TV Champions

Tjack

2 hours ago, mattingly said:

The Middleman

The Librarians

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

Stan Against Evil

The Middleman was great and I still don't understand why they canceled it.

The Librarians started great and then declined fast.

Never could get into the last two, though I plan on trying again someday.

7 hours ago, dmjalund said:

Watch the episode of Happy Days where he first guest stars

That’s a story Garry Marshall told.  If Mork is a character you’ll be interested in playing someday, or just think would be good in a campaign you ran then tell us why.

I don’t mean to pick on you, but people are just shouting out the names of TV shows rather than what they think about those shows or characters and how they’d fit in a game.

5 hours ago, Old Man said:

We were playing in the "hit location" era, hence the unexpectedly brief campaign.  It was a mistake, in hindsight.

Yeah, that’ll do it.  It’s a good rule for keeping things accurate, but it does slow things down to a crawl sometimes.

Action heroes seem to never get hit except in the upper arm or leg and it never seems to slow them down any.

1 minute ago, Matt the Bruins said:

I'd think the Lone Ranger would be a natural for such a game. And essential if werewolves are involved at any point!

Didn’t you know the secret truth?!?  The Lone Ranger is really a daywalker who’s family was killed by the vampire king Butch Cavendish who was an emigrated Englishman turned by Dracula.

The Ranger and Tonto who is a powerful Medicine man roam the southwest searching for creatures of the night. The Ranger wears a full face mask to hide his fangs and strange glowing eyes.

The Lone Ranger has begun to be shown from the very beginning on British TV. It was made in 1949 and it holds up well. Three episodes in and the ranger has met Tonto who he saved previously, found an injured Silver and nursed the horse back to life and set up an HQ over a silver mine which is where the silver bullets come from. The person who killed his colleagues has been arrested and his plans thwarted.

20 hours ago, archer said:

There used to be a lot of "I want to play the A-Team".

But I'd think building a tank out of tin cans each session would get old after a while.

Only out of tin cans? Macgyver can make a nuclear weapon with a wad of chewed up bubble gum.

16 hours ago, Old Man said:

The one campaign of Danger Int I played in lasted until phase 8 of turn one. 

A steampunk Wild West/Deadlands/Brisco County/Kung Fu campaign could really work though. 

Gun Frontier.

It's an OVA anime set in the west, with a cowboy Harlock and the main character of Toshiro.

3 hours ago, death tribble said:

The Lone Ranger has begun to be shown from the very beginning on British TV. It was made in 1949 and it holds up well. Three episodes in and the ranger has met Tonto who he saved previously, found an injured Silver and nursed the horse back to life and set up an HQ over a silver mine which is where the silver bullets come from. The person who killed his colleagues has been arrested and his plans thwarted.

It’s good to know that the Masked Rider of the plains is still drawing in new fans still. 
   I was riffing on the origin provided from the original radio show of the 1930’s.

In that, rookie Texas Ranger John Reid, his older brother and a troop of Rangers were betrayed and bushwhacked by the Butch Cavendish gang.  Killing everyone else and leaving John for dead, he was found by his boyhood friend Tonto and returned to health. As Tonto said “ All others are dead, you lone Ranger now.”

Reid makes a mask from his brothers leather vest using the two bullet holes for eyeholes, and decides to seek justice in a way that he can never be found and betrayed again. (cue William Tell Overture)   Tonto joins him on his quest and together the tame the wild stallion Silver, discover the mine that provides the pure metal for his bullets and begin the greatest legend of the west.

If you haven’t seen it yet go to YouTube and look up the Lone Ranger’s creed.  It should be recited by schoolchildren every morning and issued to every superhero along with their mask & cape.

The origin is the same for 1949. It is Cavendish who ambushes the troop of rangers. The man who betrays the rangers is shot by Cavendish and left for dead. The ranger and betrayer survive but the betrayer is killed attempting to kill the ranger. Tonto finds the ranger and nurses him back to health. After they leave the ambush site they find Silver and nurse the horse back to life. It was injured by a buffalo. The ranger rescues an ex-ranger and he and Tonto are the only ones who know the Lone Ranger's ID. The ex ranger and the Lone Ranger know of a silver mine which is hidden and they use these to make the famous bullets. Tonto and the Ranger go after Cavendish and by the end of episode 3 have stopped him. 

58 minutes ago, steriaca said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_Frontier?wprov=sfla1

I was going to say Trigun, but it is too sci-fi.

Well fine then, I’ve thought for a long time that Cowboy Bebop would make a fine basis for a game.  If I was going to mash it with anything though it would be Firefly.  
   It would be pretty cool seeing both crews chasing after a bounty or both are hired to transport a much needed medicine through pirate territory with a huge bonus to the first one there.

On 2/23/2021 at 10:10 PM, Tjack said:

Sounds great!  How would you write him up?   Wasn’t he an expert on different cultures or something? 
I could look it up but let’s see how you all would do the research and make these characters happen!

Multiform would be a good place to start. Manimal turned into a hawk and a panther every episode. The third form varied, but he turned into a snake at least twice.

I thought I had posted this earlier. I guess I forgot to hit the submit button.

9 hours ago, Tjack said:

Well fine then, I’ve thought for a long time that Cowboy Bebop would make a fine basis for a game.  If I was going to mash it with anything though it would be Firefly.  
   It would be pretty cool seeing both crews chasing after a bounty or both are hired to transport a much needed medicine through pirate territory with a huge bonus to the first one there.

I drew inspiration from both those sources, along with the BSG reboot, for my SF campaign. It was originally a space opera game until I decided to go the hard science route.