east to see more than 2 of their games a decade.  

6 hours ago, Pariah said:

Sorry, my misunderstanding. No, I don't hate the Aggies. I just don't normally think about them. If I'm looking at a slate of college football games I want to watch on any given Saturday, A&M isn't what usually comes to my mind. But they're all right. My dad was an ag guy in Colorado, and he worked with a lot of good people from Texas A&M.

THey did fascinate me as a 6-8 year old what with & in the name, and not knowing what an "Aggie" could be.   Come on I was little.  

Well, the Ducks seem to have mastered the art of snatching defeat from the very jaws of victory.

This loss (in overtime to Stanford) may be the final nail in the coffin of Oregon's claim to be a national power. The program has been in serious decline for the last four years, and it seems pretty clear that they have been decisively passed up by Washington and Stanford. Nike money is no longer going to be enough to attract the sort of talent to Oregon that can justify the hype machine. That it happened on the ABC game is simply showing the entire football world how naked the emperor really is.

BYU looked frankly unspectacular in today's 30-3 win over McNeese State.  Yes, McNeese State is ranked in the top 10 in FCS, and yes, they certainly have some athletes. But BYU's three touchdowns all came on short fields--two from turnovers and one from a blocked punt that was run back. Otherwise, the offense was held to three field goals. Not a promising performance with Washington looming in Seattle next week.

And as for Colorado State: How in the pluperfect Hell do you beat Arkansas, and then 2 weeks later lose to Illinois State?

Actually, I think I know the answer:  Arkansas is a really bad football team.

And so, it appears, is Colorado State.

And the Big Ten West is sinking back into mediocrity.  With Nebraska looking for a new coach for next year at this rate, Wisconsin's at times ugly win over Iowa practically locks them in as the West champs.  Assuming last week's game was the exception, not the rule.  Also, while not as sketchy as the officiating from the last Packers-Viking game, did the Badgers need to get hit with 6 holding penalties?

But in general, why is it that only the handful of teams I don't like living up to expectations for this season?  Stupid 'bama, Ohio, etc...

9 hours ago, Pariah said:

Wait, Oregon lost that game?

Sink me.

They had a bad turnover at the end of regulation that allowed Stanford to kick a tying field goal. Then they got picked in the end zone in overtime after Stanford had scored a touchdown in their go.

I imagine your next words on the topic will be "glub glub glub".

Which proves my point. real elite programs do not lose these games in these ways. It used to be the Autzen was a fortress. Now? Not so much.