"Normal games" for cosmic-level heroes

Echo3Niner

So, have a new campaign starting Saturday (05/29) and I have the first few games planned out - I also have the campaign-long concept planned <link>; what I need some assistance with will be the "normal games" that fill in the campaign.

What kind of "'normal games" or filler games, would makes sense for two cosmic-powered supers?  One is a hyper-flying energy shooter (Binary/Silver Surfer), the other is a cosmic powered martial/brick.

In a "normal" campaign; it's fairly easy - bad guys are robbing a bank, or blowing something up, or stealing a super-weapon, etc.  A little harder for me to come up with the run-a-the-mill cosmic-level "normal games".

All ideas welcome!

Edited by Echo3Niner
Edited link

Maybe try running the space/cosmic version of “You’re all in a tavern”.  A sleazy space station bar, (think Quark’s or that place on Tatooine) waiting around for somebody to make contact or for a ship to arrive, or the players ship to be repaired or cleared through customs.  Start with the D&D tropes and build from there. If it’s just a filler episode you don’t need to pour to much deep thought into it. By their very nature fillers are supposed to be a palette cleanser between serious adventures. Just have fun, that goes for you as well as the players.

Save the Planet from the asteroid.

Stop the pirates interrupting the trade routes.

Capture the escapee(s) from the intergalactic super-max.

Evade and stop the bounty hunters after you.

Guard the diplomatic conference from a terrorist.

It's just a matter of scale. You can use old Silver Surfer, Green Lantern or LSH plots as best fits your campaign tone.

1 hour ago, Grailknight said:

Save the Planet from the asteroid.

Stop the pirates interrupting the trade routes.

Capture the escapee(s) from the intergalactic super-max.

Evade and stop the bounty hunters after you.

Guard the diplomatic conference from a terrorist.

It's just a matter of scale. You can use old Silver Surfer, Green Lantern or LSH plots as best fits your campaign tone.

Oh, I like the escapee(s) from Intergalactic super-max!  I also like the diplomatic conference.  Both those fit nice in my campaign.

I also like a variation on the "save the planet from the asteroid"; thanks to Debris (TV show), I can do "save the planet from falling alien debris" and then spinoff with "now deal with the ramifications" and "where did this come from?"

Thank you; great ideas!

10 hours ago, Tjack said:

Maybe try running the space/cosmic version of “You’re all in a tavern”.  A sleazy space station bar, (think Quark’s or that place on Tatooine) waiting around for somebody to make contact or for a ship to arrive, or the players ship to be repaired or cleared through customs.  Start with the D&D tropes and build from there. If it’s just a filler episode you don’t need to pour to much deep thought into it. By their very nature fillers are supposed to be a palette cleanser between serious adventures. Just have fun, that goes for you as well as the players.

For cosmic-powered supers, that's a bit extreme (as it could quickly escalate into collateral damage up to and including destroying the planet they're on)...

However, did remind me of the "captured for the arena" trope...  Thanks for the inspiration.

Edited by Echo3Niner
closed parentheses

Return exotic alien creature to its owner (probably the child of an important political or military figure) or to the zoo.  But the creature is hard to catch as it can turn invisible, desolid, and/or it teleports.  And as they chase it around, it causes a number of accidents where the heroes would be compelled to save innocent people.  You might watch the Harry Potter spin-off movie Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them for inspiration.

5 hours ago, Ockham's Spoon said:

Return exotic alien creature to its owner (probably the child of an important political or military figure) or to the zoo.  But the creature is hard to catch as it can turn invisible, desolid, and/or it teleports.  And as they chase it around, it causes a number of accidents where the heroes would be compelled to save innocent people.  You might watch the Harry Potter spin-off movie Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them for inspiration.

I LOVE this one - for sure on the list!  Thanks.

3 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned a high-powered hero classic, saving people from natural disasters: earthquake, wildfire, hurricane, etc. Of course the cause of the disaster doesn't necessarily have to be natural...

Yeah, first game for the human hero; earthquake in San Francisco and Golden Gate bridge is collapsing...

3 hours ago, Echo3Niner said:

Yeah, first game for the human hero; earthquake in San Francisco and Golden Gate bridge is collapsing...

If you want an already designed version of this, I suggest Steve Perrin's "The Star-Devourer". The Champions stats are 2e/3e, but conversion is trivial, if not unnecessary.

Incidentally, it's one of the finest Batman/Superman-type scenarios ever published. The Awesome character gets to play with the monster while the Normal-ish character gets to solve the problem.