World Creation Superdraft 4: May 2020

6 hours ago, Hermit said:

To Tasha, Goddess of Good. Imiplaceraubaieti is a country you have offered up to you. Filled with dark woods, misty moors and gothic towns, decaying fortresses with an overabundance of spikes upon their towers. Demonic looking statuary and high barbed arches. It rains a lot here. Guess you could say its a fixer upper. However, if you know which buildings to look for, you'll find art work of surprising beauty in this or that building, and in that art, good usually triumphs over evil.  

There is no light without the darkness....

Thank you.  However, one question....

How do I pronounce that?

Tasha had been struggling to decide how to respond to Shayol's evil actions.  She had an idea... but she could not get it out of her head that taking this path would make her as bad as Shayol and that would be what he wanted.

Tasha considered coming to Malice, a person who always treated her with an unexpected respect, and change her heart.  She was going to switch her dark heart into one of goodness, sweetness,  taking Shayol's closest disciple, his right-hand, away.  She had considered this course of action, but then...

Fox created a land for all of the Gods.  The land presented to Tasha was anything but what she had expected, but she could see beyond what was on the surface.  There was goodness everywhere.  It was an opportunity to find it.

It was then that Tasha realized that by changing the heart of Malice, she would be taking away Malice's own right to be what she was.  Tasha could see the manipulative aspect of this.  She understood that this was a slippery slope and would lead to a place where goodness was corrupted.  She could not allow that.

So... Tasha changed her interference... 

Within the land of Imiplaceraubaieti Tasha created a path where anyone can travel to find the inner good... the light in the darkness.  A path that can calm the soul and provide clarity.

Interference:  The Trail of Light

12 hours ago, Hermit said:

To Kylvn, I give you the mountainous country of Silyyaytsa, not the tallest mountains but tall enough to be top frozen all year. Below at the foothills are numerous villages pre constructed and then beyond them, ice shelves that arch out to a cold sea.  In your quest for music, you might wish to avoid Sopranos... high notes tend to cause avalanches. The cold waters are quite rich in fish though.

Vide my post about Ice Reefs, I hadn't defined mountaintops as cold, or have any knowledge that anyone else had done so. Kylvn did not insist upon it: Except for Winter, he leaves climate to Volcanis and the other gods. But he accepts Fox's decision that it be so, at least in Silyyaytsa.

On seeing the new country, Kylvn smiles austerely and says,

A gift divine this truly is, O Fox!

And if some details be a trifle edged,

As jests in names, or godly foibles tweaked,

Why, Fox must e’er be Fox, as Kylvn must

Be pompous. (Did I say those words aloud?

Ahem. Pay them no heed.) Consistency

Is in erratic way thy virtue chief.

And if the residents must take some care

In which notes they do sing? I still approve,

For discipline is good for mortal souls.

Be thou assured that I shall not forget,

And count on Kylvn’s reciprocity.

I seem to recall that "yaytsa" is Russian for "eggs." I shall have to look up the meaning of "silyy."

Dean Shomshak

12 hours ago, Hermit said:

Lastly, to the Fair Star, I offer  T'pewNeik' Olt. It has everything elves could want, fine highlands where their rich accents can burr and 'och' all they want. Grains and goods that lend well to ale and beer like they adore. Minerals enough to fill their forges as their mighty smiths go to work! You'll find each village, be it under ground grotto or perched on a higland rim, has a barber shop ready for a master trimmer to shape and braid those beards.

Well, I do have one more draft pick. And I do have enough elf species to do my theme justice.

When given divine lemons, make holy lemonade!

Lets honor Fëanor crafting the Silmarils!

Lets honor Brokkr and Sindri crafting Mjölnir

Secondary Domain: Craftsmanship and Artisanry

13 hours ago, Hermit said:

To Andrea, I leave the mysterious underkingdom of Chikajunin. We don't want you falling through the helix, so the tunnels are more wide spread than deep. Don't worry, some have that stuff laced in it that makes it unlikely to collapse. It's actually quite lovely with phosphorescent crystals and under ground pools, some heated by the heat from below. There are vapors that induce dreaming in some vents. There's a resort like town with spas and cave paintings depicting you (might be a few Fox paintings too but who doesn't love those?). If you take the passages up you'll find your country is below Eternus land. 

Andrea finds and seals the passages to the land of Eternus.

How will anyone get in or out of Chikajunin? The only open path is through the realm of Dream.

There are two ways to pass. One can find the counterpart of Chikajunin in Dream, submerge in the Reflecting Pool, and come up in the Reflecting Pool in the non-Dream Chikajunin. Or one can pass through a mirror and come out in a mirror in Chikajunin. For Every Mirror is a Gate to Dream.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wonders what kind of pick that is......

Liminus has no temples, and no priests. There are shrines, sure, at important borders -- between nations, between provinces, even between neighborhoods in larger cities. Laymen say prayers there to Liminus when they set out on any voyage longer than a casual walk, but to the god of borders, crossing a border is an act of worship in itself. Just popping over to the neighbor, or crossing from one room to another, is enough. Such a small deed, but it never the less it sends a minuscule portion of the doer's spiritual strength to Liminus. And imagine the amount of power given by nations going to war -- tens of thousands of warriors on the march, all bowing their heads to the god's shrine when crossing into enemy lands, the generals giving offerings for unimpeded advance ...

Compound these. Hundreds of nations, thousands of cities, a myriad of villages for each and every turn of the Helix -- and the turns themselves uncountable. For time immemorial. That's some amount of power, eh?

And what does Liminus do with this power? No-one knows. He uses some of it, yes, answering prayers and whatnot. But compared to what he takes in, it's not even a drop in a bucket. That which is not used is secreted away, not even his divine siblings know how or where. For later use.

For there is a purpose. Liminus has an aim in mind. And while his secreted power is vast, vast, it is not enough yet. But it's getting there. And the other gods, should they be concerned ... ?

My Interference: Liminus Takes His Toll!

3 hours ago, Lucius said:

Andrea finds and seals the passages to the land of Eternus.

How will anyone get in or out of Chikajunin? The only open path is through the realm of Dream.

There are two ways to pass. One can find the counterpart of Chikajunin in Dream, submerge in the Reflecting Pool, and come up in the Reflecting Pool in the non-Dream Chikajunin. Or one can pass through a mirror and come out in a mirror in Chikajunin. For Every Mirror is a Gate to Dream.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wonders what kind of pick that is......

It has to be a secondary domain/option pick as it is not sentient life or flora/fauna/ore.

I will take it as an option along the lines of passing through mirrors just to make it sound easy. And apologies I can't think of the correct way to explain it.

Option: Gift to civilization - Wine 

Eternus is not unwise. Even as the domain of memory is his, he understands the need to forget, if temporarily, especially in mournful times as commonly occurs with death. His humans are especially fond of wine, often drinking just for one night of blissful oblivion. In their resourcefulness they quickly adopted the drink passed it throughout the realm. 

========================================

Log God Eternus, God of Death

• Geography. The Infinite Staircase

• Sentient Life. Humans

• Gift to Civilization. Chess and Games of Skill

• Fauna: The Undead

• Interference: Dance

• Mythic Monster or Guardian. The Banshee

• Secondary Domain:  Memory

• Secondary Domain: Judgment 

• Option: Gift to civilization - Wine 

Did you see Tasha splashing nude in the shores, causing a navy to crash into the rocks nearby? Maybe you saw Eternus doing singing telegrams congratulating people on their LAST Birthdays? Maybe you even saw Malice wearing me as a hat? 

Well, it might just be a story, but it might have been me, well, except for the last, Malice has terrriiible body odor and I don't like getting near her. But I have disguised myself as other gods now and then. I've been royalty (As the number of redheaded princes might attest), I once impersonated a professor at a great academy where I caused a panic trying to introduce 'New Math'. I've worn the form of every sentient species out there and most animals and so forth. But, while impersonation is fun, and camouflage often essential, I am a bit fond of my own appearance.

But it's also possible it was another Fox, of sorts, a monster, a guardian, a red herring, a scapegoat, and, at times, my friend, though his name makes that last ironic. He first came in existence when I decided I was bored leading a certain someone on a merry chase and took a break in front of a lake and decided to bring my reflection to life. A natural shapeshifter, he has appeared as prince and pauper, mimic the skin of other monsters, and yes, often just looks like me and seeds confusion. He can never be slain for long (Though he has had to do some odd jobs for Eternus on the side or so rumor has it) and is pretty clever. 

He's the most devious monster most don't even know exists- I call him Faux!

Mythic Monster or Guardian: Faux!

8e29a0d2642275843c6d5e0c87eb5ff0.jpg

Nogrom steals, buffs, and adopts as Our own, a mythic guardian: The Man of Gold, largely stolen from the book of that title by M.A.R. Barker.

Most of the time, the Man of Gold is strictly legendary.  Stories are told of it -- some of them even contain a grain of truth -- but it cannot be found. 

But, should the time come when Evil (or some other overwhelming combination of inimical forces) threatens to conquer, or destroy, or defile the entire world and all that is in it, then the Man of Gold will manifest somewhere accessible to the world and await activation by a worthy hero.  Copies of the Man of Gold's Keys will also appear in the world.

The Man of Gold is not a humanoid.  Its obvious part is an immobile mechanism in roughly human shape, somewhat larger than human size.  (The anthropoform statue is actually just a part of a much larger mechanism, not all of which can manifest physically in the world.)  A simple majority of the Man's outer surface is gold-plated metal, though lots of wires, tubes, lights, etc., festoon the entire surface.

As befitting a save-the-world divine mcguffin, reaching the Man of Gold requires a significant, challenging quest.  Hints of how to reach it will manifest in the world, as fresh (but "old, lost") legends, as ancient writings and inscriptions whose significance (if not meaning) are suddenly recognized, guides with warnings and portents will appear and foster a will to redeem in the people around them, and  "newly re-opened" passageways into deep places in the rock massif of the Helix will be found, mutely asking to be explored.  Those capable of saving the world without needing to be rewarded by the world, or even recognized by those in the world, will be moved to seek its saving, gather the lore and the tokens, and only slowly come to be absorbed in the quest for the Man of Gold.

When reached and properly activated, the Man of Gold detects the dedicants, agents, and constructs of that inimical power, and walls these off from their source of mystic/divine/infernal/etc. energies that both enables their powers in the world and connects them to the overriding will of their master.  Instantaneously, mechanisms dissolve to powder; noncorporeal servants vanish screaming in a flash of flame; worshippers and sworn followers collapse into heaps of lifeless fetid sludge; knowers of the forbidden lore have their contaminated heads melt, explode, or dissolve cinematically a la Rene Belloq, Colonel Dietrich, and Major Toht.

On 5/18/2020 at 10:51 AM, Hermit said:

Nation states were brought into this world, yet they seem vague and nebulous! Clearly we're not a detail oriented pantheon. And so I shall make TEN great countries on one 'continent', one for each of my fellow gods!

To Nogram, I bestow the country of Nemohicarum! A lush, hilly, wooded land , and it is near the great river that rushes up. It has small villages connected by lesser rivers, and some of the lower hills are quite nice for vinyards or the like. Sadly, it has almost no metals (Unless Nogram puts it there). It must trade outside itself for such, or invade, or..well whatever. Each village has a temple to Nogram, again, lacking in metal components. save for the bare minimums. The villages are laid out in a vaguely circular pattern , if the hill in the center was further developed it might make a grand market.

Nogrom acknowledges the generosity of Our Tricksy Cousin, and notes that one does not need metals for prosperity, or even for money.  The foxes will ever be welcome, for tricks make opportunities, and entertainment, and a leavening of release from honest industry.

Kylvn approves of the Frost Elves, but they are not truly his people. And so he created the Silentiaries. He sang them into existence from living frost, breathed souls into them, and finished the work with a great silence.

Kylvn create hive insects and similar creatures as early attempts at orderly species, and the silentiaries build on those experiments. Silentiaries somewhat resemble oversized grasshoppers about six feet long, walking (or jumping) on four hind legs but with slender arms with three fingers each. They appear to be made of translucent, pale blue ice with glittering, crystalline compound eyes. Folk of other species find silentiaries very difficult to tell apart. They are cold as ice as well, and take no harm from even the greatest chill.

One reason for their species name is that silentiaries cannot speak: They breathe through spiracles in their sides. They communicate through sign language. Their language can barely be managed at a crude level by creatures with only two arms; full fluency requires four. Though they have no voices, siloentiaries can make silences, and these flavor their sign-speech the way humans use gestures to emphasize their speech. They also love music. Their styles are intricate and contrapuntal, full of fugues and interlocking rhythms.

These folk live in hives grown from living frost, labyrinthine and many-turreted, amid extensive ice-reefs. They mostly eat living ice, though they cannot survive for long without cold-tolerant ordinary crops such as turnips or rye. The farmland is of course tended collectively.

Silentiaries rarely go far from their hives except in winter. Other seasons are at least unpleasant for them, and the hottest weather is deadly to them. In winter, though, silentiaries can travel far in vessels of living ice, animated and directed by music, that stride on a dozen jointed legs through the snow. They venture out to trade, to found new hives, or to perform special feats of ice-shaping for other folk. On rare occasions they are sought for their remarkable mental prowess, for every silentiary is highly trained at memory, observation and logic; or as musicians. But this is dangerous, and not just for the

I think I need a geography pick to round out my draft. I think I am going to install volcanic shafts that will cut from the surface of one side of the thread to the opposite side. Naturally it's up to the user to determine if s/he is diving into an empty chute to carry them quickly through solid matter, or a vein of burning lava and magma.

CES  

23 hours ago, Sociotard said:

I'll admit, even as I was drafting craftsmanship for my elves, this is what popped in my head

From an ancient bit of RPG lore ...

• Real Men like Tolkien's elves
  • Real Roleplayers like Glorantha's elves
  • Loonies like Santa's elves
  • Munchkins like storm giants with pointed ears