World Creation Superdraft 4: May 2020

On 5/14/2020 at 2:21 PM, death tribble said:

Interference: Addiction to the nature of the God

Fox observed this. As god of free will and independence, he now realized he was something of a bulwark against this move though it would still do some damage. He didn't care for being a bulwark, it smacked of responsibility , and he looked at the other gods, some understandably upset, some seemingly apathetic, "I don't suppose any of you are going to FIX this?"

Tasha never liked how Shayol could make her feel.  Now, he had made a move, calculating and wicked, for sure.

Tasha expected some of the other gods may take steps to attempt to preempt this evil...and she had some plans as well.  She was trying to decide how she could make a counter here without dropping to Shayol's level.  

But before she did anything to interfere with the God of Evil, she needed geography.  And what better...

Tasha had been uncomfortable with the spiral shape of the world, but she thought of a way.  Rainbows, of course.

Tasha created solid rainbows, around the outskirts of the spiral, that would connect to golden floating land around the screw.  The rainbows go from the top of the well to the bottom.  Though the rainbows do not connect to the actual spiral, it provided a bridge around it.

Geography: Rainbow Bridges

The Rainbow Bridge: Pet Poem and Meaning | I Loved My Pet Blog

I would point out that as Shayol cannot get rid of Foxhair Weed, the other gods cannot get rid of Addiction. They can alleviate and heal addicts but you cannot get rid of addiction..

Besides it does not affect all followers. Shayol recognised that. And he still has choices to use.

Besides it was Fox who gave Shayol the idea and prodded him into action.

Hermit's post about me still hanging on to selections ignited an idea so it's all his fault.

Cancer has 4 choices left

csyphrett has 1 choice left

Dshomshak has 4 choices left

Hermit has 5 choices left

Log has 3 choices left

L Marcus has 2 choices left

Lucius has 5 choices left

Old Man has 2 choices left

Psybolt has 1 choice left

Sociotard has 4 choices left

And I have 5 choices left.

I'm waiting on a specific geography pick

Particular thanks to csyphrett, Psybolt, L Marcus and Old Man for nearing completion.

Ah! Thank you, I was going to ask what the time frame was for completion. I believe I've worked out all my choices, but I've held back to see what other people were doing. Half the fun is riffing off other people's ideas.

Kylvn observes Shayol's work with new displeasure. An initial thought of how to respond in mitigation is rejected, as Shayol's curse would too easily twist it to the opposite end.

But he does reflect that shared displeasure may prompt various gods to work together in opposing the curse. Since I have found that one of Kylvn's goals, as God of Order, is to reunite and stabilize what Inscissivus has cut apart, this pleases him. Shayol may have furthered this goal. He raises his glass to Shayol and smiles slightly. (Or maybe it's to Tasha. Like he said, he has trouble telling them apart.)

Dean Shomshak

Correction: I have three picks left, seeing as I was awarded one by dice?, I think.

One of these picks is A Mineral: Adamantite! A stone that is almost impossible to even scratch with common tools, it can be manipulated by magic. It is found everywhere in Helix -- it's the reason the whole shmear hasn't collapsed in on itself already. It is the core of the turns, and the walls may have a layer of ordinary rock and sky-stuff on them, but if you try to tunnel into them you will strike adamantite sooner or later. It is jet black with gold and silver flakes embedded, and it can be polished to an oily, opalescent luster. There are cities that have walls made of the stuff, and those walls have never been taken down.

Death's decisions are final. They are neutral and fair although to many they may seem cruel. Death makes the ultimate arbiter, whether it's a game or a civil dispute. Working closely with the gods of justice and order, Eternus is the God of Judgment. 

Secondary Domain: Judgment 

========================================

Log God Eternus, God of Death

• Geography. The Infinite Staircase

• Sentient Life. Humans

• Gift to Civilization. Chess and Games of Skill

• Fauna: The Undead

• Interference: .  

• Mythic Monster or Guardian. The Banshee

• Secondary Domain:  Memory

• Secondary Domain: Judgment 

• Secondary Domain / Option.

People think of death as grim and joyless. Eternus has a lesser known side, one that some disbelieve, but his followers understand the seeming contradiction. While there is a god of ordered sound, Eternus claims the actual act of dance. Claiming this as interference because they are so closely related. His high priests must be capable of being great dancers. 

Interference: The act of Dance

I'll put in my geography tonight when I get home, or tomorrow in the morning. I'm still trying to think what I can add.

We have a spiral type world with a tree in the middle of it with rainbows circling the edges. A stairway to the gods is located somewhere, but I am not sure where. Rivers go up the spiral towards the top which means people can reach the top if they can sail long enough. Oceans and volcanoes/mountains are implied as a topological feature, but not really specified. Did I miss anything?

CES 

1 minute ago, csyphrett said:

I'll put in my geography tonight when I get home, or tomorrow in the morning. I'm still trying to think what I can add.

We have a spiral type world with a tree in the middle of it with rainbows circling the edges. A stairway to the gods is located somewhere, but I am not sure where. Rivers go up the spiral towards the top which means people can reach the top if they can sail long enough. Oceans and volcanoes/mountains are implied as a topological feature, but not really specified. Did I miss anything?

CES 

You have made all your picks to date. Your next pick would be Monday.

Ten days. Ten picks.

... We don't have a magic system!

The world has two halves: the realm of matter and the realm of spirits. They lie side by side, and in the case of living beings they work together. They influence each other, and just as there is base matter without spirit, there are spirits unattached to matter. But incorporeal spirits have no motive to act upon matter -- what use does a lone soul have of, say, a fire? But there are people who have the facility to speak with spirits, and have them effect the world of matter on their behalf. Mages, necromancers, shamans, witches ... And for the god Liminus the boundary and interface between matter and spirit is the ultimate border.

My last Domain: Spirit Magic!

On 5/9/2020 at 12:11 PM, death tribble said:

It was not until I read through the description again and pronounced the sentient race that I suddenly realised you could say it was the same as lawyers. It fits for the Evil god. But I assure everyone that i did not do the whole evil god bit to make one joke about lawyers.

Fair enough, but *I* am going to make Loyahs jokes.

On 5/14/2020 at 10:53 AM, death tribble said:

Sociotard, God The Fair Star God of Elves

• Geography. 

• Sentient Life. Cave Elves

• Gift to Civilization. House Elves

• Fauna/Flora. Wee Folk

• Interference. Half Elves

• Mythic Monster or Guardian. Leannan Sidhe

• Secondary Domain. Grief and Lamentation

• Secondary Domain: 

• Secondary Domain:   

Nitpick: Grief and Lamentation should be a BONUS domain.

On 5/14/2020 at 12:21 PM, death tribble said:

The Fair Star’s children may believe that they are the only true children of their god and seek to destroy the others. 

Interference: Addiction to the nature of the God

Interesting. My elves are competing over who the "real" elves are, potentially to the point of Genocide? Interesting indeed.

Geography: Avalon

Hear! Oh Hear! and remember the fall of the Wood elves!

Lament! Oh Lament! remember the coming of the Loyahs!

Remember the Dread Lord Bahr Istar, the maul he named attaché.

Remember the year the Foxhair came blighted

Remember the year we were driven.

Hear! Oh Hear! and remember the Wood Elves offered refuge

Lament! Oh Lament! How they came to welcome the driven

Remember the High Elves driven from their crystalline cities

Remember the Cave Elves, driven from their caves

Remember the Half Elves, driven from humanity

Hear! Oh Hear! and remember refuge in the wilds of the wood elves

Lament! Oh Lament! The Loyahs laid siege to that last forest

Remember the elves fighting amongst themselves

Remember the resentment and mistrust

Remember the contempt

Hear! Oh Hear! and remember that each elf nation claimed supremacy

Lament! Oh Lament! For pride, the laws of hospitality were forsaken

Remember words giving way to blades and redcaps

Remember the fire among the very womb-trees

Remember the Loyahs pressing in

Remember the Wood Elves, seeing the loss of all they called sacred

Remember the Wood Elves, seeing the loss of their future

Remember the Wood Elves give their whole souls in Lament

Remember the Wood Elves submit before the blades of their guests

Hear, and Lament

And Oh! the Fair Star seeing their grief,

And Oh! the Fair Star hearing their lament

And Oh! the Fair Star bound their souls to those trees standing

Remember the day the trees and branches and vines found power

Remember the hour the Loyahs began to lament

Remember the moment the other elves received mercy

Hear! Oh Hear! This was the founding of the Isle of Apples!

Hear! Oh Hear! This was the founding of Avalon!

Lament! Oh Lament! The Wood Elves are gone.

TLDR

Presently, Avalon is an enormous island (think Cyprus) rising out of an even bigger marsh. The marsh is perpetually covered in mist, it has undead things walking just under the surface, and it is fed by the Lethe. The island itself is covered in trees, which contain the souls of the Wood Elves.

There are no more wood elves. During a terrible war, the Wood Elves welcomed in the remaining populations of other elves. The influence of Shayol, and the stress of war, led the different elf species to try to kill one another. Wood elves had an extremely long gestation time, during which their eggs stayed inside trees. During the siege, other elf species burned down these 'womb trees'. Realizing their war had ended an entire future generation, the remaining wood elves fell to grief, and prayed their souls return to trees.

The Fair Star granted this. The remaining Wood Elves all fell dead, but were spared Eternus and channeled directly into the trees. These came alive, like Ents, and destroyed the Loyah army surrounding them, but, shocking everyone, sparing the other elves responsible for the burning in the first place. The trees no longer walk (almost never), but they are still filled with the souls of the Wood Elves. With polite supplication, they grow fruits of all kinds. They will even pop out other plant based products (a bow without string, a quarterstaff, a wooden toy horse, a sheaf of paper). This is not usually worth the trip across the marsh.

Avalon is a sacred place, but it is a place to visit, not live at forever. It has a tendency to make one forget upsetting things, for the grief of the Wood Elves was so great it calls to other griefs and traps them. So, there are no cities here, but a few hermits and elvish temples.

Bitter divides remain between the elf species; Shayol will not be denied. But the Lament of the Wood Elves is one often repeated, and most elves are wary of letting their mutual animosity ever devolve into full genocide again.

On 5/13/2020 at 3:08 PM, Old Man said:

Deep within the stone that supported the worlds, Inscissivus found a gemlike mineral that appealed to Him.  It refracted light with clarity and brilliance, yet possessed unmatched hardness and edges so keen that an elf cut by it would bleed to death before noticing the wound.

Inscissivius struck these minerals with his blade, setting them to ring with vibration forever.  He named it Sevittrium, for its edges would ever cut anything they touched, even the roots of the living rock.  And He knew the people of the worlds would fashion weapons from it, and He was pleased.

Flora/Fauna/Ore: Sevittrium

11 hours ago, L. Marcus said:

Correction: I have three picks left, seeing as I was awarded one by dice?, I think.

One of these picks is A Mineral: Adamantite! A stone that is almost impossible to even scratch with common tools, it can be manipulated by magic. It is found everywhere in Helix -- it's the reason the whole shmear hasn't collapsed in on itself already. It is the core of the turns, and the walls may have a layer of ordinary rock and sky-stuff on them, but if you try to tunnel into them you will strike adamantite sooner or later. It is jet black with gold and silver flakes embedded, and it can be polished to an oily, opalescent luster. There are cities that have walls made of the stuff, and those walls have never been taken down.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have an immovable object / unstoppable force situation!

Nogrom recognizes and proclaims Our last secondary domain.

Again, what to mortals desire?  Money.  Check.  ... Food.  Check.  ... Health and a life free of pain ... ah.

Nogrom is also the deity of Health, healing, and medicine.

It may seem bitterly amusing to have physicians and money be under the dominion of the same god, but this is not so.  We attend to the wants of the mortals, while deflecting some of the collateral afflictions accompanying the relief of those wants.  Aside from the sturdy W'Brrm -- whom We noticed and elevated to full size and sentience, rather than created ex nihilo -- Nogrom is the parent of no mortal race. 

But We stand as the Friend in Need, the Generous Neighbor, the Kindly Aunt and Uncle, the Giving Hand.  Nor is it ironic that We also gave a sickness into the world, that too much love for money of its own sake induces physical illness, for We recognize that illnesses of the spirit cause at least as much woe as injuries or illnesses of the body.  We do not want large, treasure-laden temples or a priesthood accustomed to splendor and elaborate liturgies.  Rather, we want small devotions, acts of charity and mercy, the giving of aid and relief, the diminution of pain, and joy taken in work well done and the fruits of honest industry, no matter how modest.  May Our shrines be small, numerous, and attended by those who need and those who give equally.

Secondary Domain: Frost Elves

Frost elves look quite a bit like High Elves, at least when they are out and about. That's in the summer, and they live in places with wickedly short summers. Most of the year they spend frozen. They lie down in their cairns and freeze solid. Unlike the anabiosis of the cave elves, freezing is when the frost elves are most alive. Certain parts of their brains only function properly when supercooled. When their bodies freeze, they begin projecting their minds.

As they by nature must separate the physical from the spiritual, spirit magic makes intuitive sense to the Frost Elves. Their cairns are home to some of the best mages in the helix. They actually spend most of their time interacting with Spirits, but if you wish to visit, they always leave a few cold-modified house elves running about, ready to let them know you are there.

Frost elves usually have a shrine to Kylvin and, to honor him, train in logic from a young age. They have a modified trachea that makes it easy to breath cold air (even summer is cold), but leaves them silent. They use a sign language when they are in physical forms, although they can use other languages when using house elves.

Frost elves are very sensitive to high temperatures. A day a human would call "shorts and sandals time" would probably kill a Frost Elf.