I have never in 40 years of gaming had this happen before

JmOz

So many years ago (during 5th edition revised) I got an idea for a campaign.  

A few false starts

Decided to make it a book (never happened)

Started it about a year and a half ago.

In the first time in 40 years of gaming, a campaign ended at a natural end...I have NEVER had that happen before in any RPG

11 hours ago, JmOz said:

A few false starts

In the first time in 40 years of gaming, a campaign ended at a natural end...I have NEVER had that happen before in any RPG

Congratulations! Was it superhero or something else?  What happened?

12 hours ago, JmOz said:

A few false starts

Details, man! Details! What happened?

Congratulations, btw 👍

The Fox is Dead.  

Basically There is a generational hero (ala the Phantom) who has defended the city of San Corona for centuries.  One day him and MOST of his support staff go missing.  City gets worse, blah blah blah

A previous Fox (pushing 90) gathers a team of young heroes together to find out what happened to the current fox and crew and defend the city

Without getting to much into it, one of the new heroes became the new Fox and defeated the Lex Luther like big bad

I call is Street Champions.  Similar to but more heroic yet darker than what Hero called Dark Champions the Animated Series (Still hate that name)

We had Midnight a precog Avenger of the night

Dragonfly a Vehicle based character (think Blue Beatle)

Brute a Hulk like character 

Bandit a gadget laden Thief with a robin hood complex

Support

Spider: Computer Hacker/Information (they never met him)

Bill: The previous Fox, Money and experience, to old to be in the field

A few years ago I finished playing (as a player) in a five year long campaign of 5th Ed Super Fantasy.  The universe was being destroyed by a multiverse collision, and our quest was to find a way to preserve the continuity of sentience. The campaign ended when we succeeded. In both my and the GM's 40 year history of playing, that was the only instance of a game resolving to it's final conclusion with success.

I still play with the same group, but sadly we are now playing D&D, because even after five years of playing, none of the other players still had the first clue how to play Hero System. Over the last few years, I have learned they don't have the first clue how to play D&D either apparently. I am doomed.

My starting character in that Super Fantasy game attached, in case anyone is curious.

Vestige.pdf

3 hours ago, JmOz said:

The Fox is Dead.  

Basically There is a generational hero (ala the Phantom) who has defended the city of San Corona for centuries.  One day him and MOST of his support staff go missing.  City gets worse, blah blah blah

A previous Fox (pushing 90) gathers a team of young heroes together to find out what happened to the current fox and crew and defend the city

Without getting to much into it, one of the new heroes became the new Fox and defeated the Lex Luther like big bad

Excellent. That sounds like a truly satisfying campaign arc.

On 5/30/2020 at 11:15 PM, JmOz said:

Congrats.

This is why I tend to prefer running short form campaigns. A discrete story that shouldn't last more then three to six months. With the demands on time that comes with being an adult, and the changing nature of my work environment anything longer will probably fizzle out and die as players have scheduling conflicts, pop out kids, move away, etc. I've found far more success using this approach.

And to anyone who's been gaming with basically the same people for like 10 years or more, more power to you. I'm happy you have a stable group of players :)

On 5/31/2020 at 12:30 PM, Panpiper said:

even after five years of playing, none of the other players still had the first clue how to play Hero System. Over the last few years, I have learned they don't have the first clue how to play D&D either

"Just give me a character sheet and tell me what dice to roll.  And what abilities I have.  And what spells I have memorized.  And what armor & weapons I have.  And what equipment I'm carrying.  And..."

2 minutes ago, phydaux said:

"Just give me a character sheet and tell me what dice to roll.  And what abilities I have.  And what spells I have memorized.  And what armor & weapons I have.  And what equipment I'm carrying.  And..."

Yep, that is how the game is apparently played at my table. The GM and I are the only ones who ever bother to know anything. The others don't even write down such 'details' as  how much XP they have earned, how much gold they have, what items they are carrying, etc.. And these are not children.

But beggars cannot be choosers I suppose. The chance of filling a gaming table with like minded gamers when one is in their 60's is vanishingly remote these days. We take what we can get.

40 minutes ago, Panpiper said:

Yep, that is how the game is apparently played at my table. The GM and I are the only ones who ever bother to know anything. The others don't even write down such 'details' as  how much XP they have earned, how much gold they have, what items they are carrying, etc.. And these are not children.

But beggars cannot be choosers I suppose. The chance of filling a gaming table with like minded gamers when one is in their 60's is vanishingly remote these days. We take what we can get.

This is why I am moving to online, and TTS solutions. I have been with a fairly stable online group for the last four years. If and When I GM I will introduce them to HERO. 

On 5/31/2020 at 1:58 PM, Scott Ruggels said:

Excellent. That sounds like a truly satisfying campaign arc.

The end fight was great (Bill, the former Fox) has been captured.  The sword of the Fox whines up being a key to a mystic prison.  As the prisoner is about to stab him to set himself free.  Midnight uses her grappler to grab the sword and goes "This was your mistake, I'm the Fox" 

On 6/1/2020 at 7:25 PM, Panpiper said:

Sometimes you can. I ran a D&D 4e (the most maligned, but oh so balanced version) campaign for almost three years with basically the same group. Started with everyone at the table in person, then people started to PCS across the US. Ended with the game being my wife and I at home with everyone else virtual. We would still be running, but babies dropped four players (table was mostly couples). But it's totally possible to play remotely with people you know and/or like if you aren't happy with who you're playing with.

The other option is to run a weekly open table game of some sort at your FLGS and hand pick your favorites for an invite. That's how I put together my current group. Downside is dealing with some really poor roleplayers till you find the good ones. ;)