Fictional Martial Arts

Ninja-Bear

A couple of years after the Remo Williams movie came out one of my players did a Chuin “Master of Sinanju” character. The way he did it was to make a point of not having ANY martial arts.  Instead of dodge he had desolid, with incantations. (“You missed”, “The seasons move faster!”, “You move like a baboon with two club feet!” etc.)

He couldn’t throw a punch to save his life, but went through Viper agents like a tornado thru a trailer park. One of the most unusual and creative write-ups I ever saw.

In short (too late) be creative in your choices, one of the best things about this system is it’s flexibility.

I created a martial art designed to evade and escape from opponents, rather than defeat them in combat. It was taught by the thieves guild in a fantasy game. It had (IIRC), Martial Block, Martial Dodge, Passing Throw, Martial Escape, and Martial Disarm. I never came up with a name I was happy with, though.

34 minutes ago, Lucius said:

The palindromedary still wants a martial art for quadrapeds.

Didn’t Western Hero or Fantasy Hero have stats for trained horses to strike out with their hooves at, and charge full speed (move thru) into bad guys?

5 minutes ago, Ninja-Bear said:

Sounds interesting. Could you explain more? Never heard of it.

Panzer Kunst -- "armor art" in German -- was in-Universe created by Martian separatists for taking advantage of cutting-edge humanoid full-body cyborgs, mostly for fighting other cyborgs. Alita's world is very much a Crapsack World, in both the original manga and even more so in the follow-up Last Order. I haven't really analyzed the technique in Hero terms, but it is pretty much the ultimate hard martial art -- high Damage output, KAs, Dodges, and Blades as a Weapon Element.

3 hours ago, L. Marcus said:

Panzer Kunst -- "armor art" in German -- was in-Universe created by Martian separatists for taking advantage of cutting-edge humanoid full-body cyborgs, mostly for fighting other cyborgs. Alita's world is very much a Crapsack World, in both the original manga and even more so in the follow-up Last Order. I haven't really analyzed the technique in Hero terms, but it is pretty much the ultimate hard martial art -- high Damage output, KAs, Dodges, and Blades as a Weapon Element.

Offhand, I would adapt Mist Viper Ninjitsu. It’s a brutal (high damage) martial art.