The Master List Superdraft

Sociotard

2 minutes ago, Sociotard said:

I'm on Monster Island, I better introduce a monster or two.

Character: Tundro (Tundro

Auugh, I was literally typing and missed it by a minute.

Fine, Raspberry Lizard is now a resident of Monster Island. I needed to have a local.

What can I say? Pickings were getting slim! And I actually kind of LIKE Tundro, he's the cranky Herculoid

3 hours ago, Sociotard said:

I'm on Monster Island, I better introduce a monster or two.

Character: Tundro (Tundro

Auugh, I was literally typing and missed it by a minute.

Fine, Raspberry Lizard is now a resident of Monster Island. I needed to have a local.

"For 'tis the sport to have the engineer hoist with his own petard; and 't shall go hard, but I will delve one yard below their mines, and blow them at the moon."

-Prince Hamlet

I Remember...

Chapter One

How did we wind up here?

“Barricade that door!”

The butler and pilot slid the heaviest objects they could to barricade the door in a desperate ploy, hoping that it would hold.  They both knew how hopeless the situation was, but they were not ready to give up hope.

My lord, please forgive my cursed soul for the sin that I will be forced to commit.  

“This is my fault,” the pilot fumed after doing what he could to brace the entrance.  

“Sir Blackhawk,” said the butler.  “That is utter nonsense. The plane was crashing.  The only reason we are still alive is because of your skill as a pilot.”

“Alfred is correct, Blackhawk,” said Gabriel Van Helsing, peeking out the window.  He could see the fiery remains of the plane that the three of them had been in. The escape was not quite successful.   As the sun set on the horizon, Van Helsing saw the fog begin to form around the area. He knew what that meant.

“Is there any way to communicate with the outside world?” asked Alfred.

To the outside observer, Alfred Pennyworth appeared to be an English butler, but his facade hid more than that.  Skills that he kept hidden from the world for unknown reasons. 

“There is none, Alfred,” said Van Helsing.  “This may have to be where we make our last stand.”

“I don’t mean to be the wet blanket here, Van Helsing, but you do know where we are, right?” asked Blackhawk.  “This may not be the most ideal place for a final stand.”

The Alamo.  An iconic site.  A story that all three men remembered.

“The irony has not escaped me,” said Van Helsing, “but we do not have any other choice.”

The fog thickened with each passing second surrounding the San Antonio landmark, a location known for the brave but doomed.  

“This is not the Mexican Army surrounding us,” said Alfred.

Few know that better than I.

Gabriel Van Helsing was a lonely man.  A man who was rarely in the company of allies.  His internal distress was constant, a hatred of what he had to become in order to continue to battle the monsters of the world.  His prayers, he believed, would fall upon deaf ears, but he continued to make them. Pray for his soul. Pray for his fate. Pray for the strength to do what was needed.  He choked down the contempt with each desperate prayer, no longer backed with faith. Then….

REMEMBER

“What did you say?” Van Helsing said, turning to his companions.

“What?  We didn’t say anything,” responded Blackhawk.  

Neither of them had said what he had heard.  Van Helsing glanced around the Alamo. Shaking his head, he peered out the window.  The fog was so thick that you could hardly see anything… the remaining light from the retreating sun nearly blotted from view.  Van Helsing's blood ran cold.

“Be ready,” said Van Helsing.  “It’s almost time.”

The good news is that I might not have to let anybody draft from their own contribution; there are no clear outliers for players with heroes left on the board. We have:

Cancer

Hulk - He's flexible folks! Not only is he an A-lister, but he has dozens of versions. Savage Hulk? Professor Hulk? You can treat him like a natural disaster or a tragic hero. Whatever you need, there's a Hulk for you.

Martian Manhunter - He's a powerhouse on par with Superman with a wild and fun powerset.

csyphrett

Firearm - Make James Bond turn into Sam Spade while dealing with Superpowered people with no powers of his own, and you get this guy. Any team can do better with a sleuth, and this one has an amusing wit besides.

Solitaire - His crime-boss father gave him superpowers, and didn't expect him to turn into a hero sworn to take his father down. Solitaire is a weapon master and general action hero

death tribble

Coda Assassin - Female characters have been popular this draft. Don't miss out on this relentless badass.

The Karate Kid - Remember, this isn't Daniel-san. This is the one from the future who mastered all known styles.

Dr. MID-Nite

Enchantress - a classic A-list villain

Pariah

Jack Frost - It may not be a hard-boiled egg, but kids like what he does

The Spirit of '76 - This is your last chance for a flagsuit character, folks

Psybolt

Werewolf by night - Here's a character that remembers that being a werewolf is a tragic path, a curse, but also turns it to heroism. violent heroism, but hey, there you go.

I Remember

Chapter Two

Fog. 

Thick.  Nearly immobilizing the city of San Antonio.

That was the purpose.

It was not immobilizing the figure strolling through the fog, the blue flames burning from his skull.  You could not tell, but he was Daemonite. His current Acurian body was considerably different from the lizard-like body that was common among his race.  He never went back. This form was powerful.  

Power was what he wanted.  Power is what he desired. That was what he was after.  There were three men inside the building before him that would lead him to that power.  Staring through the fog to the flames that were consuming the plane that had crashed near the legendary building.  He did not know the legend of the Alamo, but, if he had, he may have appreciated the irony.

“Lord Helspont,” said a random Daemonite, looking at the man standing hidden a few feet in the fog behind Helspont.  He knew the hatred Helspont had for these humans. Yet it was not the human that was causing the concern from the Daemonite.  “Why have you recruited these blood suckers just to control the human? The Daemonites can control the human better than the vampi-- “

Lord Helspont snatched the Daemonite before he could finish his statement, his powerful grasp clamping around the Daemonite’s throat.  He picked him off the ground.

“You dare question me?” Helspont said, the bolt of enhanced energy traveling through his hand and into the body of the Daemonite.  The creature twitched in Helspont’s grasp as the energy fried him from inside. The ashes tumbled to the ground and Helspont calmly brushed them off his hand.

“That was cold.”

Helspont did not turn to the voice.  Through the fog flew the vampire. Baron Blood landed beside him.

“Not saying that I didn’t like it,” Baron Blood said, his fangs punctuating his smile.  “I can confirm that the vessels are inside the building. Everything is ready.”

“Good,” said Helspont.

“Remember…  Lord… you promised me Van Helsing once you are finished with him.”

“I remember.”

And today I will select...Solitaire.

Solitaire-Ultraverse-Comics.jpg

But this is Mirror Mirror Universe Solitaire. He's not out to take down his father's criminal empire. He's out to take over. And he has enlisted Green Goblin and Sinestro to help him.

2 minutes ago, Pariah said:

...and that's everyone for csyphrett. I wonder who the last character from the Master List will be. One of mine, probably.

And who would have guessed that Hulk, Martian Manhunter and Karate Kid would be on the last day?

Those are pretty big names.  They just must not fit into the different story concepts.

I'll draft the Hulk. The most savage, mindless hulk available. I'll say he was relocated here after turning into a natural disaster again, where he can frolic with the other monsters. Razzberry lizard is helpful in that he can help the heroes stay out of Hulks stomping path.

2 minutes ago, Psybolt said:

And who would have guessed that Hulk, Martian Manhunter and Karate Kid would be on the last day?

Those are pretty big names.  They just must not fit into the different story concepts.

I have never been a big Hulk fan. He's had good runs, good stories and good moments, but he's not even in my top 20 of favorite marvel superheroes.

I actually LIKE the Martian Manhunter... but I have Superman and only wanted one 'omg how many points is he built on' type :)

Karate Kid is kind like the Hulk. Little against him, but otherwise meh

Enchantress, too. 

It has been interesting to see how this draft has shaken out. There have been some really cool story concepts, resulting in some lesser-known characters being picked instead of old favorites. Having such a limited pool of characters has really complicated things too. Honestly, I'm surprised that half the characters I have were still available when they were. 

It's been a lot of fun.

3 minutes ago, Hermit said:

I have never been a big Hulk fan. He's had good runs, good stories and good moments, but he's not even in my top 20 of favorite marvel superheroes.

I actually LIKE the Martian Manhunter... but I have Superman and only wanted one 'omg how many points is he built on' type :)

Karate Kid is kind like the Hulk. Little against him, but otherwise meh

The Immortal Hulk is one of my favorite comics of the last two years.  It writes Hulk as a horror creature, almost Devil-like.  It is so great.

Karate Kid always seems to be popular here on the board which is why I mentioned him.