Pariah

Nice typo there, Mr. P....

The amount that was found in McKay's sample was trillionths of a gram, which didn't have any impact on the star goaltender's performance. 

I normally roll my eyes at "it was an accident!"....but here?  Trillionths of a gram?  Unless the stuff metabolizes out really fast, that darn sure feels like it could be contamination only.

On 4/20/2022 at 7:52 AM, Pariah said:

You don't see a lot of doping cases in college hockey, and certainly not among goaltenders.

Dryden McKay, reigning Hobey Baker Award winner, banned for six months due to doping violation

(The Hobey Baker Award is an annual award given to the top NCAA men's ice hockey player.)

Sounds like a good reason to turn pro unless the NHL/AHL/ECHL honor NCAA suspensions. Even that doesn't keep him out of the draft (unless he's already been drafted, which is not uncommon in college hockey) or prevent teams from giving him a signing bonus. And since elite goalies are hard to come by, some team might do just that so he has money to tide him over while he works on his game.

my apologies. The first of the Monuments was on 19th March and I did not post who won as I was waiting for a BBC link. For some reason it was not covered there.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/milan-san-remo/

Matej Mohoric won. Tadej Pogacar came 4th and was not happy about it. And that is the reason I was going to post it.

The Snooker World Championships are into the semi-finals which will be contested by the Class of 92 and Judd Trump.

Class of 92 refers to three professionals who turned professional that year and have each won the World Championship more than once each plus other titles. They are Mark Williams, John Higgins and Ronnie O'Sullivan.

All four players have won the title. Higgins last in 2011 but he was the losing finalist from 20117-2019. Williams won in 2018, Trump in 2019 and O'Sullivan in 2020. Williams win in 2018 holds the record for longest of multiple wins as he last won in 2003 (he also won in 2000) giving a 15 year gap. Higgins has won 4 times and O'Sullivan 6.

Ronnie O'Sullivan has won the 2022 Snooker World Championship. He has equalled the record of 7 wins in the modern era which he now holds with Stephen Hendry. Steve Davis won 6 titles in the 80s, Ray Reardon won 6 titles in the 70s while Hendry won seven in the 90s (90-99). O'Sullivan has won in three decades 2001-10, 2011-2020 and 2022 which no other player has done in the modern era. He also holds the record for being the oldest champion at 46 which he took from Ray Reardon who was 45 when he last won.

He was also playing Trump (no relation to you know who) so I wanted O'Sullivan to win. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/61294622

Due to injury, the Nashville Predators started a goalkeeper with no playoff experience tonight in game 1 of their series against the Colorado Avalanche. The Avs scored a power play goal against the new guy about three minutes into the game. And then scored another about 30 seconds later. And then kept scoring. The score was 5-0 at the end of the first period and 7-2 at the end of the game.

Nashville's starting goalie is out at least one more game.

10 hours ago, Pariah said:

Due to injury, the Nashville Predators started a goalkeeper with no playoff experience tonight in game 1 of their series against the Colorado Avalanche. The Avs scored a power play goal against the new guy about three minutes into the game. And then scored another about 30 seconds later. And then kept scoring. The score was 5-0 at the end of the first period and 7-2 at the end of the game.

Nashville's starting goalie is out at least one more game.

At least they didn't have to pluck someone out of the crowd. Who does that?

NHL teams usually designate someone (either a ticket holder or someone they pay and give the ticket to) as an Emergency Goaltender. If either team runs out of dressed goalies due to injury or ejection, the poor sod comes into the game and tries to survive for the remaining time. He can be summoned to play for either team, home or visitor. This is a very rare event, but it does happen on occasion. There was a game this season or last where it happened, and the guy was a folk hero for a while.

:celebrate

Sounders crush Pumas in Seattle 3-0 (after having held serve in Mexico City with a 2-2 draw last week), becoming the first US team to win the CONCACAF Champions League.

Seattle history recap

EDIT: some highlights on this page

Edited by Cancer
adding link with highlights

On 5/5/2022 at 6:41 AM, Cancer said:

:celebrate

Sounders crush Pumas in Seattle 3-0 (after having held serve in Mexico City with a 2-2 draw last week), becoming the first US team to win the CONCACAF Champions League.

Seattle history recap

EDIT: some highlights on this page

From what I can tell this qualifies the Sounders to play in another upper level international tournament.  But I can't seem to find details.  Do you know anything about this?

There is supposedly another higher level tournament, something like one among various federation champions and other high-level winners.  In looking around about that, I have seen several news items, all of which seem to say, "No one knows at this point." 

In my rather jaundiced view of how international sports events get run, I think that means that FIFA honchos haven't had enough money tossed at them for them to grant anyone the official permission to host the next-level tournament.

4 hours ago, Cancer said:

There is supposedly another higher level tournament, something like one among various federation champions and other high-level winners.  In looking around about that, I have seen several news items, all of which seem to say, "No one knows at this point." 

In my rather jaundiced view of how international sports events get run, I think that means that FIFA honchos haven't had enough money tossed at them for them to grant anyone the official permission to host the next-level tournament.

I think it is something different.  But maybe related. 

Qatar getting the World Cup was the straw that broke the camels back and restructured FIFA, sent a lot of the old guard to jail and changed the way the countries are selected from a small committee to the current open vote by all the members.  The only thing was they left the last decision by the old guard, Qatar in place. 

The World Cup usually happens across two months in the Jun/Jul time-frame every four years, but this year it will be in Nov/Dec. 

The FIFA Club World Cup is annual is one month long and is normally held in Dec, though the last two were shifted to Feb.

There is no way they can schedule two large international tournaments a month apart, so the FIFA Club World Cup is probably being rescheduled.  Personally I would have canceled the Qatar deal since the trials showed it was pure bribery or at least made them stick to the traditional schedule.

But I'm not in charge. 

38 minutes ago, Spence said:

I think it is something different.  But maybe related. 

Qatar getting the World Cup was the straw that broke the camels back and restructured FIFA, sent a lot of the old guard to jail and changed the way the countries are selected from a small committee to the current open vote by all the members.  The only thing was they left the last decision by the old guard, Qatar in place. 

The World Cup usually happens across two months in the Jun/Jul time-frame every four years, but this year it will be in Nov/Dec. 

The FIFA Club World Cup is annual is one month long and is normally held in Dec, though the last two were shifted to Feb.

There is no way they can schedule two large international tournaments a month apart, so the FIFA Club World Cup is probably being rescheduled.  Personally I would have canceled the Qatar deal since the trials showed it was pure bribery or at least made them stick to the traditional schedule.

But I'm not in charge. 

Far, far, far, far, FAR too much money committed to do that.  WC rights are sold everywhere.

Plus, every other group's schedule has that period blocked out;  ain't no way the major leagues will even consider playing, and obviously the national teams are...playing in it.  The NHL had a bit of a mess when it decided to skip the Winter Olympics;  the World Cup would be far worse.

Yeah, the Sounders qualified for the Club WC.  But according to wikipedia, there's no date set.  Found this, which is relatively recent.  The English isn't very good but the gist is, there's no planned date.  At least one major stumbling block is that Europe already has a major scheduling issue, what with UEFA and the Champions League, on top of the regular league play.  Article also points out that the pandemic has led to some pretty massive losses, as well as losses of sponsorships.
https://pledgetimes.com/the-new-version-of-the-club-world-cup-between-2023-and-2024/

The ATP Madrid Open final is about to start...Zverev vs. Carlos Alcaraz.  

The noteworthy aspect is that, to reach the final, Alcaraz, who turned 19 last week, beat Nadal in the quarters...and Djokovic in the semis.

Alcaraz started 2021 at #141.  He had a brilliant year, climbing all the way to #38 to start this year.  (That's hard to do;  you either need a wild card into a tournament, or go through qualifying.  #38 means you're never getting ranked...so you may face a highly ranked player in the 1st or 2nd round...and thus, probably lose.  So you don't get to raise your rankings.)

This year, it's been all engines firing.  3 titles...including a Masters 1000 in Miami.  From #38 to #6 when the rankings are updated tomorrow.  (Win or lose.)  

Hopefully he doesn't exhaust himself...Thiem had an issue with that, with some big dropoffs in the second half of the year due to, it was believed, fatigue.  That much success == a lot of matches played...this is Alcaraz' 31st match this year.  Even when you're not even 20, it adds up.

EDIT:  6-3, 6-1 Alcaraz in the final.  Pretty much a whoopin'.  Gives him 2 Masters 1000 wins, plus 2 Masters 500's, so far...and a total of about $3.7M in prize money this year.

And he won't be legal to drink for 2 full years.........