Pariah

Lots of upsets but that really isn't surprising.  In the least.  Aussie Open often has more than most majors, because everyone's coming off an extended break.  And then, of course, with omicron, the disruption level is back to Really High.

Shapovalov just finished off Zherev...in straights.  3, 6, 3.  Big surprise;  he'd lost, I think they said, last 17 matches against top 5 opponents.  Next up is Nadal, who played an insane first set against Mannarino...16-14 in the tie break...but Mannarino's tank was on empty after that.  2 and 2 in the next 2 sets.  I remember Shapo beating Nadal in Canada in 2017, in a *brilliant* match that was a total joy to watch.  Whether I 'll see this next battle?  Hard to say.  Once you get this late into the tournament, there's very few matches remaining.  The early (Aussie time) matches are gone.  Evening matches...we're 6 hours later (absolute sense) so they're VERY early morning starts, pretty often.  That's the frustrating thing with the Aussie Open.

I watched both matches last night. I was impressed with Mannarino's game that first set. It was sad to see him fall apart afterwards, but after all that effort and apparent health issues, I wasn't surprised. Shapovalov beating Zverev was a bit unexpected, but not as big a surprise as Anisimova beating Osaka.

On 1/27/2022 at 10:52 AM, Pariah said:

Did he learn hits like that from Grayson Allen?

Aussie Open:  haven't seen Collins that much.  My feeling is Barty in straights;  she's just a big step up for Collins.  That said, hey, Collins has taken advantage of the opportunities, climbing from #30 to #10, which is a massive jump, and bodes well for a great season.  #10 will often mean a top-8 seed, as players above her sit out for one reason or another.  That means there's no chance of facing another top seed until the quarters.  Of course, women's tennis has an insane number of upsets every tournament, so maybe it doesn't mean as much.  

Nadal vs. Medvedev for the men.  I rather dislike Medvedev, altho he came off rather better in the post-match after his QF I think...maybe he's loosening up, but that remains to be seen.  And Rafa is Rafa.    First to 21 would be great.  Stat I saw from the semis...Federer and Virushead have 31 GS finals appearances, Nadal now has 30.  Insane.  I still largely expect Virushead will pass everyone eventually;  Federer has age and health as 2 *big* limiters, and Nadal's got his own health concerns, and his style is so physical that they hinder him more, IMO.  

3 hours ago, death tribble said:

Barty wins the Australian Open

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/60180955

I was watching it at 5 am, after a mostly sleepless night. I dozed off again in the 2nd set while Collins was still ahead and woke up just as Barty won the match. A great comeback, and I slept throughh it! :( At least I got to watch the trophy presentation.

9 hours ago, tkdguy said:

I was watching it at 5 am, after a mostly sleepless night. I dozed off again in the 2nd set while Collins was still ahead and woke up just as Barty won the match. A great comeback, and I slept throughh it! :( At least I got to watch the trophy presentation.

I caught some of the presentation during the replay, at a more sane hour.  Wish I hadn't...the woman who spoke drove me up the wall.  She blathered on for over 4 minutes.  She's the head of Tennis Australia, I believe...hey, look, we DON'T CARE ABOUT YOU.  Utterly banal.  Drove me away once I found out that, yes, Barty won.  

I will grant that inviting Goolagong to be a part of it was very cool.  I vaguely recall enjoying watching her.  

Oh yeah, that's about to start, isn't it?  Well, yeah, has started.  Some events do take a while to get through their draws.

I can't get terribly excited about events on tape delay.  Well....might take that back.  Events are going to be replayed and those can be streamed, apparently, so...between now and early March, there's no weekday, daytime sports except perhaps tennis.

In 2006, American snowboarder racer Lindsey Jacobellis had a commanding lead in the finals of the women's snowcross race. Ad she crested the final hill, she appeared to execute a celebratory trick; she landed unsteadily and nearly went out of bounds. She ended up finishing second in the race and basically became a punchline. Since then, she has never even made the medal round at the Olympics.

That changed today. At the age of 36, Lindsey Jacobellis won gold in the women's snowcross. 

Stop me if you've heard this one before...

A Russian athlete has tested positive for a banned substance.

Oh, she's a figure skater.  And 15.  And the first female to land a quad.  And whether the stuff actually helps performance or not, is unclear.  But it is banned (and sounds dangerous in what it does) so....

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/33254263/russian-figure-skater-kamila-valieva-tested-positive-banned-drug-according-reports

The rationale about the CAS decision is because she's 15, and therefore gets special treatment and less harsh punishment.

Which I find utterly pathetic.  The consequence is total chaos.  Remember Serena's meltdown at the US Open against Osaka?  It was horrible for Osaka;  she did nothing wrong but it overshadowed the match and the title.  That's what we're having here.  It's also quite likely NOT the kid's fault;  she's 15, she's probably not got a whole lot of independence.  It darn sure isn't the fault of any of the other competitors.  But it's a total CF.

Another consequence is that the CAS itself is called into question.  She might suffer irreparable harm?  What about every other top contender, and the sport itself?  

I was waiting to see what the basis for allowing her to skate was...and it's BS.  She should not be skating.