Extra Damage Only For Stunning

Uthanar

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little cheesy I'll admit. Buying an extra point of speed with the "only for follow-up attack" or a trigger might also be considered that.

I myself like the idea of simply more damage dice, but with a only for stun exceeding con purposes limitation. I'd say it's a - 1/2 limitation (It's only slightly less powerful than other attacks-which-can't-accindetally-kill-someone, which is what it is clearly competing with).

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have my books handy right now, but I believe Change Environment's Stunning effect is 20 Active Points and can be resisted with a CON roll. You could link it to an attack power and get the effect it sounds like you are going for.

I've don't have the AGP 1. How does this Stunning effect work?

Here's an example of using it to build a Taser Shotgun:

27 Taser Shotgun: Change Environment (-6 to Characteristic Roll or Skill Roll, Long-Lasting 1 Turn, Stunning), Sticky (+1/2) (75 Active Points); OAF (-1), Instant (-1/2), Can Be Deflected (-1/4), 4 clips of 12 Charges (Increased Reloading Time: 2 Full Phases; -0)

[Notes: From APG1 page 83 - The Stunned effect lasts as long as the Change Environment is maintained (1 Turn*). However, when affected the victim gets to make a CON Roll immediately (at -6*), and if the roll succeeds the attack has no effect on him. If the roll fails, he gets to make an additional CON Roll every Phase he’s affected at a cumulative +1 (so +1 on his second roll, +2 on his third, and so on). As soon as any roll succeeds, the power immediately stops affecting him and he has his full Phase in which to act.] - END=[12]

edit - here's the a more detailed build I found:

15 Taser Shotgun: Change Environment (-6 to Characteristic Roll or Skill Roll, Long-Lasting 1 Turn, Stunning), Sticky (+1/2) (75 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Minimum 9-13 (STR Min. Cannot Add/Subtract Damage; -1), Instant (-1/2), 2 clips of 12 Charges (Increased Reloading Time: 1 Turn; -1/2), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4), Can Be Deflected (-1/4)

[Notes: From APG1 page 83 - The Stunned effect lasts as long as the Change Environment is maintained (1 Turn*). However, when affected the victim gets to make a CON Roll immediately (at -6*), and if the roll succeeds the attack has no effect on him. If the roll fails, he gets to make an additional CON Roll every Phase he’s affected at a cumulative +1 (so +1 on his second roll, +2 on his third, and so on). As soon as any roll succeeds, the power immediately stops affecting him and he has his full Phase in which to act.] - END=[12]

article-1262215-08F3136C000005DC-724_468

Oh it's worth way, way more than a -1/2.  Waaaay more.  I'd say the limitation should be somewhere in the -1 1/2 to -2 range, in all likelihood.  That's a lot more than other people suggest, but I think it's appropriate.  It would probably never be smaller than -1, unless it's built as part of an overall team strategy.

First you have to consider the size of the attack.  How often will the average opponent be stunned by it?  Can you exceed campaign dice limits with your attack?  If the average opponent has 20 Def and 25 Con, and you've got a 12D6 "can only stun" energy blast, then it's unlikely to do anything at all to most opponents.  Now if those are the average defenses and you've got an 18D6 "can only stun" attack, then it's a lot more likely to stun them.

Then you've got to factor in that the attack can't actually knock anyone unconscious.  If that's your only attack, the only thing you can do is keep someone stunned.  You can't actually finish a fight with it.  In my experience, most attacks are designed to work through attrition -- you nickle and dime your opponent to unconsciousness.  This power doesn't do that, and doesn't contribute to that, and leaves a person perfectly healthy whether it works or not.

Finally you have to realize that you're using an action every time you do it.  Even if you're successful, all you've done is use one of your actions so that your opponent doesn't get one of theirs.  You're breaking even, except you still have to worry about rolling to-hit, rolling good enough damage, and spending Endurance.  And that's if your power works exactly as it's designed.  Combat-wise, you end up in the exact same place you were before, except minus some Endurance and it's a few segments later.  If you miss, or don't beat his Con score, then you're actually in a worse place then you were before.  With normal attacks at least you're gradually wearing down your opponent's Stun total.

Now, the actual value is going to be very campaign specific and very build specific.  If you have enough dice that you can Con stun Mechanon nearly every time you hit him, and that's the plan so that the rest of the team can then pound on him with impunity, then it's still a pretty useful power.  That's presuming, though, that a good amount of your fights are "team versus one big villain".  If you normally fight Viper teams then your power is worse than useless, because you're going to be regularly outnumbered.  At that point it's like a Viper guy is using his action to stun you.  "Hey guys, I gave up my action by him shooting at me so that he can't do anything else this phase!"

If your team has well developed strategies for how to best take advantage of this power, then the limitation may not be worth as much.  If it's in a multipower with a bunch of other attacks, then the limitation may not be worth as much because it's just one move out of many (and you're only spending like 3 or 4 points on the slot anyway).

The only real benefit I see is if you target an opponent who has a lot of non-persistent powers, especially defenses (and like everything else, it's better if you have a high Speed).  You shoot Force Field Guy and his 30/30 Force Field drops.  Then your next action comes along before his does and you blast him with your normal attack (in the multipower) and hit his puny 8 PD and ED.

Now that's a legitimate use of the power, and that's why it's worth some points.  But remember that the power is very specific and it is very limited.  Stunning someone in Hero is usually very powerful not just because they lose their next chance to go, but also because you blew 35 Stun off of them.  This power doesn't do that second effect.

Or just make Suppress its own separate Power again.

In 5e you could do this:

20 Tazer Round Loaded Shotgun: Suppress STUN 8d6 (standard effect: 24 points), [DEX & STUN] simultaneously (+1/2) (60 Active Points); OAF (Shotgun; -1), Can Be Missile Deflected (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4), Physical Manifestation (Shell sticking to victim; -1/4), Limited Range (Shell must hit target with enough velocity to stick to clothes or skin [There is no damage from impact]; -1/4), 8 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn each (-0)

[Notes: Negative Dexterity - At DEX 1 or less, a character is CV 0. A character with negative DEX loses control over his reactions, and must succeed with DEX Rolls to perform any Actions requiring physical movement (even just aiming at a target, or making Gestures). If he fails the DEX Roll, he cannot perform the Action that Phase. Characters with a DEX of -30 (or minus their initial DEX value, whichever is better for the character) or less may take no physical actions.] - END=[8 cc]

It would take more than one hit to Stun most targets but it would keep them down for a few Phases.

But Stun Only is already -0 and it does contribute to knocking out a target.  Only for Stunning should be worth at least -1/4 and probably more for the reasons pointed out by Massey.  Another reason is that many GM's impose a Damage Class cap if not a flat Active Point cap.  If only the former, a reduction to Real Points would be about the only way this would get used by allowing some Advantages like AOE Accurate to be added and still be able afford the ability outside of any other capped frameworks.